Katadyn BeFree vs. Sawyer Squeeze

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,

Did a search on this topic to see what I could come up with but didn’t find much. So here we go.

I have used the Sawyer Squeeze in the past with solid results. I used it only as a squeeze filter and not a gravity. I had good luck doing it this way and it allowed me to carry less. We had extremely clean water so I didn’t need to back flush it much (maybe even at all). I’m wondering how Katadyn BeFree stacks up against it. Will it clog easier than a squeeze if I have to filter nasty water? I know you can’t backflush it but you agitate it with water in the bag to clean it. How does that work? Is the flow rate that much better than the squeeze? Which will work better as a gravity filter if I want to use it that way? Do you think the BeFree may be less likely to freeze because in theory you should be able to get more water out of the filter after use as it’s not a fully contained membrane like the squeeze?

I carry Micropur tabs with me, and I also have a MSR mini works I can take if I know I’m going to have less than ideal water conditions. Just looking for a little input on my fast, light and primary filter system.

Thanks

mtbshark

WKR
I used the befree this September it is awesome so much faster that the squeeze!
I had mainly fairly clean water and after 15 days of 4-5times a day use the flow rate did not seem to decline!
I will have it in my pack up till October November from now on at this point

I did add a quick connect to fill my hydro bladder easily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
BeFree is faster, but does not do nearly as well with less than clear water. The lifespan can be short.

The way I look at it, the BeFree is great for day trips , but it would not be my choice for a week out.

Backyard

WKR
I've used quite a few different filters in the past, MSR, First Need, Katadyn, Sawyer mini, and others. I currently use a Squeeze. I don't see why one would need to filter any faster than what this does, IMO it's pretty fast. It also works great as a gravity feed filter. I would set it up when I stopped for lunch and it was done with 2 liters before I even got my lunch ready to eat (PB & bacon tortillas). It may not be the fastest, I don't know what is, but it's faster than any I've used before. I won't be changing my set up for a while.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
BeFree is faster, but does not do nearly as well with less than clear water. The lifespan can be short.

The way I look at it, the BeFree is great for day trips , but it would not be my choice for a week out.

What’s your go to system?

Thanks for the input guys.

Anyone have any opinions on Steri-Pens? I have been thinking about trying one out.

The pumps really suck. Lots of hard work for the water.

Last edited:

mtbshark

WKR
Befree for early season the steripen once temps start to drop.
At least that’s my system
If it’s 8deg our filter systems are a challenge

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
mtbshark how do you like the BeFree? Does it clean out well when the flow slows down? Good luck with it?

I hear a lot of people rave about the Katadyn Pro Hiker. Do those take as much effort to pump as the MSR miniworks? Or has anyone found a pump that’s not a PIA? I know regardless of the filter style or brand you want to keep it from freezing.

My next trip is to a area I have never seen and I don’t know what the water situation will be. Want to make sure I have all my bases covered.

mtbshark

WKR
I really didn’t notice a slow down during this season. I watched a fair amount of through hiker reviews on it before I put it in my pack. It is a great filter in my opinion as of now.

I always have msr tabs in my kit so the backup is there if it somehow dies on me! I don’t think it will as I am not in the hills for super extended amounts of time.

If I was heading somewhere deep and for some extended time. I might take an extra be free filter or a steripen as well.
Haven’t done the math yet but feel like befree and steripen weight the same or less than a pump. With that freezing is a non issue

I am no expert but have tried a handful of filters and water treatments so far.

mtbshark any issues with durability of the BeFree bag? I got one from my wife but most of the reviews I read said it gets pinhole leaks easily. I ended up swapping it out for the platypus gravityworks 4L system.

mtbshark

WKR
No not as of yet and I kinda tried to beat it up! Squeezed the heck out of it often, like to the point where I was like “it should blow any time now”.

I have the 1l and like that I can get up to a 4l if I want to gravity feed it.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
No not as of yet and I kinda tried to beat it up! Squeezed the heck out of it often, like to the point where I was like “it should blow any time now”.

I have the 1l and like that I can get up to a 4l if I want to gravity feed it.

What SteriPen are you using? Looks like the Classic 3 is a good bet or is the Adventurer better? I feel like from all my reading the Classic series is tried and true.

Gobspur

FNG
I bought both the sawyer and befree in 2017. Kept the befree and it performed flawless for 10 days in colorado, september. Only used in fairly clear, flowing water. Very fast. Also, i used the filter with the hydrapak bags. Just filled the bags when i could and then squeezed into my naglene. At night i put the filter in a ziplock in bottom of bag because it got below freezing some. No issues and very simple system. Tabs as backup.
5a2a7cc313f1d360a31cd0bcc53af582.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
I bought both the sawyer and befree in 2017. Kept the befree and it performed flawless for 10 days in colorado, september. Only used in fairly clear, flowing water. Very fast. Also, i used the filter with the hydrapak bags. Just filled the bags when i could and then squeezed into my naglene. At night i put the filter in a ziplock in bottom of bag because it got below freezing some. No issues and very simple system. Tabs as backup.
5a2a7cc313f1d360a31cd0bcc53af582.jpg

This is the exact reason I was looking at this setup. Great bag to store water in and filter out of. I feel like it would be a home run. How’s the water taste if stored in the hydrapak?

Gobspur

FNG
I didnt notice any off taste. Water all tasted fine that was stored in it.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
So all you SteriPen users. Are you using any kind of pre filter? If I go with a capcap can I just scoop my water in through the large mouth, replace lid, remove small cap and insert Steripen through small mouth and turn upside down like a lot of guys do with a regular bottle? It is the opening to small to get the steripen in? Also maybe some pictures, tips or things to consider when looking to go this route.

mtbshark

WKR
The classic has a rubber piece at the end before the glass element. It seals it nicely with the small opening of the capcap
146c8a172541e8af5c3f23486ada8b53.jpg

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
The classic has a rubber piece at the end before the glass element. It seals it nicely with the small opening of the capcap
146c8a172541e8af5c3f23486ada8b53.jpg

Thank you so much. Exactly what I was after. This forum is awesome and the knowledge endless.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
I run the classic3, no frills good old standard battery

Have you experienced any issues with your Classic3? Also what kind of battery life are you getting? Lithium battieries or?

mtbshark

WKR
As of now it’s had no issues and I don’t think I have ever had an issue with loosing power. I simply put new batteries in around August first