Kifaru Lite frame vs Stone Glacier Xcurve

Bunkin

FNG
So I am looking at both of these companies. I have found bags for both that I like so I'm not concerned about that. But I am trying to dig into both frames to see if one would be a better fit for me over the other. I have habitually had issues with the waist belts on my prior packs (kuiu first gen pack and a newer Sitka mountain hauler 6200) not working well with heavier weights. I can do 30lbs with each no problem but as soon as it gets heavier than that I find the shoulder straps dig in and the waist belt starts to cause hot spots.

For this reason I like the look of the Kifaru waist belt as it seems bigger and it would distribute the weight better. But I keep reading that SG makes an excellent frame as well.

I have called both companies and have gotten input from both on sizing so I'm good there.

Anyone have some wisdom for me???

The padding on the shoulder straps on the kifaru are going to have a little more padding than the SG. Along with the waist belt being a bit more contoured than the SG. I have owned both the X curve and the newer Lite frame by kifaru. I sold the SG to buy the kifaru and loved everything about that frame except the lumbar pad. I have some old injuries with my lower back and when I’d put weight in the kifaru it would really start to irritate my lower back. I ended up selling it and going back to the SG and it is working much better for me. All that being said, I think from what you stated that the Kifau would be your better choice. I loved everything about the setup I had but just couldn’t make it work for me. I’m sure you’ll get some other opinions and whichever pack you go with, just make absolute sure it’s fitted properly.

I have a buddy that runs the Sitka pack and was not impressed at all with the belt and yoke on that pack. I ran a MR pack with the NICE frame for a number of years and the Sitka frame reminds me a lot of that. The MR pack was indestructible but it was pretty raw as far as the belt and shoulder comfort for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just sold a kifaru lite. It is an awesome frame and I didn’t have any complaints, Im just not crazy about the current bag offerings and I just couldn’t shake the idea of trying the new xcurve.

I don’t think you can go wrong either way. I will say, for my back the xcurve frame felt better and the meat shelf was excellent for hauling a 50 bag of gravel. I ordered a medium belt but in process of exchanging for a large.

I just sold a kifaru lite. It is an awesome frame and I didn’t have any complaints, Im just not crazy about the current bag offerings and I just couldn’t shake the idea of trying the new xcurve.

I don’t think you can go wrong either way. I will say, for my back the xcurve frame felt better and the meat shelf was excellent for hauling a 50 bag of gravel. I ordered a medium belt but in process of exchanging for a large.

Do you think you have more of a curved back or a straight back? Or maybe average?
Also, in a direct comparison, do you find the hip belt of the SG more supportive than the Kifaru?

Do you think you have more of a curved back or a straight back? Or maybe average?
Also, in a direct comparison, do you find the hip belt of the SG more supportive than the Kifaru?

I’d say I have an average back. Too soon to say on the belt. Will let you know in a week or so.

I just got the belt switched and have about 10-12 miles on it.

When I first put it on i had some concerns but once I researched how to adjust frame specifically for my body I’ve loved it. Very quiet and stream lined. As said before I’d say back is average. Being able to adjust shoulder straps and the angle, along with the lumbar support made huge differences for me.

Per the sizing guide I’m supposed to use a medium belt but the power pulls seemed to hit my hip bones. I swapped for a large belt and it made a huge difference. Load lifters work, weight is even distributed on waist, and no creaking or noise. I wanted a load shelf built into frame and really like this one for 50 pounds of gravel.

The kifaru belt is probably still my favorite, but I prefer the overall frame of the xcurve. If the xcurve hd the same foam as the kifaru it would
Be the holy grail for me.

I don’t think you can go wrong either way. For what I wanted, the SG is a better solution. None of the kifaru bags checked all the boxes for me and I was always compromising with something. Great quality and comfort, just not the right application for me.

I wanted one frame with 2 bags for two different scenarios: Public land run and gun lock on hunting and western 3-5 day backpacking.

Went with the approach 1800 and solo. Only done a mock load up for run and gun but so far it sets ups considerably better than my previous iterations of kifaru frames and bags.

I tested the duplex lite and Xcurve side by side using a 60lb sand bag. This was to mimic average trail weight. I did breifly throw in 100lbs to check the feel.

I do think the Kifaru is the nicest feeling belt in the industry. Overall the comfort feel was really close for me. I stuck with the Xcurve as I actually prefered the stiffer/denser lumbar pad of the xcurve. This allows the Xcurve to stick to your back better and I thought the Xcurve had less slip than the duplex.

the duplex padding is actually thinner, but the width or height is larger. shoulder straps on the duplex lite were a little thicker, but I do like the how well the Xcurve shoulder straps form to the curvature of the body.

At end of day the Xcurve checked more boxes for me and what I want in a suspension frame.

I haven’t used the Kifaru offering so take this with a grain of salt: I went with the X Curve when I ordered my pack. I haven’t hunted with it yet but I’ve been doing hikes, stairs and walks around the neighborhood with 25lbs to 90lbs in. So far I have not gotten my shoulders or hips marked up from the weight, my neck and shoulders don’t get fatigued and my only complaint is that I didn’t buy two. One for hunting and one standalone frame for training (it’s 2-3 times a week since October) mainly because With no bag It’s faster to secure the load shelf while at work. I firmly believe you can’t go wrong with either one as the Kifaru gets high marks with all load sizes and my own testing with the xcurve shows it’s good with all load sizes. If you can, buy both frames and sell whatever doesn’t work best. Losing some money reselling a frame is a small price to pay for a quality pack that will enhance your hunt not detract from it. Good luck with your search.

I’ll throw in my experience here as I tested an X-curve and duplex lite side by side line a few others here.

I really enjoyed the feel of the x-curve frame, it felt like it just stuck to my back so well. It was pretty comfortable to wear with loads up to 50-60 pounds. Carrying too much weight is miserable no matter what, but the x-curve felt good with heavier weight because of how it fit my back. The only issue I had with it, and why I ended up going with the duplex lite, is because after several hours of packing out a heavy load the belt was not very comfortable for me. Seemed to really want to dig into my hips.

The duplex lite was hand over fist better than the duplex hunter for me. Like others have said, a little more padded feel than the SG for sure, but it rides pretty good on my body as well. I might have slightly preferred the feel of the x-curve, but this pack won out for me because I found it much more comfortable to wear for long periods of time. If you go the route of the duplex lite you could order both sets of stays (curved and normal) and return whichever one you don’t like as much.

Again, as others have said, you’ll be good with either. They’re both great packs. Good luck with your decision!

I think there is a difference between kifaru and sg as far as how the weight is distributed with kifaru putting more on the hips and sg more than kifaru on the shoulders. It basically comes down to fit and pack bag selection and total unloaded weight.

I may be wrong but I watched both companies 'how to fit a pack' videos multiple times and sg wanted the top of the shoulder straps to contour the upper back and kifaru wanted a space between the top of the straps and the top/rear back of the user. I would think that difference in fit would equal a difference in design and also load distribution.

The other thing is the kifaru lite may not be equal to the x-curve as far as overall design to handle weight, I only have a duplex in a kifaru frame and have the krux and curve from sg and a mr guide lite....the main difference I noticed between them all is the curve puts the top of the frame stays close to my head but I also have a short torso for my 6' height and sg says that is the issue.....I have not really packed heavy weight in them all for enough miles to make a decision on which is best (with up to 50# they have all been good with no real issues). I may put kifaru aluminum stays in the curve and get the top of the stays back away from my head a bit more and contour the rest of the stay the same as the stock curve stays....or I may just deal with it as is because it is pretty comfy other than that one issue.

Used the krux last season for whitetail with up to 55# and had no issues with it @ all, and the 6200 was an awesome bag for that use along with the built in load shelf.

If your close to my area your welcome to try one of the frames on a hike with me.....

Last edited:
I tested the duplex lite and Xcurve side by side using a 60lb sand bag. This was to mimic average trail weight. I did breifly throw in 100lbs to check the feel.

I do think the Kifaru is the nicest feeling belt in the industry. Overall the comfort feel was really close for me. I stuck with the Xcurve as I actually prefered the stiffer/denser lumbar pad of the xcurve. This allows the Xcurve to stick to your back better and I thought the Xcurve had less slip than the duplex.

the duplex padding is actually thinner, but the width or height is larger. shoulder straps on the duplex lite were a little thicker, but I do like the how well the Xcurve shoulder straps form to the curvature of the body.

At end of day the Xcurve checked more boxes for me and what I want in a suspension frame.

Yeah I forgot to mention shoulder straps. SG shoulder straps seem thinner or less comfortable at first, but for me are much more comfortable after I get done on a hike or ruck.

I put a 60lb sandbag in the meat shelf of my xcurve to do backpack cardio and so far I havnt bothered to work out with my kifaru because the SG is working so well. I do like the kifaru hip belt a lot but for me it comes down to the bag selection and the fact that I can get the biggest SG pack and it’s probably ~ 2lbs lighter than the lightest offering from kifaru.

all that being said, it probably doesn’t make a bit of difference either way since both companies make kick ass gear, pick them based on fit, feel and features, the 2 companies have very different philosophies behind their products and neither is better or worse than the other.

It truly is a personal thing. We are all built different. I have owned over 26 high end packs that I can count. I currently and continue to use the SG X-Curve. Incredible comfort for me.

If you have it narrowed down to two. Buy both. Try both. Then return the one that comes in second. The $20 return shipping will be the best $20 you spent!!

Last edited:
I had both at the same time. I feel confident in both. hipbelt is better on Kifaru. I had loads in each and for me the SG feels better. Sold all my Kifaru. Don’t let that deter you. Kifaru is incredible.

I run a SG and love it, but I would encourage you to order both. Load them both up, try them out and see what fits and works better for you.

Both companies will let you return within 30 days as long as they are clean.

Back