Kifaru backpack shoulder straps suck

Bambistew

WKR
Anyone else have an opinion on Kifaru shoulder straps replacement/upgrade or swap out with something else? I'm looking at getting a different pack and skipping Kifaru this time. I have a love/hate relationship with my pack that I've used countless days over the last 10-12 years. I think it has a great frame, but the lid setup sucks, and the belt and shoulder straps wear out too fast. I've replaced my shoulder straps 3x in 8 years and they are ready to be replaced again. Over $300 in shoulder strap replacement in that time is stupid. I have two other heavy packs that I haven't had to replace the straps. The Kifaru straps seem to last about 60 days under load until the foam is just smashed and done for. I really think it has to do with the narrow 1" webbing with a high point load smashing the foam and breaking it down, or its junk foam (they told me they had a "bad batch" when the last set of straps lasted a season.)

Looking at going with a SG or EXO pack to replace it. Not sure if they will last any better, or if they would carry heavy loads as well. I have a Barney's pack as well for the heavy lifting, but usually take a hybrid type pack on flyout trips to save room/weight.

chasewild

WKR
I can't contest your experience with shoulder straps. For me it's like a frog in hot water - I don't realize it until I get a new pack.

BUT. Kifaru's lid system is abysmal.

I'd be taking a real hard look at Exo anyway. Talk to @Mark at EXO and see what he has to say about shoulder strap design. Might push you one way or the other.

LoggerDan

WKR
That sure is strange. I have used three different Kif frames for bear moose and elk. A bikini and duplexes. I can’t say that I have had the same problems and experiences. Even on the bikini frame. After reading this, I grabbed mine as i packed this years moose out last week, and had a look. It’s definitely not new , but I don’t think it’s collapsed and dead.

OP
Bambistew

Bambistew

WKR
That sure is strange. I have used three different Kif frames for bear moose and elk. A bikini and duplexes. I can’t say that I have had the same problems and experiences. Even on the bikini frame. After reading this, I grabbed mine as i packed this years moose out last week, and had a look. It’s definitely not new , but I don’t think it’s collapsed and dead.
I had a bikini frame in about 3-4 years, it fell apart in many places after years of hard use. Packing rams, camps, moose, moose antlers, bou, etc. To be fair it it wasn't really designed to haul 60+lbs, IMO. They replaced it with a Duplex frame, which is solid for heavy loads, but the straps and belt sure seem to wear out way too fast, IMO

Here are old straps vs new ones. The current straps look similar to the one on the left. The top of the pic is the end of the strap that fits along the frame/back, the bottom is where it contacts your shoulder. The webbing basically is touching your shoulder under load, with little to no foam padding below it. Just have a hard time dropping another $100 on shoulder straps that I just replaced July 2021. The current ones have about 50 days on them hunting/hauling meat and camp.

AIL4fc-IOBgR5qrSKhVhjLWKJq1SlWEKGOVv0qE_dTDUw2WS-69qMcODKh4Lt9o2zY2OoEl29siqSjkMayxpTo5YoetRY8FEqZT9BzZ3st_Aqn3aqVZvRKiy9hkxbWg7ydzoZ4Jr2_z5CV2zHzIsQ5cuvU9D3K8VGKI2z7ZTWZlRb3rR7YIt8n-wHUYrMSsV4iFYCm-1jHHLabbJiHL48io4Gf0QjxsoTxPjGfVVeIyA5Zhnsg80U8R9gtoATmXLv9DBJG8eha1y4XFYyXGGbmMLbYiioOmgUVzyNVPRqQ-kf0WbRhLgAaiQHkbSIab5lIY8osTGe5xmfoXNHhIinujs93vluc2Dswi_qXs-H1cQqrNQDWDzKxS7DIqKG77Fj99gXq8bHZ6EWulapsgE_PxAN0qfPTPpbp7RfCOQISiPi73YaY_Sr6kjdq0Z2xwMcPBYpbQJkq0jBQDtRwPTKtcQC_VmDf0gZsOB2w1zfXSM5tN4Pz-BB5YLjN5CD1hpL-ikc3373nXtovf4sPSsXcMCnXHNcvX-C_zeYv6PSqgPLK_4BBt-RRgoANbJ2Twy50FCPH9g4ebhRvaRggUxfVJY-vRdNONRfU-YQeUE09CMJRzhHL9Zb7mKq5ZvbypLFZTHOs_sQhK5uCWTnPwo9fvgGl4NEl3_wduoJgENb7LbcMJ5xOpdpQd-Jph_K06tlcr5hA8pVFA7p1NVg3NvWJ7hIlKIN3Q4FdstcoGW71evqTQLU9S8La0uQFk2JF6dKwmDajw7f8Izem6hmJQL_jSsYy6P2fct0HVSym3PNdCFghClV8eYs6fU9gGG6ljcQ0peh3gqHOyddCjejEqiolf_DbYzGc3I6zrqKWBdG33vUlNLyyVHDg1KdvZf_Zdc4P19l9Jyl7I1IEHco5vCytnn1Wo5IoY=w542-h963-s-no

I hav

Attachments

• 1694634047459.png
    1694634047459.png
    614.5 KB · Views: 62
I know for a fact the SG foam is better than the Kifaru foam. Sometimes I suspect the SG foam is actually made outside of the US, because I can't match it up with made in USA foams I've tried. I haven't dedicated a ton of effort to it tho, so maybe just missing something.

I have never replaced my kifaru straps/belt... I use it hard every season. I have packed out deer and elk, and used it to train with sandbags... never had an issue. Maybe I'm just dumb and not realizing how much pain I could avoid, but it's never struck me as an issue?

Marble

WKR
I've used mine year round since 2018. Packed tons of shit with it in all conditions. I can't even imagine how many miles are on this thing and how many animals, camps, hunts and training it's been through.

3 in 8 years? Man, that's tough.

I can say my belt pouches are getting quite nasty. I just pulled the entire thing apart and washed the pack after an elk haul from last week.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
The padding on my shoulder straps and hip belt are certainly worn down after about 5 years of hard use. I'm sure it's not as comfortable as it could be with fresh foam but it's not something I noticed until I read another thread on here about someone replacing their shoulder straps. Their comparison photo between the new and old made me look at mine more closely. Yes, the foam on mine is compressed to probably less than half of what it was when new. Remarkably, it still hauls weight well regardless so I'm not sure it's a big deal for me or most guys.

That said, I've come to prefer my new Exo K4 over the Kifaru as I've compared them this year but the Kifaru is still a great frame. There are just a lot of little things that add up to a better pack and experience for me with the Exo.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk