Kifaru Hellbender vs Stryker XL

jdvanstar

WKR
Looking at getting either a hellbender or Stryker xl for day hunts and whitetail hunting. I wondered what would be better for hauling around my saddle platform and sticks. Seems like I could almost hang the platform on the frame using the molle and clips with the Stryker. Is there a good way to do that with the HB? Anyone use either for saddle hunting?

Kenneth@Kifaru

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey man, I would say the Stryker XL would be perfect for that. The load shelf on the stryker is 500 D and will be more durable for hauling treestands than the Xpac material that is on the Hellbender. The Hellbender is meant for hauling meat, because the XPac is easier to keep clean.

ncavi8tor

WKR
I had the HB and sold it to buy a Stryker XL. I found the Stryker XL has more strapping options with the extra molle loops on the outside and can be sucked down much tighter to my frame when empty or nearly so. Both are great packs, but the Stryker XL is more versatile for my uses.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

OP
J

jdvanstar

WKR
I had the HB and sold it to buy a Stryker XL. I found the Stryker XL has more strapping options with the extra molle loops on the outside and can be sucked down much tighter to my frame when empty or nearly so. Both are great packs, but the Stryker XL is more versatile for my uses.

NC

That’s where I landed. Thanks for the advice.

Citizen

FNG
I really like the bane pocket and the larger slash pocket on the Hellbender. I also like the xpac material. I haven’t owned a striker but i image it’s a fine pack.

wnelson14

WKR
That’s where I landed. Thanks for the advice.

NC

Did the same, also another deal breaker stand out for the Stryker XL is the water bladder sleeve not in the bag but in the back panel. You can line the internal Molle with pockets to add storage and or add a grab it and have a stretch pocket exactly like the HB.

Also had both, kept the Stryker XL. The size difference for what I do with each was sort of a non factor. I like the 500d for durability over the xpac on the sling. The stryker has more attachment options, and while the dump pouch on the front of the HB is nice, its takes away some modularity. I felt I could keep things tighter to the frame with the Stryker XL as well. No doubt though, youre almost splitting hairs trying to decide between them. Both are very well designed packs.

And might not seem like a big deal to some, the Stryker XL has a pocket on the frame side of the sling for a bladder or other flat items while the HB is flat xpac. Yes, you can hang a bladder from the frame without a pocket on that side, I just prefer having that pocket there for my bladder/maps/etc. If you put the bladder in the pack with a camp bag on the shelf, depending on the length of your tube, might not make it all the way around.

I run the Stryker XL and have not had an issue with it. You throw a bane or Sherman pocket on it and you successfully turned it into a better hellbender in my opinion. Either pack will do a great job for you and you will not be disappointed.

bcv

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. Ordered a Stryker XL with a Sherman.
You're going to like it.
I've put a .5 with 17" sticks on the Stryker XL shelf... or The Fix with 20" doubles or fulls under the Sherman.
Sometimes I run with the .75 on the shelf with my large sticks under the Sherman.
It's a badass pack.

OP
J

jdvanstar

WKR
You're going to like it.
I've put a .5 with 17" sticks on the Stryker XL shelf... or The Fix with 20" doubles or fulls under the Sherman.
Sometimes I run with the .75 on the shelf with my large sticks under the Sherman.
It's a badass pack.
That's a sweet set up. I've been using my buddy's regular Stryker to test it out - threw my Trophyline Platform and short sticks on their side right in the shelf. Worked way better than I thought.

bcv

Lil-Rokslider
That's a sweet set up. I've been using my buddy's regular Stryker to test it out - threw my Trophyline Platform and short sticks on their side right in the shelf. Worked way better than I thought.
I posted a thread showing the Rogan under the Sherman. Rogan holds my clippers, saw, gloves, phone charger, calls, SD case, extra cans of dip, etc... Sherman holds my Sitka muff, fanatic beanie, ropes.. and the pack will hold the heaviest jackets, saddle, game bags, food, with extra room to spare for all day sits. Having the shelf is what you want for meat pack outs and going deep. I added some pullouts and have medium belt pouches. Super organized. No complaints. It doesn't seem too big but holds more than I thought it would being a 1900 ci bag. My previous 2300 ci bag seems smaller.

Hey man, I would say the Stryker XL would be perfect for that. The load shelf on the stryker is 500 D and will be more durable for hauling treestands than the Xpac material that is on the Hellbender. The Hellbender is meant for hauling meat, because the XPac is easier to keep clean.
Good info and accurate. Love my Stryker!

Citizen

FNG
You guys are making me want a Striker. I only have one back to wear them though and I like the Hellbender a lot.