Kifaru Markhor

vthokee

WKR
Picked one of these up for pretty cheap yesterday. My thoughts are to use this on the rare backpacking trips I might take. I have the Stryker that is my day hunting pack for elk and I use it back east for whitetail as well. I looked for some info on the Markhor but didn’t see a lot of info on it. Is anyone still using it? What is your setup like with pouches attached?

Dobermann

WKR
Hmm ... I thought we had a thread on the Markhor a year or two back ... try the search and see what you find.

IMHO, the Tahr, Markhor, and Argali were all underrated - possibly because of their very simplicity. And then Kifaru went on a bit of a side-track with vertical zips.

But if you want a more watertight, lightweight, and zip-free pack, they're great. The two pouches setup worked well, as did the spotting scope pouch right up the back.

I also experimented with a pouch at the bottom to hold a rifle, with two compression straps across the pack acting to both cinch the load overall, as well as hold the gun. Worked well, although not what you're after for your setup.

OP
vthokee

vthokee

WKR
Thanks for the info. This is really to use in one specific unit I put in for this year. The other units I’ll be truck camping and will run my Stryker.

Dobermann

WKR
Thanks for the info. This is really to use in one specific unit I put in for this year. The other units I’ll be truck camping and will run my Stryker.
Got it.

When you said "backpacking" in your first post, I thought you meant "just" backpacking as opposed to hunting, rather that backpack hunting.

In that case - those three simple "sack/one-piece" models are great, I reckon.

Main thing, I guess, is whether you want a centre or side zippers or not. Where I'm at, rain is an issue, so loose gear in a zippered pack doesn't work for me. Most of my stuff goes into one big stuffsack, and only accessing it via the collar is just how it is.

I think the other thing that worked so well about the Tahr, Markhor, and Argali was that they just had PALS tabs exactly where you needed them, rather than rows that you're not going to use - this removed a lot of unnecessary weight, and didn't reduce functionality much at all if you were only wanting to add Kifaru pouches.

Interesting to see some of that thinking come back in the Gnargali and the Muskeg.

Last edited:

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider
the Markhor is my go to pack for up to 5 nights chasing Elk. I usually run 3 belt pouches up the back. I think a couple mediums and a large on the bottom. The simple lid is good to hold down whatever is laying over the top of the pack. Sometimes I’ll use a guide lid instead but then I’ll take the top 2 pockets off cause the weight starts to get too far off your back with loaded pockets underneath. I can’t stand zippers on a pack so The markhor will be with me till the end.

OP
vthokee

vthokee

WKR
the Markhor is my go to pack for up to 5 nights chasing Elk. I usually run 3 belt pouches up the back. I think a couple mediums and a large on the bottom. The simple lid is good to hold down whatever is laying over the top of the pack. Sometimes I’ll use a guide lid instead but then I’ll take the top 2 pockets off cause the weight starts to get too far off your back with loaded pockets underneath. I can’t stand zippers on a pack so The markhor will be with me till the end.
If I draw one unit in NM I will definitely be doing a 5 night trip. Last time I hunted that unit I had an EXO 5500 and had room with all my gear. A lot of which I’ve changed or won’t bring because I didn’t use it last time. I think this bag will be ok. I have a couple medium pouches and a large pouch already that I use with my Stryker. I’ll definitely be getting a lid for it.