Thinking about ditching my Kifaru Fulcrum/Duplex Lite for an EXO K4 5000.

Per the title…

I’ve used the Kifaru exclusively since 2019 for pretty much all my pack needs. Primarily spike hunting 2-4 days at a time during rifle season for elk. It’s served me well, I don’t really have any major gripes. Bottom line it works, it’s comfortable, and it’s versatile.

But I’ve started to kinda explore what other options are out there, and if it’s worth it to try something new. Packs are highly personal, and I don’t want to spend the time and expense selling the kifaru to buy something new and just be disappointed.

“Issues” I have with the Kifaru…

Holy shit it’s “strappy.” I feel like I have to undo a minimum of 3 buckles to get anything out of the pack, especially in day pack mode. Looking at the K4 design it seems to be easier to organize and get to stuff without undoing the whole pack.

It’s about a lb heavier than the EXO. It’s built like a tank, but I’d imagine if I could cut a lb off my sleep system or shelter I probably would, so why not my pack?

I’m sorta in between waist sizes with the Kifaru. I use a small, and even bought a medium to try for a bit but was worried it would stretch and I’d be in a world of hurt. But the small lacks some real estate on my hips.

The load shelf on the fulcrum is damn near unusable. I tried 2x years in a row to use it, gave up and now just shove quarters in the massive main compartment.

The only concern I have with the K4 is size. The fulcrum is a huge pack, and despite being very dialed with my gear at this point and very weight conscious, I still manage to damn near fill the thing for a 3-4 day spike hunt in Oct. Maybe that just happens because it’s bigger and I don’t have to be as “smart” with how I pack?

I could go with the larger K4, but with my style of hunting and use the 5000 seems like the right pack. When I bought the fulcrum I had no idea how I was going to hunt, so I wanted a pack that could literally do it all.
Being a few years into doing this successfully, I’m pretty dialed and doubt I’d be in a scenario where I’d spend more than 5 days in the backcountry on purpose.

Any input from folks that have tried both?

Last edited:

prm

WKR
I have had multiple Kifaru bags and now a K4. If you have a pack that fits well, still feels good after a couple days, and the design works for how you hunt, no different pack is going to be much, or any, of an improvement.
I have been able to make both work just fine. Both feel good and haul all the weight I haul with ease (the pack, not me). The K4 (mine is a 3600) can be strappy. Lots of buckles. Getting to the side pocket zipper requires releasing one or both of the lid buckles and then one of the upper cross straps. I’m learning to use the lid for anything I typically need to get during the day. Using the load shelf is pretty easy. Note, there is not a load shelf per se, just straps to attach stuff to the frame behind the bag. Loosen top lid straps and remove a velcro fastened strap on each side and pull it up through a buckle. Then remove cross straps and lift the bag off the frame. It’s not quite as easy as a Stryker or Hellbender style pack, but not hard.
If you have the bug, give the K4 a try. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. The bag design may be better for you. Or, a different Kifaru bag may be the better solution. Only one way to know for sure!

fatlander

WKR
I had a duplex tactical, then lite. Packed elk with both. Did a huge pull with the light a few years ago. 110# for 7 miles, up hill. It was brutal, but honestly it would have sucked with any pack. After that, I swung by the SG store and tried on a krux frame. I was blown away how much more comfortable the SG was than my duplex lite. Picked up the SG and ran it quite a bit against my duplex lite with loads. The SG was heads and tails better for me.

Fast forward, I really dislike the SG 5900 bag. Not enough organization and useless side pockets. The buckles on the SG weren’t great for me. I broke more buckles in a couple months than I did for years with kifaru, so I replaced all the buckles with kiffys. Curiosity got the better of me after playing with some buddies EXOs and I ended up with a k3 4600. It carries weight the same as the SG for me, until it gets really heavy. Then I get some slipping. The same thing happened with my kifaru too.

My dad needs a frame pack for a moose hunt we’ve got coming up, so he’s getting my K3. I’ve got a k4 that I’m going to be putting through its paces. Out of the gate, it’s built more like a kifaru (belt and lumbar) but moves with you like an EXO. Time will tell how much I do or don’t like it. Hoping it doesn’t slip around the 100 pound mark. I went with the 7200. It sucks down so tight in day mode, I’d rather have more bag than less. I’m a meat in the bag guy most of the time.

The mag series bags from kifaru are the least strappy bags you’re going to find, but they’re heavy for what they and don’t get as small in day mode to other bags of comparable size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
I'm in infancy with a SG 5900sky. I notice the weight is lighter when wet....not so much when dry compared to my kifaru mountain warrior / tac frame.

I just packed an elk out with the 5900 last week and it was great in action....but I damn near needed to watch a YouTube video on what the plan was with the 67 straps.....it's still in load shelf mode on my shop floor.

The kifaru is pretty simple there.

I like the sg strap adjustments. I was nervous before loading it up....but it did great. My kifaru inspires confidence in design, but if I want a minor tweak on a strap, I need to plan a stop that's gonna be a while whereas the sg is a 10 second event.

Drenalin

WKR
I jump from pack to pack a lot. Not directly related to the ones you're discussing, but I've found that once I get used to one, making the adjustment to a new one is a significant period of being highly annoyed by every detail of the new pack. Not to mention that if the Kifaru frame is a comfortable fit for you, the Exo will feel different which can be annoying too, even if it isn't necessarily uncomfortable.

As far as "strappiness" Exo will definitely alleviate that gripe. Their bags and straps are very intuitively laid out and don't interfere with each other much .

Kifaru was my pack of choice for a while. Had several and they fit well. The load shelf thing you mentioned is no lie. That thing is ridiculous. I still think the SG has the best shelf system. The Kifaru seems like an afterthought.
I now own a couple K4 packs. I settled on the 3600 but had the 5000. I think I could comfortably do five days in the 3600 without much effort. The Kifaru was always comfortable and I had zero complaints in that area, but the EXO took it up a notch for me. I have yet to carry super heavy with the EXO (as I am a sucky hunter) but believe it will be as comfortable as is possible which isn't much. Super heavy sucks no matter what, just that some packs help it such a little less.
The weight of the pack is one of the first things I noticed putting on the K4. It was very noticeable compared to the 44 mag I was running mostly. The simplicity of the layout is another bonus.
I think you will be happy. Both are fantastic packs. Just seems the K4 was the better fit for me.

Lawnboi

WKR
Iv been using a fulcrum/duplex hunter for a long time, and plan to try a SG terminus for my next. My frame is about shot, and it sounds like the only option through kifaru is to make a Frankenstein pack, they won’t repair or even make matching parts. In that time Iv tried a few others and keep coming back to the fulcrum as a do all. My only complaint is the weight, and the frame. I don’t need nor want a frame, I don’t swap bags, and I don’t use a load shelf. The frame just seems to add more cumbersome attachment and feeling.

The pack being “strappy” is often a concern for people who havnt had a lot of time with the pack, and while they can be annoying when you need something small, those straps make a big difference when it’s time to load it down.

Honestly what it comes down to for me, spending 600 on a pack, or spending 450 on a new frame.

You can play musical packs every year. Fortunately it seems a decade is about the most a normal guy is going to get out of a pack, if it’s working it’s hard for me to just spend money to spend money anymore.

Last edited:
IMO, once you get to that top shelf level of pack - exo, stone glacier, MR, Kifaru, etc. - you are basically having a Ford vs Chevy debate. It really coms down to preference. I was a few frames and packs into my Kifaru journey before I went back to MR. My decision was based on personal comfort and a preference for how MR lets me organize my packing that goes back to using Dana designs packs decades ago.

IMO opinion you have to get a few miles on a pack to really know if it work well. Unfortunately, that likely means you have to buy and try a few packs to find the right one for you.

In your comparison I also used Kifaru duplex lite two years ago for a few hunts. I liked it and generally didn't have any issues. My main issue is I do not like Kifaru lids or how their load shelf works.

I have used Exo K2, K3 and now K4. Let's just say this I just texted a buddy this week and said, the K4 has now taken the #A1 spot for me above Kifaru and SG. It's that good of a pack and I have hopping around between SG, Kifaru and Exo. I am not hopping around and sticking with the K4.

OP
B
Tons of good info guys! Seriously thank you, this is why rokslide is a great place.

Glad to know I wasn’t alone having issues with the fulcrum load shelf… I figured it was me doing something wrong. 😂

Sounds like it’s worthwhile to give the K4 a shot. I just haven’t heard many complaints about it anywhere, and it seems like it will address the admittedly minor issues I had with the fulcrum. I’ll probably hang on to both for a bit. Hanging onto both long term would push the gear budget a bit this year, but that’s an option. Either way plenty of time between now and next fall to test them out and see what works best.

Scotto

WKR
If the frame and suspension works, is comfy, put the Exo pack bag on the Kifaru frame. That is how I have mine setup. The bag is not a K4 though.

I Have a kifaru fulcrum and ma deuce. Have a few pouches attached to the fulcrum . i understand the "strappy" thing. Kifaru has the Ma deuce on sale for $255. Pretty good deal . Main bag is spacious , but no need for pouches with all the other zipper pockets . It compresses nice. I think its an under-rated bag. I like both . Anyway just different thoughts and yes like everyone else looked at the K-4

Sherrif

FNG
In your comparison I also used Kifaru duplex lite two years ago for a few hunts. I liked it and generally didn't have any issues. My main issue is I do not like Kifaru lids or how their load shelf works.

I have used Exo K2, K3 and now K4. Let's just say this I just texted a buddy this week and said, the K4 has now taken the #A1 spot for me above Kifaru and SG. It's that good of a pack and I have hopping around between SG, Kifaru and Exo. I am not hopping around and sticking with the K4.
I have a “new” Exo K3 that I finally got to use this past September on a New Mexico Elk hunt. Watched all of the videos on fittment, but had trouble with it sliding down in back off of my hips (with only 25lb in it). Watched more videos, bought the stiffer lumbar pad, and finally contacted Exo to see if they had any ideas on my issue.
They had me email pics of me in the pack to see how they thought it looked. They gave me a few ideas, which I tried, but I couldn’t get it to quit sliding down.
So my question, finally. Did you have any issues like this with your K3, and do you think that the K4 or Kifaru packs would be worth trying to help eliminate this problem? Thanks in advance for your opinion, the K3 seems like a well built pack but I’m at a loss as to what to do at this point.

I have a “new” Exo K3 that I finally got to use this past September on a New Mexico Elk hunt. Watched all of the videos on fittment, but had trouble with it sliding down in back off of my hips (with only 25lb in it). Watched more videos, bought the stiffer lumbar pad, and finally contacted Exo to see if they had any ideas on my issue.
They had me email pics of me in the pack to see how they thought it looked. They gave me a few ideas, which I tried, but I couldn’t get it to quit sliding down.
So my question, finally. Did you have any issues like this with your K3, and do you think that the K4 or Kifaru packs would be worth trying to help eliminate this problem? Thanks in advance for your opinion, the K3 seems like a well built pack but I’m at a loss as to what to do at this point.
You are not alone my friend with k3 slipping. I actually was going to go back to SG xcurve when I got a tip that the k4 was coming out. I decided to wait. Boy am I glad I did. I’ve had 100lbs in the k4 and it’s had zero slip. Honestly I really don’t know how you get a better fitting pack.

Sherrif

FNG
You are not alone my friend with k3 slipping. I actually was going to go back to SG xcurve when I got a tip that the k4 was coming out. I decided to wait. Boy am I glad I did. I’ve had 100lbs in the k4 and it’s had zero slip. Honestly I really don’t know how you get a better fitting pack.
Thanks for the info! Thought I was doing something wrong, but maybe that pack is just not the right one for my body type.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Per the title…

I’ve used the Kifaru exclusively since 2019 for pretty much all my pack needs. Primarily spike hunting 2-4 days at a time during rifle season for elk. It’s served me well, I don’t really have any major gripes. Bottom line it works, it’s comfortable, and it’s versatile.

But I’ve started to kinda explore what other options are out there, and if it’s worth it to try something new. Packs are highly personal, and I don’t want to spend the time and expense selling the kifaru to buy something new and just be disappointed.

“Issues” I have with the Kifaru…

Holy shit it’s “strappy.” I feel like I have to undo a minimum of 3 buckles to get anything out of the pack, especially in day pack mode. Looking at the K4 design it seems to be easier to organize and get to stuff without undoing the whole pack.

It’s about a lb heavier than the EXO. It’s built like a tank, but I’d imagine if I could cut a lb off my sleep system or shelter I probably would, so why not my pack?

I’m sorta in between waist sizes with the Kifaru. I use a small, and even bought a medium to try for a bit but was worried it would stretch and I’d be in a world of hurt. But the small lacks some real estate on my hips.

The load shelf on the fulcrum is damn near unusable. I tried 2x years in a row to use it, gave up and now just shove quarters in the massive main compartment.

The only concern I have with the K4 is size. The fulcrum is a huge pack, and despite being very dialed with my gear at this point and very weight conscious, I still manage to damn near fill the thing for a 3-4 day spike hunt in Oct. Maybe that just happens because it’s bigger and I don’t have to be as “smart” with how I pack?

I could go with the larger K4, but with my style of hunting and use the 5000 seems like the right pack. When I bought the fulcrum I had no idea how I was going to hunt, so I wanted a pack that could literally do it all.
Being a few years into doing this successfully, I’m pretty dialed and doubt I’d be in a scenario where I’d spend more than 5 days in the backcountry on purpose.

Any input from folks that have tried both?
I have both, and I wouldn’t recommend going to the bigger K4 bag. Their bags taper fairly hard at the bottom and makes it seem like the bag is smaller than say a 5k Kifaru. I like the K4, just wish I had a bigger bag.

OP
B
I have both, and I wouldn’t recommend going to the bigger K4 bag. Their bags taper fairly hard at the bottom and makes it seem like the bag is smaller than say a 5k Kifaru. I like the K4, just wish I had a bigger bag.
Thanks @Jordan Budd! I take it you meant to say you would recommend the bigger bag?

The larger K4 is only a 2oz weight penalty. As long as it compresses well I wouldn’t see a big downside to a bigger bag minus weight.