Kifaru Pack Searching, need some input

rbljack

WKR
I have been spending hours and hours watching videos and reviews of the kifaru packs. To say there are LOTS of options is an understatement. Id like to start working towards a kifaru set up. Id like to start by building something for day runs whitetail hunting. Then add on later with a different bag if necessary for elk and mule deer.

What set ups are yall running for a small daypack for whitetails. I have looked over both frames, and understand the duplex is for heavier loads, and bikini is best for under 80 pound loads from what I read. I also realize the search function helps a lot for what Im doing, and believe me, ive spent a lot of time going through threads....LOL. But sometimes asking a specific question invokes new info and updated posting based on whats currently out there instead of what was working best in the past.

Here is what Ive discovered so far. The EMR2 is a huge pack that can compress down to a daypack mode. From looking at the pics, its still bigger than what Id like for whitetail use. Then there is the nomad, smaller for sure, but appears to me that there is little external entry points which to me is a huge negative. I want access to some gear from the outer pack. What other smaller options are there? I really cant justify buying one of each frame, so Ill have to pick just one. Looking for inputs, and hope everyone had a great Christmas. This place called rokslide is addictive!! And now looking over the kifaaru line....oh crap. Yall say buy once cry once, but I say I think that's impossible with all the kifaru options out there...LOL

From packs to llids to accessory bags....ugg. Post up what your running for your whitetail and smaller set ups. Pics are a plus too!

I'm by far one of the most experienced guys here but I'll give you what I've got going...

I'm running a bikini frame because 90% of my time will be spent day hunting, carrying 40-60# loads either training or hunting, and the rare occasion I need to haul 100+ I know it will handle it. They say the Duplex would definitely be better for the heavier loads but I just don't carry heavy very often. Figured I'd take a little lighter weight and more comfort for my daily uses.

I've got an EMR2 and a HighCamp 4800 bag for it and feel I have everything from multi-day backcountry hunting to lightweight UL backpacking covered in both bags.

I'm expecting a Late Season to arrive tomorrow for my local whitetail hunting and general travel bag. Not sure it's necessary but will be great for those times I don't need a bikini set up but want to have options available.

With these 3 setups I should be covered for my foreseeable future. I've run a Longhunter lid for the past few months and really enjoyed the storage and size. The kids bought me a Guide lid for Christmas but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I've also got a fair assortment of pockets, pouches, and grab-its etc to accessorize the packs with mission specific items.

Not sure any of this helps but thought I'd throw it out there. Might drop a call to Aron at Kifaru. He's been really helpful talking thru some ideas and plans with me and my set ups. Good luck with your search.

Looking for something with the ability to do either. Sometimes its not a long drag, so that's easy. Sometimes not. used to hunt an area that was a steep hike down along a river. For that, dragging back up to the truck would suck. So a daypack around 1800 to 2200 is fine. Ability to strap a ground blind or tree stand maybe, but be small when not used in that capacity. I figure with the modular kifaru pack system, there are lots of options available, so looking to see what would work best for layout, bag choices, etc. So many options.

How much capacity will your gear require? Do you need to haul your deer out in the pack too, or do you drag out?

This question seems to come up all the time and most guys will tell you to get a big bag and be done with it. The big bags compress down to almost nothing and open up to carry more than you can probably handle.

I do everything with my DT1 with a longhunter lid from day trips to 10+ day backpack hunts and i've never wished I had a smaller pack, not even once!!

Here are the Kifaru packs I've owned:

T2
T3
Spike Camp
BT2
T1
Nomad (Bikini)
Emr2 (Bikini)
Mountain Warrior (Bikini). (On order)

For what it is worth, here's what I would do. Buy either an EMR2 or Mountain Warrior on a Bikini frame now. See if you like using it compressed for whitetail hunting. If you want something smaller, pick up a smaller bag later. I gotta believe we are going to see some new smaller bags coming from Kifaru in 2015.

Looking for something with the ability to do either. Sometimes its not a long drag, so that's easy. Sometimes not. used to hunt an area that was a steep hike down along a river. For that, dragging back up to the truck would suck. So a daypack around 1800 to 2200 is fine. Ability to strap a ground blind or tree stand maybe, but be small when not used in that capacity. I figure with the modular kifaru pack system, there are lots of options available, so looking to see what would work best for layout, bag choices, etc. So many options.
True, there are endless configurations available to do what you need to do. I think the Bikini is the frame you want, and I currently hang a Highcamp 4800 on mine and compress it for day hunts and it works well. It's a light, inexpensive way to start and tweak it from there.

As many options as Kifaru offers, there is still room for a really dialed in 2000 ci +/- day pack for the duplex/bikini frames for scouting and day hunting when huge loads aren't a possibility. I'm hoping for something cool in that category for 2015.

I like many have tried a bunch of various kifaru option, get the bikini and mw and go from there.

Last edited:
I am partial to duplex frames. Pick whatever bag fits your style of hunting and go! I like 1 big bag so I like long hunters and high camps

did some more searching today, and am kind of liking that xray for a small daypack. It has an option for a belt too...so that's a plus. from there, it could be added to a duplex or bikini frame. What I haven't seen yet, is this; can the xray be mounted on the duplex or bikini, and then if a deer or elk went down...can you carry the meat somehow against the pack frame, and still mount the xray to the outside of the meat? That's kind of what I have in mind. Same concept might work for days when carrying a blind in to a new area for a quick run and gun set up.

I used my Duplex/EMRII to hunt whitetails and pack out 2 of them this year. If you want the capability of packing a whole deer out in one shot, this combo is definitely a good one! With a Longhunter or Guide lid, you could probably carry most of the "essentials" up top, using the main bag for insulation layers or rain gear. I carry a heavier load than most while day hunting because of the long range set up, but I've also had it loaded pretty light and compressed for hikes. I like it a lot! I had a Bikini/DT2 before this and found the Duplex frame more comfortable than the Bikini. It's definitely more stable with stupid weight in it!

did some more searching today, and am kind of liking that xray for a small daypack. It has an option for a belt too...so that's a plus. from there, it could be added to a duplex or bikini frame. What I haven't seen yet, is this; can the xray be mounted on the duplex or bikini, and then if a deer or elk went down...can you carry the meat somehow against the pack frame, and still mount the xray to the outside of the meat? That's kind of what I have in mind. Same concept might work for days when carrying a blind in to a new area for a quick run and gun set up.
I've done a few videos showing how to attach packs like the Xray to the Duplex. You can find them on Kifarutube (on youtube).

I've done a few videos showing how to attach packs like the Xray to the Duplex. You can find them on Kifarutube (on youtube).

Yep, that's one that ive watched. I just couldn't tell if the meat could be attached and carried inward of the xray. Doing this would keep all the blood separate for the most part from the meat in my way of thinking.

When I carried elk quarters in the past, it was done on a cabelas external frame pack, and no gear. Strictly hauling meat. I have never tried to carry meat while also carrying the gear at the same time. with something like the EMR, how do you keep all the blood off the gear that is probably stored below the meat?

Oh, and Aron, I appreciate all the info your posting on here and youtube. There is definitely a great amount of info out there, and from what Ive seen, you provide a LOT of assistance to fellow Roksliders. I used to live in mountain home (AFB) ID , and hunted up around and north of Anderson Ranch Dam/resevior if you are familiar with that area at all. I sure do miss that area, and the bighorns of Wyoming was my other stomping grounds. Ground blind hunting in texas just isn't the same, and Im ready for a change of scenery!!

TAG bags inside a contractor bag, or put your gear inside the contractor bag. Either way will work. I also packed two bears with it this year. Bagged the meat on one and bagged the gear on the other. The pack bag cleans up relatively easy in a sink or tub.

Reactions: GMC
I currently am using a bikini frame and a Highcamp 4800 for whitetail. Easily fits a boned out deer with room to spare. I use various pockets as I see fit for organization.
Have used a T1 in the past with no issues. Still have it, it's just a bit big for whitetail for me.

If you're going to use the pack for whitetails, I think the Nomad or EMR2 would be great options. The Nomad on a Duplex frame is one of the best ways to carry odd loads like tree stands and ground blinds. In fact imo it is the most versatile setup you can get. Throw a back pouch and a lid on it and it makes an awesome, versatile day pack and hauler.

IMG_00521_zps463c0c5f.jpg

id like to have something I can use without the duplex frame, as a separate day pack, and then strap connect to the Duplex frame when needed. For day hunts here in texas,, I don't need to carry too much because we are never that far from the truck. Just need things on me like extra cloths, binos some food, water, knife, raingear calls etc. My thought is that same pack could then be added to a frame for shed hunting, day outings etc. Then a bigger bag for the western backpack hunts where maybe the smaller bag would work with the bigger bag as a set to get to camp, and then the smaller bag goes back to the day hunter.

From a cost aspect, maybe the EMR2 is the way to go as a one pack fits most situation. But its too big for what im looking for in a day to day pack. I already have a eberlestock blue widow, and even that is too big for what Im trying to describe. I sure like all the options of the kifaru line, so Ill be doing research for a while. My thoughts were I coud get the small bag, and then work towards getting the frame and add ons to the bag later.

The zippy and e & e bags look ok, but lack waist belts if my research is correct so far.

Last edited:
Yep, that's one that ive watched. I just couldn't tell if the meat could be attached and carried inward of the xray. Doing this would keep all the blood separate for the most part from the meat in my way of thinking.

When I carried elk quarters in the past, it was done on a cabelas external frame pack, and no gear. Strictly hauling meat. I have never tried to carry meat while also carrying the gear at the same time. with something like the EMR, how do you keep all the blood off the gear that is probably stored below the meat?

Oh, and Aron, I appreciate all the info your posting on here and youtube. There is definitely a great amount of info out there, and from what Ive seen, you provide a LOT of assistance to fellow Roksliders. I used to live in mountain home (AFB) ID , and hunted up around and north of Anderson Ranch Dam/resevior if you are familiar with that area at all. I sure do miss that area, and the bighorns of Wyoming was my other stomping grounds. Ground blind hunting in texas just isn't the same, and Im ready for a change of scenery!!

I've always put the meat inside the pack. TAGs/meat bag inside a XL dry bag (I use KUIU) or contractor trash bag. If room is an issue, I will strap some of my gear to the outside of the pack using long pockets, pouches, strap kits, etc. I have yet to use the "wedge" method though many guys do. Usually, my pack is big enough to handle the works.

Back