Latest version of my perfect poncho/tarp shelter

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I’d go 112” x 66” if I was making one. Add 2 loops like the sheep tarp or I added to elevate the tarp on the ends in the cave configuration.

I have an old Pathfinder poncho thats a 7.5” square that works well too, makes a plow point that’s just big enough to work well. Its a heavier material, but could be made out of something lighter.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Pathfinder poncho

Attachments

• IMG_2487.jpeg
    IMG_2487.jpeg
    356.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2486.jpeg
    IMG_2486.jpeg
    352.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2484.jpeg
    IMG_2484.jpeg
    380.2 KB · Views: 19
The riptop by the roll silpoly XL or dutchware Xenon XL would be the perfect materials for a 66” poncho tarp. 108-116 is the ideal length, IMO. The hole should be off center with about 4 feet or so in the front and the rest in the back. Velcro or snaps placed along the back to take up extra material are essential to make it usable both as a pack cover and without a pack on. Add a piece of bungee cord as a “belt” and you have a pretty great system if someone would just make one.

5 tie downs on the long sides, three on the short sides, and three down the middle.

Read1t48

WKR
Revising this thread…
@mcseal2 - wasn’t sure on your timeline of building one or if you had started yet and what you found? I tried to get onto the wilderness innovation site, but it looks like their website is hacked and the response time for emails and orders don’t seem very good. I really like the versatility of the WI poncho/tarp.
Looking to use a poncho/tarp and Borah Bivy combo for this upcoming season for versatility.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I am not building one, just gave some advice on size if I was. My modified wilderness designs one fits my needs.