Kifaru Fulcrum Backpack Review ***Updated 12/14/20***

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
[mention]pyrotechnic [/mention] nice buck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!

I honestly don’t remember which straps came with the pack “factory mode” and which straps I added.
Does your pack have these same compression straps?

2eb3405941f7741e187c9ac468226785.jpg

If you’re going to run cargo on top of the main bag, I’d lock it down with these compression straps first if possible. Then wrap the wing pockets. Just a thought.

I don't have my pack handy to check, but i believe you're correct in that it come with the 2 (maybe 3) extra straps to compress the main bag without getting into the straps permanently attached to the wings.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok. I remember. You are correct. The side compression straps came in factory mode.
I added straps to the bottom of the pack to attach to the guide lid. I remember now.

Anyone wish the main bag had more capacity? I’m so torn to go with this, a crater or when the updated xpac pack comes in the spring. I might have a sheep hunt to pack for!

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone wish the main bag had more capacity? I’m so torn to go with this, a crater or when the updated xpac pack comes in the spring. I might have a sheep hunt to pack for!

You can fit an ungodly amount of shit in it, I personally don't think you should be worried about it being to small.

It seems like I read somewhere that with nothing in the main bag the wings can be kind of floppy. Is this something those of you who run the pack as a day pack have noticed? If so, how have you managed it? Has anyone tried using a grab it 2 around the wings? Pics?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
It seems like I read somewhere that with nothing in the main bag the wings can be kind of floppy. Is this something those of you who run the pack as a day pack have noticed? If so, how have you managed it? Has anyone tried using a grab it 2 around the wings? Pics?

I can post some pics. Definitely not floppy. You can strap everything down plenty tight.

I can post some pics. Definitely not floppy. You can strap everything down plenty tight.

That would be awesome, I love seeing pictures of different set up options. Thanks man!

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
a7fd2e8ec7932c979fff2bbd984b6d34.jpg

As you see here, the side flaps strap down tight. I’ll take some more pics. The pack is in the backseat of my pickup (wolf hunt)

I have a Timberline 2 and it’s a very similar layout. Love this review. I’ve bought Kifaru packs for everyone in my family. First me, then my wife for camping trips together and then my oldest son when he got through his first year of college and was heading to Iceland - Muskeg pack.
Now my youngest is going to finish his first year and go to the Rockies in may and see what it’s all about. Was going to get him a 357mag as I figured there are just so few times I really load that T2 up. I have a Woodsman also that I swap on the frame for my ruck and a Shapecharge and Sherman for photography gear and my whitetail hunting pack.

But, maybe I’ll just spend the cash and go with something like this that you can make small for those overnight trips and make big for when you’re going all in. Thanks for a great, truly great review and some epic pics.

Rooster22

FNG
I had my pack in and out of snow and rain for a day to a day and a half. It’s stayed plenty dry but I’ve never had it in a downpour.

7d4bda07f4687f518fa5f2ea48eed786.jpg

82e262ff21068a9005d4343004b4cf31.jpg

bc4e34d11b469ff6844a867a64293f4b.jpg

Totally dry on the inside.

Did you just sleep under the tarp there?