Kibble vs Real Food?

mporter012

Lil-Rokslider
We don't have to get into a raw vs kibble dog food debate, but just a few thoughts.

I put my GSP on raw food last year and my vet acted like I was psychotic, which resulted in a kind of condemnation where i asked her to articulate to me how exactly 75 pounds of kibble can cost $40 and why do dogs need grains? As far as I can tell, there is no science or evidence to support it. It's cheap, it's a filler, it binds the food together, etc. I understand that dogs are not exactly wolves anymore, but they are, in fact, canines, and im of the opinion after quite of bit of research that there is a big problem with dog food.

I went as far as to hire a "canine nutritionist" - the whole 9 yards. I didn't just start feeding him ground beef, but then he went to training and it just didn't work, so I had to transition him back to kibble while in training, and now I have him back, I'm trying to figure out what to do.

I'm just curious if any of you have messed around with raw diets, or real food diets with your hunting dogs. Obviously working dogs have high caloric needs during training/hunting season, and generally different requirements than lap dogs. Just curious your thoughts.

OP
M

mporter012

Lil-Rokslider
If every nfc, nafc, grhrch and mnh dog can eat kibble and perform at that level thats enough proof for me.
It's not really a performance based argument. Most high school and college athletes have horrible diets, but they are incredibly gifted athletes and it's fine while they are young and lifting and running, etc.

TonyG

FNG
I think it’s another Ford vs. Chevy topic. I’m sure there are benefits of it for some health issues long term. If anyone wants to say the name brands (Purina, Kinetic, etc) aren’t processed as can, be there lying to themselves. I

I just stick with what has worked with my pups over the years which has been the Proplan.

jimh406

WKR
I've only fed Iams for the past 30 years or so. If my dogs had issues, I'd try something else. But, they don't. I've had Brittanys, and now have Aussies. I do know people with dogs like Huskies that have special food. I'm not against it but have no reason to try it.

Your dog, your choice as they say.

I nearly killed my dog in 2020 feeding a dehydrated raw diet (Honest Kitchen) that was apparently depriving him of essential nutrients and dropping his weight slow enough that I couldn't notice it day to day. I'll never feed a working dog anything but purina pro-plan 30/20 now, and I bought a scale to monitor the dog's weight regularly. Better energy, cheapish, no diarrhea, no vomit, and easy to maintain a healthy weight via frequent weighing and measuring portions.

KurtR

WKR
It's not really a performance based argument. Most high school and college athletes have horrible diets, but they are incredibly gifted athletes and it's fine while they are young and lifting and running, etc.
Well a lot of those labs outlive and are still playing games at 11 years old running all age field trials. These would be like senior citizens playing in the nfl.

OP
M

mporter012

Lil-Rokslider
I think it’s another Ford vs. Chevy topic. I’m sure there are benefits of it for some health issues long term. If anyone wants to say the name brands (Purina, Kinetic, etc) aren’t processed as can, be there lying to themselves. I

I just stick with what has worked with my pups over the years which has been the Proplan.
My trainers (highly recognized) just stopped prolan bc they said that they were feeding the dogs a lot of food and they weren't keeping wait on, so they switched to another brand. I have no strong opinion on the matter, just thought you might find that of value.

Mosby

WKR
The overwhelming majority of field trial dogs are fed Purina Pro Plan 30/20. It's been that way for a long time. Many of those people can afford to feed anything they want. If something worked better, they would feed it. It works. I feed the PPP Salmon & Rice 30/20 which has over 500 calories per cup and my hunting dogs do well on it. I haven't found a reason to switch to another brand. There are other good brands of dog food but they can be hard to find locally where I live or when I travel. That is an important consideration for me. I wouldn't feed a grain free dog food and I couldn't be bothered to feed a RAW diet on hunting trips but to each their own.

Braaap

WKR
We don't have to get into a raw vs kibble dog food debate, but just a few thoughts.

I put my GSP on raw food last year and my vet acted like I was psychotic, which resulted in a kind of condemnation where i asked her to articulate to me how exactly 75 pounds of kibble can cost $40 and why do dogs need grains? As far as I can tell, there is no science or evidence to support it. It's cheap, it's a filler, it binds the food together, etc. I understand that dogs are not exactly wolves anymore, but they are, in fact, canines, and im of the opinion after quite of bit of research that there is a big problem with dog food.

I went as far as to hire a "canine nutritionist" - the whole 9 yards. I didn't just start feeding him ground beef, but then he went to training and it just didn't work, so I had to transition him back to kibble while in training, and now I have him back, I'm trying to figure out what to do.

I'm just curious if any of you have messed around with raw diets, or real food diets with your hunting dogs. Obviously working dogs have high caloric needs during training/hunting season, and generally different requirements than lap dogs. Just curious your thoughts.
I feed my dogs proplan and it works great but some of the ingredients are things I would never eat myself. I have not been able to find an alternative.

WRO

WKR
The overwhelming majority of field trial dogs are fed Purina Pro Plan 30/20. It's been that way for a long time. Many of those people can afford to feed anything they want. If something worked better, they would feed it. It works. I feed the PPP Salmon & Rice 30/20 which has over 500 calories per cup and my hunting dogs do well on it. I haven't found a reason to switch to another brand. There are other good brands of dog food but they can be hard to find locally where I live or when I travel. That is an important consideration for me. I wouldn't feed a grain free dog food and I couldn't be bothered to feed a RAW diet on hunting trips but to each their own.

Inukshuk seems to be the go to over here, I feed 26/16 off season and 30/25 during the season. Satin balls on hunting trips.

Mosby

WKR
what are satin balls?
A high calorie raw snack you can make at home.

Ingredients​

• 1 pound Ground Beef
  • 1 ¼ cups Uncooked Oatmeal
  • 1 ⅓ cups Total Cereal
  • ¼ cup Unsulphured Molasses
  • 5 tablespoons Wheat Germ
  • 1 envelope Unflavored Gelatin
  • ¼ Cup Melted Coconut Oil
  • 1 Raw Egg and Shell

Instructions​

• Place all ingredients in a large bowl and use your hands to combine well.
  • Pinch out a small amount and using your hands and form it into a 1 to 1 ½ inch ball.
  • Continue until all the mixture is used.

Notes​

These can be frozen and thawed as needed. To thaw, place them in the refrigerator overnight.

Antares

WKR
I don’t think it needs to be either or. I treat Pro Plan as a base and build on top of it (raw eggs, liver, fish, etc).

Sort of off topic, but how often do you guys feed? I do once a day and I like it much better than twice. Dogs might disagree…

Mosby

WKR
I don’t think it needs to be either or. I treat Pro Plan as a base and build on top of it (raw eggs, liver, fish, etc).

Sort of off topic, but how often do you guys feed? I do once a day and I like it much better than twice. Dogs might disagree…
I feed twice a day right now. I have an old Vizsla at home who doesn't hunt anymore and she would have a heart attack if she didn't get her breakfast and dinner, so everybody gets fed on her schedule during the off season.. As we get closer to the season I will move my 2 hunting dogs to once a day but double the portions. I only feed once a day during the season.

KurtR

WKR
Twice a day but next dog will be once in the evening. On days we hunt or test morning is just a little so I don’t have to worry about bloat

TSAMP

WKR
Twice a day here. I was on PPP for years and my dog had runny stools regularly. Switched to Victor hipro then to the ocean formula since we're in the offseason, Which is $$$ but so far much better for him. Coat has improved also. I'm only a few months in. So I'll keep monitoring.

It seems I'm not alone as the clubs in my area call a dog pooping a "Purina point".

I am in duck camp for minimum of 2 weeks so I need a high fat/high protein kibble.
So my kibble of choice has 25% fat, 32% protein and is a favorite among long-distance mushers up here.
Red Paw PowerEdge 32k

MJB

WKR
One year I cleaned out the freezer and fed the dogs freezer burnt meat and vegetables stuff I had frozen All were previously cooked or I cook them. I fed them this for nearly 2 months.....they drank about half as much water their stool was a third of the size form kibble, I noticed no difference in them other than they ate less, poop less, drink less but performed the same. This was in an off-season scenario.
I had one b**** that during hunting season required a higher fat and protein content otherwise she would walk around like she ran a marathon the day before all stiff. So I do like most jump to a performance kibble.
My maintenance kibble is the Blue Buffalo "Life protection"
PPP or Merrick for during the season for performance.