Kifaru Megatarp?

lkwoolsey

WKR
So, I'm currently running a Sierra Designs Mountain Guide Tarp. I love it, but its a bit much when I'm out by myself (its sold as a four person shelter, and will definitely serve as such, even with gear.) That said, I love the floorless designs. I'm looking at getting a Kifaru Megatarp. Everything I've seen on them is great, and I like their versatility. Is it a good tarp? (from those who have actually used one.) Also, is the back entrance a zipper or Velcro? Any additional experience and/or opinions are welcome. Just trying to decide before I go drop $545+ on it. Thanks in advance!

ianpadron

WKR
Back entrance is zippered. I just sold one to another member and will be buying another this spring. For what you described, can't go wrong with that shelter. I've spent a lot of nights in a similar set up from Jimmy Tarps and the Mega is simply a better design. Get one.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I have the old style mega so it is all Velcro with the annex. Having said that the size is great for one and doable for two with gear with a stove. The guy outs give a lot more room. If something were to happen to my existing one I would buy another.

Love everything about the MegaTarp. Dual zippered entrances, side tie outs give it a roomier feeling inside, light weight, and bomber design. Head and shoulders above every other tarp in that size and style. However....I sold mine and replaced it with the Tut. Definitely prefer to walk in rather than crawl in. Especially during inclement weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
lkwoolsey

lkwoolsey

WKR
Thanks for the quick responses! How's the condensation? I live in Western Washington, and needless to say it rains on every hunt. I haven't had too much of an issue with my Tipi, but is there enough airflow?

ianpadron

WKR
What makes it better than the Jimmy set up?

Thanks,
Boswell
You can sit up on both sides, enter/exit both sides, the annex/vestibule configuration is better for gear and a stove. Only thing the Jimmy has going for it is the fact that it weighs 20oz and costs half as much.

ianpadron

WKR
In regards to airflow, the fact that you can have both sides open like a tunnel helps to minimize condensation. That's been my experience hunting in WA with the Jimmy.

OP
lkwoolsey

lkwoolsey

WKR
Thanks all for the insights and information, especially from ianpadron! I put my Sierra Designs Tipi up for sale and will hopefully be ordering a Megatarp this week! I'm pretty excited about it. I should be able to use it quite a bit this January through March hunting javelina down in Arizona (have to go down there for work those months.) Thanks again!