Kestrel users - AB model or not?

LineandBuck

Lil-Rokslider
For those of you that have and use Kestrels for wind calls in hunting scenarios, is it worth the upgrade to the Applied Ballistics version? is it worth the time it saves looking at a dope card or otherwise?

Varminterror

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn’t buy a model which didn’t output Density Altitude. It simplifies life far too much to give up. The Sportsman (now discontinued) works great, and when coupled with a phone, it stores as many rifles as you could ever want. The Elite is worth the upgrade for custom curves if you are shooting ELR.

In 2020 and beyond, I would buy the Hornady 4DoF version. I have a Sportsman and a 4DoF, I only use the Sportsman now out of habit, and only have my newest loads in my Hornady version.

OP
LineandBuck

LineandBuck

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input, I must’ve overlooked the other gained features.

If I may ask, what makes you lean towards the hornady flavor ?

Varminterror

Lil-Rokslider
@LineandBuck - if you compare the Ballistic/Sportsman, Elite, and Hornady 4DoF, the difference is really the 4DoF profiles/Custom Curves (4DoF/Elite). The Sportsman/Ballistic are great, but they are just fixed BC based calculators - even when using the multi-BC function, it’s a stair step calculation, not a curve. The other two are (effectively) curves. The difference then is how much you spend for that feature. Hornady includes their library of bullets, whereas you’re basically buying each custom curve from AB.

Some folks just like the Hornady 4DoF better than the AB, and vice versa, but for me, personally, the difference in curve access is the kicker. If you’re only shooting a couple of bullets, or not shooting ELR, then the difference might be wholly moot. I shoot PRS matches with the Sportsman, and about half of the time I just use StrelokPro anyway (simple BC based solver) - and I can’t pretend I miss because I used one ballistic solver vs. the other. The key is really truing against real world impacts, and knowing your bullet.

Totoro

WKR
AB gets my vote.

Range cards are fine if you shoot KD and zero wind with fixed atmos conditions.

My hunting areas can go hot to cold, ASL or 10K, wind like a popcorn fart or full value.

Dont forget it's just another tool you have to be familiar with its functions and how you will incorporate it into your your own situation(s).

Read the manual over and over then practice practice practice using it!