Kifaru Steelhead Chest Rig Review, By Jake Lamphier

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Lnyx.jpg

The Kifaru Steelhead works for more than just flyfishing. @lamp_ak has been using one for everything from ice fishing to running his trap line. Check out his review to see if you may want to add it to your gear list.

Kifaru Steelhead Chest Rig Review

Jmort1754

WKR
I don't fly fish either. However I think that this will be a perfect pack to use when kayaking for trout and bass with the spinning gear

lamp_ak

FNG
How do you attach your pliers to the pack ? What pliers do you have
I don’t attach them. I like to have them free and makes less of an entanglement issue. They are just cheap “chinesium” pliers, lineman style put more compact. Buy them at a local hardware store.

Kulshan

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t ran the steelhead to much but I did have it on a 3 day Spey trip. I was worried it would get in the way of casting but it didn’t, I like having flys in the front and leaders, sink tips in the closest to the chest pocket. Scissors in the soft pouch in the front and forceps on one of the small pole straps.

I’ll have more time with it this spring as the rivers up here are closed for the rest of steelhead season.

lamp_ak

FNG
I haven’t ran the steelhead to much but I did have it on a 3 day Spey trip. I was worried it would get in the way of casting but it didn’t, I like having flys in the front and leaders, sink tips in the closest to the chest pocket. Scissors in the soft pouch in the front and forceps on one of the small pole straps.

I’ll have more time with it this spring as the rivers up here are closed for the rest of steelhead season.
I had the same experience. It’s firm fitting and doesn’t seem to get in the way of anything I was trying to do while wearing it.

I’m debating on getting this pack for both summer and winter steelhead fishing, the only reason I’m conflicted a little is I currently wear a mystery ranch pop up 18 for the task, and it gets tight at times, but I think I can streamline things and still have everything I need, just not an extra hundred of each thing, haha… would be handy to have everything right there easy access

lamp_ak

FNG
I’m debating on getting this pack for both summer and winter steelhead fishing, the only reason I’m conflicted a little is I currently wear a mystery ranch pop up 18 for the task, and it gets tight at times, but I think I can streamline things and still have everything I need, just not an extra hundred of each thing, haha… would be handy to have everything right there easy access
I found this rig to have a lot of storage capacity. Gun, inreach, tools, snacks, plus other stuff all fit well and did not impede the zipper. I could cram a lot more junk in there I wanted too!