Kifaru Grab It Details

WoodBow

WKR
I have done a little research on making a grab it and it seems there are some variations among them. I guess I should have paid more attention before I tore into a build. I made one yesterday based on some measurements I found on this forum and then when I went to put it on the pack, I noticed a problem. I put 3 bar sliders on tab loops at the bottom, as I had seen several this way, but if I put the sliders in the bottom common loops on the frame with a full bag, it makes the grab it pretty useless. It only comes about 4 inches up the front of bag. So obviously it was not intended to attach this way with a full pack. I noticed the newer ones have long straps and a ladder lock on the bottom. I wish I had noticed that before. So how were the ones with the 3 bar sliders designed to attach with a full bag? I'm assuming some kind of adjustable strap that connects to the sliders on the bottom.

The measurements I found were 16.5" across the top, 6.5" across the bottom, and 14" up the side. Does that sound correct? Some of the pics I looked at seemed taller than that.

This is the one I put together. I'm trying to decide if I want to keep it, seam rip the loops off and replace them, or start over entirely. I will add the cinch cord eventually.
k130qe.jpg

There are common loops on the bottom of the bigger bags such as the EMR2 and DT1/2. The 3 bar sliders went into those rather than the ones on the frame.

Could you make two straps that hook to the common loop and are adjustable to your grab it? Three bar slider on one end and a common loop on the other, with a slider so you can adjust. That is sort of how the new ones are set up.

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
That is most likely what i will end up doing.
Could you make two straps that hook to the common loop and are adjustable to your grab it? Three bar slider on one end and a common loop on the other, with a slider so you can adjust. That is sort of how the new ones are set up.

colonel00

WKR
I think what you are finding is what led to the Grabit II. Having adjustability at the bottom really opens up more options for mounting and usage.

AdamW

WKR
I think what you are finding is what led to the Grabit II. Having adjustability at the bottom really opens up more options for mounting and usage.

My thought as well. I'd like to see a Grab It II (maybe even slightly taller in size) in Blaze Orange; all the function of the Grab It but also offers some additional safety during rifle seasons. Aron are you out there? Aron?.... :D

BTW, mad sewing skills sir, it's looking good!

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
As best as i can tell, the ones kifaru makes are single layer with no liner. A blaze orange liner would be great. I thought about it but did not have the material on hand. I made mine double layered for durability and to let me hide the webbing ends between the layers.

colonel00

WKR
I plan to make up my own variation of the Grabit idea. I was going to add a small zippered pocket made out of blaze orange silnylon. Not only could I store small stuff like extra straps or whatever, but I could basically flip that pocket to the outside for visibility. I still haven't worked it all out.

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
I plan to make up my own variation of the Grabit idea. I was going to add a small zippered pocket made out of blaze orange silnylon. Not only could I store small stuff like extra straps or whatever, but I could basically flip that pocket to the outside for visibility. I still haven't worked it all out.
I like that idea. I considered making the entire thing a pocket since i made it double layered. It would have been cake but i didnt have an appropriate sized zipper on hand. I think the best option would be utilizing the entire thing as a pocket (assuming a double layer design) and then just have a large orange flag sewn to the inside that can be pulled through the zipper opening.

Jmock97

Lil-Rokslider
All you really need is a piece of webbing and a three bar slide you weave the web through the three bar on the grab it and hook the other three bar to the frame or pack IMG_20160217_182652 (2).jpg

Last edited:

colonel00

WKR
All you really need is a piece of webbing and a three bar slide you weave the web through the three bar on the grab it and hook the other three bar to the frame or pack View attachment 33782

Very nice solution. Does it slip at all? I guess you could run another three bar slider on the "loose" end of the webbing and double the webbing over and butt the slider up against the slider on the bottom of the Grabit.

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
I like that. Took me a minute to wrap my mimd around what you were doing. But that certainly works.