Kifaru Slick sleeping bag alternatives

Odd1out

FNG
I'm looking for a lighter weight alternative from my kifaru slick bag. I like the room and center zip. Its a regular wide, I need the extra width for my shoulders. I know I will need to go to down. Any ideas or suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

OP
O

Odd1out

FNG
Anyone have experience with a feathered friends flicker quilt sleeping bag?

OP
O

Odd1out

FNG
Can the thread be moved to the sleep system? If not just delete it

Schism

WKR
I think you'll find that around here, Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends and Stone Glacier receive most of the accolades for sleeping bags. Depending on your size and temp needs there should be multiple options. Let us know your requirements and you may receive additional suggestions.

OP
O

Odd1out

FNG
You want a sleeping bag or a quilt? I had a Slik bag and went to Feathered Friends, no regrets.
I'd like to try a quilt but probably stick with a bag. I know they work for me. That's why the Flicker is a has me interested. Kinda best of both worlds. Plus it center zip and wide

Flicker has no hood, instant non starter for me unless it isn't very cold. I've got an Ibis 0 and a Swift 20 that covers everything I need to do.

OP
O

Odd1out

FNG
I think you'll find that around here, Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends and Stone Glacier receive most of the accolades for sleeping bags. Depending on your size and temp needs there should be multiple options. Let us know your requirements and you may receive additional suggestions.
Down for lighter weight, regular length but extra wide( stoneglacier bag isn't wide enough for me) I'd like a center zip but not a deal breaker and hood is preferred. If there's something else you need to know let me know

Schism

WKR
Have you looked at the Western Mountaineering semi-rectangular bags? I had a sequoia and ultimately sold it cause it was too big for me. Maybe they would be a better fit for you.

OP
O

Odd1out

FNG
Have you looked at the Western Mountaineering semi-rectangular bags? I had a sequoia and ultimately sold it cause it was too big for me. Maybe they would be a better fit for you.
Thx I will look into them

I have bigger shoulders. 50 inches. I am also 6’3” so tend to need a long bag. Side sleeper FWIW. A few thoughts:

- in commercial bags I have had luck with big Agnes and Nemo, with the Nemo being snug in the shoulders And lots of leg room.
- Kifaru slick bag works. Bombproof. Weight is what it is. I would prefer a full length zipper so I could use as a quilt.
- I have an Enlighted Equipment convert apex (no hood) in x long and x wide And it works. Plus has the option to be a quilt. It is bulky but not as heavy as the slick bag.
- I bought a Sitka sleeping bag to try out. Oddly the shoulders work. I don’t have enough nights in it to really say for sure, but I like it.
- WM is awesome. I used a Badger and a Sequoia. Plenty of shoulder room in each with a preference for the fit of the sequoia But they are different temp ranges.

geriggs

WKR
I’m 6’2” 53-54 shoulders. WM terralite with extension was the best of both worlds for me. I never really challenged it temp wise….maybe 30s. Was great. Can use as bag or quilt.

Last year I tried the zen bivy 10deg lite bed long/wide with fitted sheet and it really was the best system I have used. A little more weight than WM…..but I don’t regret it. Pillow stayed in place, never got cold (20s). Even got condensation on the bag. No issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
O

Odd1out

FNG
I’m 6’2” 53-54 shoulders. WM terralite with extension was the best of both worlds for me. I never really challenged it temp wise….maybe 30s. Was great. Can use as bag or quilt.

Last year I tried the zen bivy 10deg lite bed long/wide with fitted sheet and it really was the best system I have used. A little more weight than WM…..but I don’t regret it. Pillow stayed in place, never got cold (20s). Even got condensation on the bag. No issues

Zen bivy was another thought i had, but i think it will be as bulky as my slick bag in the end, so I'm not gaining. You have a pic of it compressed down in a dry sac?

geriggs

WKR
Sorry man I don’t. It might be as bulky but being 800 fil down or 850…….i would think it might compress a little more.

OP
O

Odd1out

FNG
Sorry man I don’t. It might be as bulky but being 800 fil down or 850…….i would think it might compress a little more.

Well a light bed 10 is pound lighter then my slick. Definitely will compress more

Ozzy841

Lil-Rokslider
I’m 6’2” and 200+ and a side sleeper. Picked up a western mountaineering bag this year and couldn’t be happier. Expensive but well worth the money in my opinion. Very well made and great warmth to weight ratio.

I'd like to try a quilt but probably stick with a bag. I know they work for me. That's why the Flicker is a has me interested. Kinda best of both worlds. Plus it center zip and wide

I run a Zenbivy Light 10 and 30 degree system and could not be happier. So much room to move around in the Large Wide on a 25"x78" rectangular insulated pad. The degree ratings are very conservative too as I've been comfortable at -5f in in the 10 degree set up.