Kifaru lite shoulder straps

RBHunter

WKR
Just got my new lite frame. Got it all set up. Are the bottom of the shoulder straps suppose to tuck behind the lumbar pad? It seems as if they are pushing the pad out a bit.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
No they arent. Sounds like you have way too long of shoulder straps. A photo would help if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
RBHunter

RBHunter

WKR
21.5" torso. (Stated wrong in another post of mine)
Ordered long straps.
26" frame
20190205_213525.jpg20190205_213531.jpg

HighVoltageHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Your lumbar pad must sit way too high on your lower back. I am 5’11”, my torso is about 19”, I use the long straps and they are butted up against the top of the lumbar pad.

OP
RBHunter

RBHunter

WKR
Hmmm. So do you think I have it adjusted wrong? Or the straps are to long?

OP
RBHunter

RBHunter

WKR
Anyone willing to send a pic of the correct adjustment?
HighVoltage, I have the belt centered on my hip bone.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone willing to send a pic of the correct adjustment?
HighVoltage, I have the belt centered on my hip bone.

I can get you a pic here in a bit. We’re about to go set the Kifaru booth up. I would say it’s adjusted wrong. Lengthen in out until the bottom of the strap is above the lumbar pad. Then try the shoulder straps from there and see how it fits.

Turkeyslayer7

Lil-Rokslider
I believe also that you should have some weight in the bag while seeing if it fits correctly

I have a 18.5" torso. I was a weight lifter most of my life until the last couple years. So, my neck, chest, and shoulders are wide and thick. My long shoulder straps are set to where the bottom of the straps are behind the first nylon band up from the lumbar pad. So, you either got the pack setup way to short, your torso isn't 21.5" long, or a mistake was made in the straps when making them, Also, I have both the short and long straps for my lite frame. There is more to the proper fit concerning the straps then where they set on the frame fingers going up the back. So, there is no way a 21.5" torso is going to work well without the longer straps

coleman

Lil-Rokslider
What was the outcome or solution that you worked out. I'm also in between sizes and trying to decide what shoulder straps,to get. Cheers

mro

FNG
I'm glad this got asked. My 26" lite frame with long straps is arriving tomorrow and I was worried if I should have ordered the short. I am 5'11" with 20" torso (slender build). Will report back when it arrives and I try it on.

mro

FNG
My previous frame was a 24” bikini with small belt. I was pretty happy with the bikini but felt like the stays were too short, thus the upgrade to a 26” frame.

My 26” lite frame arrived yesterday and I took some time to play around with the fit.

A couple of observations.

- All photos have the belt centered on my hip-bone. The new belt feels great!

- The lumbar pad on the newer 26” feels much thicker (probably because the 24” bikini has seen more use).

- The newer 26” frame rides more than 2” taller than the 24” bikini. I might switch to a 24” frame since I will be carrying loads around 50-70 lbs max.

- The ‘long’ shoulder straps on the new frame took a lot of adjustment to fit my shoulders properly. The first (and most important) problem was that they only made contact with top of my shoulders near my neck; there was a big gap on the side away from my neck. I think the straps are suited to thicker chested guys.

I played around with letting out different lengths of shoulder strap, position and tension of the sternum-strap, tension of the shoulder straps, and tension of the load lifters. I did this with about 45lbs of water weight and with no pack. The photos show the best fit I could get with the bottom of the shoulder straps just touching the lumber pad. I think the long straps could work for me but maybe the short would be better?

I'll be doing a training hike tomorrow with some weight in the new frame to see how it feels.

Does the 26" look too tall for me?

Last edited:

kdelarye

FNG
I don't think that's a 24 inch bikini frame. I'm 6'4" and I have a 24 inch bikini and the load lifters angle sits higher than that, in the picture. I also have the 26 duplex light and it fits me perfectly. From the looks of them photos you probably could run a 24 inch frame without issue. But once you put a bag on the frame, if it's the newer design you can adjust the load lifters down to get it proper.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mro

FNG
Re kdelarye: I considered that my bikini was a 22" for a moment too but measuring proves otherwise (sitting the frame upright on the floor and measuring to the top yields a smidge over 24").

I took the new 26" on some training hikes and found it to be pretty comfortable and the long straps work for me.

Since my highcamp doesn't have the variable load-lifter angles sewn in, I simulated a 24" frame load-lifter angle by zip-tying the load-lifter straps to the frame so they make a shallower (deeper?) angle. Mostly, I did this so I can still wear a wide brimmed hat while hiking with the pack on. I might switch to a 24" frame but I think the 26" will work for me.