Kentucky vacation

DanimalW

WKR
My wife decided she wants to take a road trip with the kids to Kentucky over their spring break in a couple weeks. Planning to visit Mammoth Caves and then head over toward Lexington. Not sure where this idea came from but I don’t complain because she doesn’t complain about hunting trips.

I don’t know much other than the bourbon trail. Any recommendations on cool places to see or visit? Awesome hikes etc.

Thanks

wesfromky

WKR
Bourbon trail is nice. Lexington has a number of solid breweries and restaurants. If you are OK with coming another hour east, the red river gorge is pretty amazing. Sorta like Utah, but with trees.

wyogoat

WKR
Bardstown is a great place to visit. I grew up near there and the town is really nice. Lots of interesting history to see like Talbot Tavern and then the bourbon stuff. Also Kentucky Gun Company is there and it’s pretty impressive. You never know what they may have on the shelf.

bobr1

WKR
My wife decided she wants to take a road trip with the kids to Kentucky over their spring break in a couple weeks. Planning to visit Mammoth Caves and then head over toward Lexington. Not sure where this idea came from but I don’t complain because she doesn’t complain about hunting trips.

I don’t know much other than the bourbon trail. Any recommendations on cool places to see or visit? Awesome hikes etc.

Thanks
I used to live in the area a whiles back and visited Lexington and mammoth cave a lot. Mammoth cave is pretty cool especially for the kids. Check online for the tours because some are general and they have them every hour or so and are pretty short, they have like have day tours like the Cleveland tour that goes into the snowball room which you have to reserve beforehand, but you get to eat in the cave…

bourbon trail is pretty cool If you are into the process and some places are better than others. I’ve heard they have been charging fees now just for tours at some places. If it’s not to far out of the way the Makers Mark distillery is cool and you can dip your own bottle if you want a momento.

Lexington has the Kentucky Horse park, which has a lot to see and is a good place to take kids as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Also depending on which way you are coming or going but the corvette museum is like 30 minutes from mammoth cave and you can see/walk on the sinkhole that destroyed a bunch of the cars a while ago.

Last edited:

Grumman

WKR
Where are you coming from OP? Like others have said the Red River Gorge and Natural Bridge is neat. If Keeneland track is running that is a lot of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
DanimalW

DanimalW

WKR
Where are you coming from OP? Like others have said the Red River Gorge and Natural Bridge is neat. If Keeneland track is running that is a lot of fun.

Wisconsin

Outdoor activities-mammoth cave, red river gorge…particularity Natural Bridge, Cumberland gap.

Indoor-if they are in to baseball at all, the Louisville Slugger Museum is pretty cool. They can have their own wooden bat engraved too. Science museum in louisville is great for that age. Aquarium in Newport is very nice. Distillery tours will be boring for the kids, but Buffalo Trace is nice. Castle and Key is a cool one to visit too. Bardstown is a nice mid sized town to visit. Most of the distilleries (besides the two I just mentioned) are there as well.

Stave

Lil-Rokslider
Kentucky Down Under is close to mammoth cave and good for your kids' age. They have tropical birds, Australian wildlife, farm animals you can pet and a porcupine which I'm sure you've never seen before😂.

Stave

Lil-Rokslider
I second keeneland, the horsepark and the gorge. Best part of the bourbon trail I think is the cooperage in Lebanon. It is a hot, noisy factory but you will see men putting together barrels one stave at a time, steaming them, hammering them together, charring them, and sealing then with cattails. Pretty interesting

Grumman

WKR
The Creation Museum and the Ark are great attractions. Our Walmarts also have lots of interesting people to see lol. I’m northeast of Louisville if you all need anything while you’re here.

Ohiohuntr

Lil-Rokslider
If you go to the red the trail to courthouse rock is a nice one with some great views, tons of other short trails to arches and other cool rock formations, the area has grown a lot in recent years, Muir valley is great If your into climbing

kybuck1

Lil-Rokslider
You should consider checking out the Corvette museum, Mammoth Cave, the Ark, Bourbon distilleries, Horse Farms in Lexington, Churchill Downs, Keeneland, Slugger Museum. Those are a few of the highlights I can think of top of my head.