K3 Frame Replacement

md126

WKR
Steve, Are the replacement Ti frames still adjustable as far as height like the aluminum K3?
Thanks, Mike

ps- A+ customer service

Great customer service.
My frame seems to be just fine, hauled A LOT of meat this year. 3 elk, 4 deer, (my animals and family)

i will switch it out to the Ti version as soon as i get it.

thank you again for instilling the confidence i should have in my most coveted piece of gear for all year

bamagun

FNG
My lid was just wider. Everything else worked exactly the same. In fact, I can probably use this lid for larger loads. It's still a good piece of kit. It just fit a little wider and didn't look as nice. It worked just fine.

Right now, I don't think you can find better customer service from an pack company. I love my K3 4800 and look forward to many happy years of use. Hopefully EXO can deal with the inevitable growing pains that come with having an excellent product in the age in instant fads and followings.

You're right about the customer service being excellent, but hopefully in the future they wont have to rely on it and will instead rely on quality assurance as their brand reputation. I'll keep handing over my money and hope that is the case.

Mike, definitely sends up some pics on your horizontal compression straps. One of the main reasons we use the Rock Lockster buckle is because it grabs the webbing so well and doesn't slip compared to others. Pretty rare to hear the webbing is working loose. Are you strapping around a gun or bow where the buckle possibly sits at an awkward angle?

Replacing all of the metal frames is definitely a kick to the gut but we know its the right thing to do for our customers. No doubt it's a big financial pill to swallow but I built this company extremely lean and efficient to be able to absorb down turns in the economy or something like this happening. Its hurts but we've already moved on from it from a financial standpoint. The K4 frame is actually already in the works but we are looking at 2022 for a release.
I am super impressed with your actions, relative to most companies and how they deal with things like this. never seen this level of proactive customer service I can think of....

I need to buy another pack this summer, and this situation carries me in a little different direction. I WILL be getting another EXO this summer. I like your packs, and this is very comforting owning products of a company that composes themselves as you have.

i was leaning on getting another MR, but this deserves support.

Are customers required to send in the old frames to get a new one or will all the "flawed" frames end up in the classifieds from customers trying to double dip?

Talk about a win/win. You sell your old frame on the classifieds. The buyer has no claim on the updated frame, but they MUST buy an EXO bag to use the "bad" frame. While they can't turn in the frame for a new one, they know they have a 99% chance of no issues. EXO makes bucks through the sale of more bags. Brilliant!

bigharge

WKR
Talk about a win/win. You sell your old frame on the classifieds. The buyer has no claim on the updated frame, but they MUST buy an EXO bag to use the "bad" frame. While they can't turn in the frame for a new one, they know they have a 99% chance of no issues. EXO makes bucks through the sale of more bags. Brilliant!
Believe they are just sending the titanium piece that inserts into the frame not the entire frame package. You can pull the old piece out and just insert the new titanium

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Dunky

WKR
yeah i don't think you would get much use out of the metal frame portion without the supporting structure/harness , etc , Look kinda funny with bag on there tied to your back with paracord

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
How is the frame going to sell more bags? I'm sure they are just sending the metal U that goes in the fabric. The fabric that makes up the "harness" on the frame is very different from a K2 to a K3 so there isn't really any point in trying to get a K3 frame into a K2 harness. So guys selling the frames would really be pointless. I guess you could pick up a couple bucks to someone that would prefer to run the Al frame instead of the Ti frame and wants a backup. I think that the sales price minus the shipping would be a wash. I personally have filled out the form on the Ti frame. I am going to continue running my Al frame until and if it breaks. Then I will switch to the Ti frame. I went ahead and filled out the request so not to put exo at a loss later. From a management standpoint it just make sense for them to get them shipped out now. I'm also sure that exo isn't asking for the Al frames back as whats the point on them paying shipping back to trash them. It would just make a costly endeavor much more costly.

Mjprohoroff

Lil-Rokslider
I for one am extremely proud of supporting a company that recognized an issue and was proactive in fixing it. A lot of companies would consider a 1 in 150 failure rate as acceptable if not ideal. Not Exo, they eat the cost of replacing them all. Bravo Steve and gang, wish I could shake your hands in Portland this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexAg07

FNG
My pack was one out of the 1/150 that cracked. A lot has already been said about the customer service level this company has reached by pre-emptively replacing all frames but let me tell you a little bit more about what they did for me.

I received my pack just a few weeks before 1st rifle in Colorado. I did a few hikes to try and get to know it and get it fitted properly but replicating a DIY elk hunt in the the San Juans when you live at sea level in Houston is tough. The day before the season opened, just after arriving to our area I did a scouting hike with the pack about 6 miles round trip. We liked what we saw on that scout and that afternoon were back at the trailhead packing 5 days worth of gear before heading back in. While we were finishing up I noticed something.
exo1.jpg
exo2.jpg
This was the first time I noticed this. I need to mention that several times before this, both at home in prep and earlier in the day while scouting, that I kept feeling like I was having trouble getting my pack to rest evenly but this is the first time I actually saw the crack. That uneven sensation could have been due to this being my first EXO, and first “nice” pack in general or could have been due to it already being cracked. So I can’t say for sure whether it arrived to me like this, happened in Texas, happened in transit or happened that day, but I can say that IMO the crack didn’t happen due to extreme load or pressure but due to a flukey type microscopic defect that seems consistent with what the guys at EXO are describing.

I immediately emailed pictures, from the trailhead, explaining that it was the day before the season and I had a problem with my new pack. Within 90 seconds I was receiving a call from Boise, Idaho on my cell phone. It was Mark at Exo. I described as best I could what I was seeing, and my best guess as to when it may have happened, but that didn’t seem to matter at all. Mark was only concerned with how soon he could get me a new pack. Only a hunter would understand this, your general customer service rep would not relate to the urgency. I happened to be just outside Telluride and being a weekend we had a day delay but Mark decided right then and there to overnight me a new frame AND PACK to a Hotel in Telluride for me to pickup whenever I came off the mountain. He knew I may very well be up all 5 days of the season, but he also knew there was a chance I could come down in a day or two to change spots if things were slow. And that’s exactly what happened, day 2 of the season we came down and picked up my pack at the Hotel before heading to a different area in the unit. and I used my new frame and pack for the remainder of the hunt. Again, that’s something only a hunter would understand.
exo3.jpg
In the meantime I hunted the first couple of days with a duct-taped frame and I’ll be honest it performed just fine. The most I ever had in the pack was for the hike in and that probably wasn’t more than 40 pounds but I thought it was worth mentioning.

I didn’t have the pleasure of packing an elk out, I’m 0-2 on elk so far. But I can say it wasn’t due to my gear and I am an EXO guy for life after this experience.

Last edited:

Djc21

FNG
Absolutely amazing customer service! This really sets the bar for other companies to follow. Thank you exo mountain gear for the integrity shown in this situation.

ridgefire

WKR
Im a Kifaru guy but hearing stuff like this will make me take a closer look at Exo packs next time im in the market. I will spend the extra money to buy products from companies with this kind of service or warranties. Good job Exo.

I ordered my pack back in January and got a notification it would be 4-6 weeks until I got my pack. Thought no big deal, don't need it right away anyways. Then they came out and told us all about the frame issues. At first I was panicking and slightly peeved.

But then after thinking about it for a few minutes I realized they were doing exactly what I'd expect from a company. They owned up to the issue. Plus they went ahead and went above and beyond, not just replacing ones with issues but replacing EVERYONE'S.

This is my first forray into the Western hunting world and subsequently my first true Western pack. I get my pack today and Exo has a customer for life based on how they handled the situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
I E2ECB8AD-B031-416C-B7EF-524979AB92E4.jpeg98A0AF94-6ADE-4536-91DC-0242AA5F6894.jpeg98A0AF94-6ADE-4536-91DC-0242AA5F6894.jpeg
I didn’t think it could be mine , but I packed quite a few animals last year and I was wrong , good think I signed up for the new frame right away , thanks guys for the honesty and being thorough with your response