Kansas deer hunting advice?

OP
ddavis_1313
Forgot to give you guys the update. Ended up killing this guy on WIHA after about 10 days. I went way too early as the rut didn’t start until a week after I killed this buck. I saw 4-5 bucks and this was the biggest. Passed on 130” young 10 on day 4. Two other guys that went ended up killing as well. Both smaller 8’s. Had a blast and was a lot of fun. Saw deer almost every sit as well. I needed up hunting a combination of wiha and wma. I can’t wait for next year. The two things I’d change. 1) take my wife as well bc she’s love this style of hunting. 2) invest in a saddle to cut a little weight.

6c84c7beeb963e994406e67bba90a317.jpg

e8a4422c28a2f4fa5aa4b3c35327611b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

south central ks here and have never had them come into rattling except 1 1/2 year olds around nov 11th. The deer eat anything but cotton, most crops will be out by Nov so focus on travel corridors. Main thing is be mobile, Ive sat an area on one side of a creek on public and not seen more than a few doe pairs in a few days and decided to cross the creek at noon and had 3 bucks dogging a hot doe. Just got to put boots on the ground and hours in the field. Good luck.
I hunt south central public. NR, I have hunted Kansas for about 10 years and love it. I’m curious about spot and stalk. I have never done it in Kansas? Is it better spot and stalk or sit and wait? I have taken a 120 at 43 yards with my matthews and was and still am excited about it. Just curious if the guys that live in Kansas how they generally hunt it.

Usi05

WKR
Found this thread helpful as we prep for units 9&8. Thanks for that gang!

Gonna scout this summer with my little bro.

We have access to about 500 acres of private through a buddy. Hoping that will be all we need but scouting public as well.

OP
ddavis_1313
Found this thread helpful as we prep for units 9&8. Thanks for that gang!

Gonna scout this summer with my little bro.

We have access to about 500 acres of private through a buddy. Hoping that will be all we need but scouting public as well.

I won’t be back up there this year but could pass some stuff along for 8&9 if you need/want. I can tell you last year that it was crowded. Get away from big cities. Tuttle and for sure Milton get heavy traffic. Ran into several guys going several miles on foot daily to hunt spots so don’t think you can out hike anyone. If you’re not seeing fresh sign, don’t hunt that area.

*zap*

WKR
On public and a lot of the rut sign that is a close walk or in a more open area is made after dark....

TDM55

FNG
I won’t be back up there this year but could pass some stuff along for 8&9 if you need/want. I can tell you last year that it was crowded. Get away from big cities. Tuttle and for sure Milton get heavy traffic. Ran into several guys going several miles on foot daily to hunt spots so don’t think you can out hike anyone. If you’re not seeing fresh sign, don’t hunt that area.

I am looking at bow hunting units 8/9 this year and wondering if you could give me a little more insite as to where it was so crowded? I am coming from michigan and was looking at areas near/around the tuttle creek lake wildlife area but may need to reconsider?

Very nice deer and cool that you followed up on the thread. I am in the same boat looking to break the 120-140 area without spending a fortune but it seems to be getting more and more difficult to do on public!

Biggie

FNG
I am in the same boat looking to break the 120-140 area without spending a fortune but it seems to be getting more and more difficult to do on public!
Pick a tree, any tree, and you'll shoot a 120". If not you're probably the loudest smelliest hunter on the planet.