Kifaru, kuiu or exo?

I've had no problems with my new Kuiu Pro frame and suspension. I've packed out a full quarterd buck in one haul and a full quartered doe on another haul. With no issues. I would like to try other packs. But I'm satisfied with the one I have so..

gelton

WKR
If I was buying a new one today it would be Kifaru because they seem to be king in durability. I’ve had to send my stone glacier frame in twice because straps torn during hauling meat. That’s the price I pay for buying the lightest weight pack I guess…
This is a great observation and as Aron always says, "you have to pay the piper" meaning it is definitely a game of give and take between durability and light weight.

sharpbb14

FNG
I had a kuiu pack that I was able to damage during a hunt, and I started to look into the exo packs because that is what my buddy uses and he likes his, but I thought I should at least check with kuiu's warrantee department. Their customer service was easy, fast and made it right 100%. I decided to stick with kuiu and use their products. Plus, their packs fit me so well and carry heavy loads very well. Plus, plus, their attack pants are the best all season pants for me. Quality is good with all of them. Kuiu makes an impression on me.

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
Kuiu. I believe this will be the year they become the number 1 selling pack. Kifaru and Exo make great stuff too but it’s sub par to the new kuiu. Just a matter of time before everyone catches up.

gelton

WKR
Kuiu. I believe this will be the year they become the number 1 selling pack. Kifaru and Exo make great stuff too but it’s sub par to the new kuiu. Just a matter of time before everyone catches up.
Who knows, they may be already the #1 selling pack...given their reach and marketing dollars it isn't a far stretch, but #1 selling does not necessarily make it a top tier product...ask Badlands or Eberlestock.

Phaseolus

WKR
Seek Outside makes , in Colorado, the most comfortable pack I’ve ever worn in 45 years of backcountry cruising.

JNDEER

WKR
Alright gonna go down this rabbit hole, breaking down and finally buying a good pack wondering witch one out of kifaru, kuiu, or exo y'all think is the best for comfort and durability??

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
It’s a big rabbit hole. I have owned all 3 and stone glacier. Honestly, having them all is the only way to truly see which is best for your frame.

for comfort- it depends on your body size. I have a large built frame. 36-38” .. 6’ and 215#. I carry more weight around my waist. Because of this the L/XL kuiu belt wouldn’t wrap around me enough to be comfortable with heavy weight.

kifaru has a nice wide comfortable belt. Just enough padding - but not too much. The old duplex frame built like a board was nice- the newer hunter than lite models for me seem to want to hold the weight away from my back. The “normal curve” stay is a tad too curvy for my frame. Despite that- I still keep the kifaru around. The kifaru is built around a more stiff/rigid frame.

EXO. I have owned all generations and the K3 with the extensions is the ticket. Getting that extra 15 degree of load lift feels really nice. The had the original K3 and had the slipping issues some noted. EXO fixed that with extra Velcro. The EXO packs are a more soft comfortable pack that can mold a little better to your body- it doesn’t have a huge curvy stay like Kifaru does.

I cannot comment for durability with Kuiu for me personally - but have hunted with my brother for years and his 3000 and 7200 bags still going strong and have been well used. I still use an older model timberline kifaru bag and although it’s heavy- it is stout. My original EXO 5500 from there first generation line has has been on my back everywhere and in 4 different states including Hawaii. It has packed deer, pig, bear, boar, elk and axis. The EXO bag I can say without a doubt are durable in my experience.

best of luck finding your rabbit. My best advice would be whichever pack you get- spend a lot of time getting it fitted good to your body and using it before you make a final decision.

madcalfe

WKR
kifaru
859913F7-BA39-43D3-94BA-A9249097D3DA.jpeg
Stone glacier
DEB2315B-2CB1-4CE8-947B-ED4DB54539AC.jpeg
I ordered a kuiu for my gf and returned it right away lol. All the top of the line packs like kifaru, exo, stone glacier, mystery ranch, seek will all haul meat. Just depends what fits your back.

reaperukon

Lil-Rokslider
Initial ascent…….new to the scene, but a solid pack. It packs heavy $*** like nothing I’ve seen before. I’ve loaded 75# in it and was amazed it felt like half that. No hip fatigue and rides solidly over the hips with no strain on shoulders or back.

***addition:
I have an EXO K2 3500 and love it. It doesn’t haul as heavy as the Initial ascent.

I ran a 7200 Kuiu and I absolutely hated the numerous zippers and straps that made up that conflagration. The thing squeaked like a mo fo too. There was no slick way to strap a bow to the back of it.

Both of the other bags are simple to access. They haul meat with ease. I’ve hauled 70# meat loads with 30# of gear in both. IA>EXO on the fatigue factor. Both kept my back from hurting. EXO just hurt my hips a little more. I’m hoping the K3 eliminates that issue. If you desire organization inside it then Kifaru sacks (weigh nothing) and will let you get that aspect. The EXO and the IA both weighed less than my KUIU.

FWIW I prefer almost all the camo hunting clothing from Kuiu, so it’s not like I don’t love or use their products. I just don’t care for their packs. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Im really happy with my mystery ranch, I have 2 bags (beartooth 80 and pintler) with 1 frame. I’d definitely give them consideration. Although I did like my old kifaru.

Northpark

WKR
I have a kuiu with a 2200 bag and a 5200 bag that i switch back and forth depending on the game plan for that hunt. Hauled out elk, deer etc. I personally like it because it fits me very comfortably. I’ve heard people complain they don’t handle 120lb loads well but I’m not gonna haul 120lbs ever again because the last time I did that I think I hurt myself and I’m not a big guy.

mtnlomo

FNG
Try them out! I tried Kuiu, Exo, Stone Glacier, and Seek Outside. I ended up liking Stone Glacier and Seek Outside best, chose the Seek Outside in the end. Kifaru I wish I had the funds to try and buy. I liked Kuiu the least, which isn’t saying much because it was still a good pack, just didn’t fit me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk