Vortex Viper 4-16x50 HSLR on Weatherby Vanguard. Scope Ring Suggestions?

I'm in CA and mostly pig hunt but want to get into deer and elk. I currently have a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 scope (Deadhold-BDC reticle) mounted on my Weatherby Vanguard .270, with low-extended Talley rings.

While I feel like the scope I currently have is good magnification for my hunts (and I really like the reticle style), I really don't like the short eye relief (about 3"). Every time I shoot, it takes a time to find the sweet spot and it's starting to get annoying.

I've been on the market for a scope with a better eye relief and was waiting for the Vortex Viper 4-16x44 HS (Deadhold BDC) to be on sale, since it has the same reticle, but has a 4" eye relief.

I ended up buying the Vortex Viper 1-16x50 HSLR on an impulse buy (it was a very sweet deal), and now I'm a little concerned it's a bit too much scope for what I need. Plus it's noticeably larger than the Diamondback. It's such a pity that the Diamondback didn't work out. I was getting some really nice groupings at the range at 100yds.

Does anyone know if the Talley Medium rings OR the Medium Extended rings will work for this set up? Does anyone have experience hunting with this scope in the West?

I'm in CA and mostly pig hunt but want to get into deer and elk. I currently have a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 scope (Deadhold-BDC reticle) mounted on my Weatherby Vanguard .270, with low-extended Talley rings.

While I feel like the scope I currently have is good magnification for my hunts (and I really like the reticle style), I really don't like the short eye relief (about 3"). Every time I shoot, it takes a time to find the sweet spot and it's starting to get annoying.

I've been on the market for a scope with a better eye relief and was waiting for the Vortex Viper 4-16x44 HS (Deadhold BDC) to be on sale, since it has the same reticle, but has a 4" eye relief.

I ended up buying the Vortex Viper 1-16x50 HSLR on an impulse buy (it was a very sweet deal), and now I'm a little concerned it's a bit too much scope for what I need. Plus it's noticeably larger than the Diamondback. It's such a pity that the Diamondback didn't work out. I was getting some really nice groupings at the range at 100yds.

Does anyone know if the Talley Medium rings OR the Medium Extended rings will work for this set up? Does anyone have experience hunting with this scope in the West?
Forgot what rings I used, maybe Tally, but it's a solid scope. My first attempt with MOA turret, but I like it. I got another gun and put a Leupold VX5 with CDS dial on it and like that even better. but the power range in both are very good for out west, 4-14 0r 4-16. I like the 50 and 44 mm objective but you can go smaller. being over 50 years old is why i like the larger bells I think!

Indewoods

FNG
Your Viper 4-16x50 HSLR is a great optic, I wouldn’t question that upgrade from the Diamondback. Greater optical clarity and a much more forgiving eye box. Medium Talley rings should work just fine.

OP
FeatheredMonkey
Forgot what rings I used, maybe Tally, but it's a solid scope. My first attempt with MOA turret, but I like it. I got another gun and put a Leupold VX5 with CDS dial on it and like that even better. but the power range in both are very good for out west, 4-14 0r 4-16. I like the 50 and 44 mm objective but you can go smaller. being over 50 years old is why i like the larger bells I think!
Thanks for the input. I just got it mounted on medium rings and it’s perfect. Now I’ll have to figure out the whole shim system.

OP
FeatheredMonkey
Talley mediums should work fine. I have Talley lows with a vortex with a 42mm objective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The mediums worked perfect. Thanks for the input. Now to figure out the shim system in the turret.

Justin_Tree

Lil-Rokslider
The mediums worked perfect. Thanks for the input. Now to figure out the shim system in the turret.
The shims are not difficult to install. Just zero the rifle and take the turret cap off by loosening the 3 Allen screws. Add the shims one by one alternating direction. Until you can’t get any more in.

It not a perfect zero stop system and will likely rotate beyond zero but it’s enough to stop from a full rotation.

A quick YouTube search will show you what I’m talking about.

I had that exact setup you were looking for on a Vanguard S2 7mag. It was a nightmare. The scope had to be sent back 3 times until they eventually refunded me my money due to constant problems with the erector unit and debris inside the scope. Even with a 20moa base it was nearly maxed out in elevation to zero at 100y. The second picture shows the 100y zero at 4 revolutions up, and it only had about 3/4 turn before maxing out and then free-spinning, which would never return to true zero. The zero elevation issue is pretty common, check out the end of the linked video, he has the same issue but doesn't mention it. If you only zero and use the BDC it might be fine but I wouldn't trust dialing that scope at all.

IMG_0371.jpeg

IMG_0369.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0371.jpeg
    IMG_0371.jpeg
    470.7 KB · Views: 4
OP
FeatheredMonkey
The shims are not difficult to install. Just zero the rifle and take the turret cap off by loosening the 3 Allen screws. Add the shims one by one alternating direction. Until you can’t get any more in.

It not a perfect zero stop system and will likely rotate beyond zero but it’s enough to stop from a full rotation.

A quick YouTube search will show you what I’m talking about.
Thanks a ton. Your description, plus a couple of youtube videos, made sense. It seems several people with my gun/scope combo tend to have an issue with topping out on the elevation turret and having to use a 10 or 20 MOA base. Given that I won't be shooting long range (max 300 yrds for hunting), I think i'll be fine with hold overs on the BDC reticle.

I appreciate the input.

Justin_Tree

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks a ton. Your description, plus a couple of youtube videos, made sense. It seems several people with my gun/scope combo tend to have an issue with topping out on the elevation turret and having to use a 10 or 20 MOA base. Given that I won't be shooting long range (max 300 yrds for hunting), I think i'll be fine with hold overs on the BDC reticle.

I appreciate the input.
You’re welcome. For those ranges you should be fine and won’t need a pic rail.