Kifaru Urban Ruck 2.0 vs T3 Urban Ruck

loco99

FNG
Looking to get an EDC backpack and like the clip opening tops. Does anyone have experience with these two backpacks and which one is built better?

bozeman

WKR
Ive used my Kifaru Urban Ruck 2 for several months now and it has been spot on for what I was looking for.......laptop, jacket, water bottle.....planes, trains and automobiles....it has been just about right.

SWOHTR

WKR
I’ve always wanted one but couldn’t justify. The Checkpoint is what I have and another great option.

OP
L

loco99

FNG
I ended up ordering the kifaru urban ruck that's on closeout. I'll post an update on how I like it once it arrives.

OP
L

loco99

FNG
So I ended up getting the urban ruck 2.0 with an organizer slider and slapped a sherman pocket on it too. So far I've used this pack for EDC and traveling. Overall I really like the pack and think it's worth the money if you're a fan of top loading bags. The biggest downside to this bag to me is that once the bag is full you have to dig through the top to get to the bottom. If you're great at packing this isn't a problem, especially with all the smaller pockets on the bag, or if you're like me and add a sherman pocket to it. The bag is fairly narrow widthwize in the main conpartment, too. Its not like it was designed to carry a lot and it keeps the bag closer to you, but keep that in mind if youre trying to put bulky items in it. I like the cobra style buckle of the lid and the bad itself feels bomb proof. I haven't done anything crazy with the bag yet but it definitely feels like it is built well.

The Good:
-Shoulder straps are plenty cushioned
-Organizer slider gives enough rigidity while providing a place for a small laptop and pens
-Plenty of pockets on this pack
-Has the ability to expand because on the snow collar and top load buckle
- Sherman Pocket compatable
- Open pocket on the back is perfect for a canteen or items that need quick access

The Bad:
- Once the pack is fully packed it is hard to access anything in the bottom due to it being a top load bag.
- The bottle pouches are definitely designed with fatter Nalgenes in mind and I've had plastic water bottles fall out. It would have been nice to have some type of cinch cord or strap instead of sewn in elastic.

Nuetral:
- The organizer slider adds plenty of stiffness, but keep in mind that it's pretty much a plastic sheet so it still has give to it and will flex.
-Adding a sherman pocket to it does cover the back pockets of the bag, but it is a minor inconvenience to be able to carry more.
- The main compartment is pretty narrow widthwize.

OP
L

loco99

FNG
Banana for scale

Attachments

• 20240330_211531.jpg
    20240330_211531.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240330_211518.jpg
    20240330_211518.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240330_211509.jpg
    20240330_211509.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240330_211445.jpg
    20240330_211445.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240330_211403.jpg
    20240330_211403.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240330_211311.jpg
    20240330_211311.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 8

Bender

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Morning @loco99 ,
Glad to see you are digging the Urban Ruck. You're right on, the side pockets were made to Nalgene specs as I figured it was probably the most widely used bottle with our customers. The problem with sewing in bungie is it can shred at the anchor point which means I would need to leave access so you can tie on a new bungie if it fails. Harder to do with Tweave (the stretchy fabric because it can fray if left exposed) and would have increased cost. Haven't had the 1" elastic / Tweave combo fail yet so it's the go-to for now. The elastic and Tweave both support each other and keep one of them from extending too far and ripping out or "bacon-ing" the elastic from over stretching. There might be some adjustable water bottle pocket designs in the future however. Thanks for your business and let me know if you have any questions or feedback.

So I ended up getting the urban ruck 2.0 with an organizer slider and slapped a sherman pocket on it too. So far I've used this pack for EDC and traveling. Overall I really like the pack and think it's worth the money if you're a fan of top loading bags. The biggest downside to this bag to me is that once the bag is full you have to dig through the top to get to the bottom. If you're great at packing this isn't a problem, especially with all the smaller pockets on the bag, or if you're like me and add a sherman pocket to it. The bag is fairly narrow widthwize in the main conpartment, too. Its not like it was designed to carry a lot and it keeps the bag closer to you, but keep that in mind if youre trying to put bulky items in it. I like the cobra style buckle of the lid and the bad itself feels bomb proof. I haven't done anything crazy with the bag yet but it definitely feels like it is built well.

The Good:
-Shoulder straps are plenty cushioned
-Organizer slider gives enough rigidity while providing a place for a small laptop and pens
-Plenty of pockets on this pack
-Has the ability to expand because on the snow collar and top load buckle
- Sherman Pocket compatable
- Open pocket on the back is perfect for a canteen or items that need quick access

The Bad:
- Once the pack is fully packed it is hard to access anything in the bottom due to it being a top load bag.
- The bottle pouches are definitely designed with fatter Nalgenes in mind and I've had plastic water bottles fall out. It would have been nice to have some type of cinch cord or strap instead of sewn in elastic.

Nuetral:
- The organizer slider adds plenty of stiffness, but keep in mind that it's pretty much a plastic sheet so it still has give to it and will flex.
-Adding a sherman pocket to it does cover the back pockets of the bag, but it is a minor inconvenience to be able to carry more.
- The main compartment is pretty narrow widthwize.

Ive had mine a year or more, and have used it more than I expected. The only thing I wanted to change was that theres no side compression straps to keep taller items (tripod, arrows, trekking poles) in the side pockets. I ended up sewing some straps onto mine and it fixed the issue. If its a mod anyone else is interested in doing, I used 1" webbing and buckles, hindsight I wouldve used 3/4" webbing and buckles. The 1" webbing/buckles are just overkill for that purpose.

Attachments

• IMG_3900.jpeg
    IMG_3900.jpeg
    428.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited: