Justin and littlebuf's elk hunt

littlebuf

Banned
there's no separate fly. but you can pull the sides all the way to the ground. and I had it darn near there. the trade off is condensation at that point as with it pitched that low and the beak pulled down it doesn't vent at all. i had two inches of water up to the bathtub floor and it kept it out. and that was on top of a hill!

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Littlebuf hates bugs. I don't think he'll ever get a floorless shelter. Plus, it would have been impossible to keep a fire going with everything being that wet.

Shrek

WKR
For some reason I thought the tarp tent squall was a floorless shelter. I just googled it and I see it's not. What is the tarp you are running in the picture Justin ?

S

Salmo-Priest

lilbuff, what happened to your headlamp and what brand?

Thanks

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
For some reason I thought the tarp tent squall was a floorless shelter. I just googled it and I see it's not. What is the tarp you are running in the picture Justin ?

That is the Zpacks Hexamid solo plus. It weighs 7.1 oz. with stakes.

I have been using it all year so far and it has been great. Friday night it wasn't stormy but it rained all night and I stayed perfectly dry. I like to sleep with my bivy open and I haven't had to zip it yet.

After this season I may send it back in to have them add the beak onto it so I have more room for my gear to stay dry. When I ordered it they said I could get it without and if I decided I wanted it they could add it for $40.00.

Here is a link to my thread about this system. Overall I have been really impressed.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/show...d-sleep-system&highlight=shelter+sleep+system

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll be honest when I first saw Justin's tarp on the RS hiking trip my initial thought was "this guy is bat shit crazy to be sleeping in that". Well after the hunt with him & littlebuf I was pretty impressed with it. Definitely wouldn't rule them out.

I'll be honest when I first saw Justin's tarp on the RS hiking trip my initial thought was "this guy is bat shit crazy to be sleeping in that". Well after the hunt with him & littlebuf I was pretty impressed with it. Definitely wouldn't rule them out.

Haha I doubt I'd use it late season but for what Justin does you just can't beat that weight for coverage! I'd really like to pick up a cuben shelter at some point.

Mike

Mike

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Mike,
I'm going to take that thing to Colorado in November just because you said that. HaHa!

I need to get some snow on it anyway!

I'll bring my SL5 for backup though!

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mike,
I'm going to take that thing to Colorado in November just because you said that. HaHa!

I need to get some snow on it anyway!

I'll bring my SL5 for backup though!

Like I said.

Bat shit crazy. Lol

littlebuf

Banned
lilbuff, what happened to your headlamp and what brand?

Thanks

its a black diamond one, its not very old and it was one of there mid level head lamps I would guess. I think I paid 40 bucks for it. just stopped working. new batteries and it would have a dead battery light. kinda pissed me off. im going to clean up all the contacts and pull it apart after the season to see if I can get it to work again. but ill never trust it

littlebuf

Banned
well im off for round 2. wish me luck. some how its harder to leave again after coming home for a few days. I swear those girls of mine have me wrapped around there finger. but they sure like elk meat so off I go

littlebuf

Banned
Got ba k to camp about an hour ago. Just how I left it. You gotta like honest people, at least a couple have walked by from the looks of the trail and all my stuff was safe and sound. Time to check the trail cam now