Kifaru Bedlam Review, By Mike Moore

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
pic15.jpg

@mtwarden (Mike) reviews the things he likes and doesn't like about the Kifaru Bedlam. Check it out if you're in the market for a new pack.

Kifaru Bedlam Review

prm

WKR
I laughed when I read this, “I always have trouble calling it the front because it’s in the back”. Glad I am not the only one!

Solid review. Its all about seasons. I dont backpack hunt the later seasons when gear gets bulkier and heavier, but archery season with a lid and/or a Sherman I can stretch the Bedlam out as long as I need. I still cant imagine a bag Id prefer over it as far as layout.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ Yeah the bag covers a pretty wide array of scenarios quite well (save long multi day trips)

MTWop

Lil-Rokslider
Great review Mike! The Kifaru frames have been the most comfortable for me. Do you personally feel the extra weight is worth it over a something like the stone glacier terminus or your previous seek outside pack (almost 3 lbs lighter). I mostly day hunt, but often do some November mule deer backpack hunts up to 3 or 4 nights to give some perspective on my typical use. Thanks

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member

Personally, I find myself going lighter. Normally I'm only packing meat a couple of times of year (sometimes zero days :ROFLMAO:), but I have a pack on lots of days.

If I knew I would be packing lots of loads out (or carrying a very heavy pack- lots of water, big optics/heavy tripod, long trips, etc), the Kifaru platform is tough to beat.

When I was in Alaska sheep hunting, almost all of the guides were using Kifaru or Barneys (another very good hauler), they often had to carry additional gear, additional food, sometimes some of the clients gear and almost always carried much more weight packing game out. It made good sense to me that they chose the packs they did.

alowell

FNG
Question for those that have tried. Can you specify omitting the locking buckles and using regular buckles when ordering bag?

alowell

FNG
Forgot one thing here, sorry for multiple replies. I can fit an entire muley in my AMR, any chance someone has tested the Bedlam extended to see how many bags of meat can fit (bone in)? Appreciate any information, sorry again for multiple replies

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think all their buckles come that way nor, but couldn't hurt to ask. If you really don't like them, they (the buckles) can always be swapped out with regular ones.

If you have access to most of the bag (ie not a bunch camping stuff already in it) you'll be able to fit a mule deer in the bag, of course you can always stash the meat (or some of the meat) behind the bag—my preference as it put the weight closer to the frame and your back.