Kestrel

Elkslut

FNG
I'm looking at adding a kestrel to my gear that I pack around. There are a few to choose from so if anyone has real experience to suggest one over the other. I do have and use a few different calibers when out. Thanks in advance.

Jmartin

FNG
I recommend the 5700 with AB. Get it with Bluetooth and it will spit out a solution for ranged objects without any extra steps with a compatible rangefinder. Multiple progress can be lived at a time and easily cycled through

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
5000 series with Link. Otherwise it depends on what you want. I did not spend the premium on a ballistic version.

If you don't have Link, then you have to buy the cable to update firm wear, the cable is $60, adding Link to a model adds $60 to the price, and additional functionality.

I just use the 2700 and change it to the rifle im using when I leave. Works just as good.

Does the solving out to 800 yards which is plenty for me.

Snowhunter11

Lil-Rokslider
5000 series with Link. Otherwise it depends on what you want. I did not spend the premium on a ballistic version.

If you don't have Link, then you have to buy the cable to update firm wear, the cable is $60, adding Link to a model adds $60 to the price, and additional functionality.
Will that “5000 link”with the app such as “shooter” do you know? Or would one need a ballistics version. All I want is wind, temp, and DA readings for the most part. And Bluetooth “link” connectivity would be a bonus. Let me know if anyone has experience. Thanks

Wrench

WKR
I was a good shot using a wind reading and inputting data into my ballistics program......then I moved to the 5700 w/link paired to my leica 3200.com and found that once the data was right I am very dangerous to an unbelievable distance.

100% best money spent on accuracy.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Will that “5000 link”with the app such as “shooter” do you know? Or would one need a ballistics version. All I want is wind, temp, and DA readings for the most part. And Bluetooth “link” connectivity would be a bonus. Let me know if anyone has experience. Thanks
They will pair. I have a 5500 Fire Weather, and it pairs with apps. 4DOF pairs easily, Applied Ballistics has given me some trouble pulling data over, but it is an issue with AB.

That said, use density altitude and all you need is one number.

My conclusion, from reading on here, not experience yet, is that wind calling involves figuring out more than just wind at the shooter. You could get the weather vane set up and have any of the 5500 calculate wind direction and speed, but it is probably more trouble than it is worth.

Snowhunter11

Lil-Rokslider
They will pair. I have a 5500 Fire Weather, and it pairs with apps. 4DOF pairs easily, Applied Ballistics has given me some trouble pulling data over, but it is an issue with AB.

That said, use density altitude and all you need is one number.

My conclusion, from reading on here, not experience yet, is that wind calling involves figuring out more than just wind at the shooter. You could get the weather vane set up and have any of the 5500 calculate wind direction and speed, but it is probably more trouble than it is worth.
Perfect! I appreciate the info as that saves some decent cash not having to buy the 5700.