Kava Tea deaths

Beendare

WKR
Heads up, we were talking to a nurse friend of my wife’s that works in the ICU with the transplant team at SF State Medcenter and they are seeing cases of people dying from drinking kava tea and combining simple anti-inflammatories like Tylenol.

The stuff is supposed to be healthy….not!

A quick search turns up this confirmation

Bluefish

WKR
Considering alcohol and Tylenol is a known issue, its probable that there could be other things that interact with Tylenol as well.

jbosk15808

Lil-Rokslider
Gotta drink fresh Awa,which is the Hawaiian version. Used to help harvest the plant and clean the roots. The best is hand squeezed with coconut water. Numbs the mouth and relaxes the body without the hangover.
20230422_145227.jpg

ODB

WKR
Considering alcohol and Tylenol is a known issue, its probable that there could be other things that interact with Tylenol as well.

Thats because they are both processed by your liver. An anti-inflammatory like ibuprofin is processed by your kidneys.

t_carlson

WKR
I’ve personally seen alcohol kill more people than anything and we happily sell and drink that..

I think the point of the post is that people are dying without knowing the risks. We have done a good job educating the public about the dangers of alcohol. Yes, we still sell it, but I don't think anyone is surprised when someone dies from alcohol. It is an assumed risk.

heard about kava only recently. Someone told me a family member was addicted to it and had health problems because of it. Looked it up and lo and behold the stuff aint good for you even though its natural and sounds like it should be healthy

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks, good to know. I have never tried it or paid any attention to it, but knowing the risk is half of being able to make an informed decision (knowing the benefits is the other half).

As other substances where brought up, it is worth point out @Beendare just provided information, he did not tell anyone what to do with it. No one should go around calling something healthy that is not and that would include advocating the recreational use of things like Tylenol or Benadryl as they too have risk.

I have cut to tobacco back to a few times per year. I recently cut drinking back from 4-8 drinks a week to 2-8 per month, and feel better for it. Other than pleasure, there are zero benefits to those. So, why add another substance to my life that only causes harm.

Thank goodness coffee (in moderation) looks to be healthy based on current data, not sure I could cut that out. Though cutting it back to only in the morning several years ago helped my sleep quality significantly.