Kifaru Woodsman zipper question

the zipper on the woodsman doesn't go all the way to the top of the snow collar... i have never had a pack with a zipper in front. what are the advantages or disadvantages of having the zipper go all the way to the top of the snow collar like the reckoning pack that splays wide open and the zipper not opening all the way to the top like the woodsman? i know access is important but are there any other reasons to want the zipper one way or the other? i am considering getting a woodsman but i can't get around thinking about the zipper advantage of going to the top... any ideas? thanks

the zipper on the woodsman doesn't go all the way to the top of the snow collar... i have never had a pack with a zipper in front. what are the advantages or disadvantages of having the zipper go all the way to the top of the snow collar like the reckoning pack that splays wide open and the zipper not opening all the way to the top like the woodsman? i know access is important but are there any other reasons to want the zipper one way or the other? i am considering getting a woodsman but i can't get around thinking about the zipper advantage of going to the top... any ideas? thanks

It's for when you have the bag in "day pack" mode with the top rolled and lid cinched down.... you can still access the zipper. If you had the zipper go all the way to the top, you would have to undo the snow collar flap/lid to access the zipper.

Aron talks about this very reason on the youtube video he released.

I actually prefer it not going all the way to the top because the bag will maintain some structure while you are packing it that way. It makes it easier to load a bunch of meat in your pack or a hide if it does, but as far as general use backpacking I actually prefer something like a horseshoe zip so that you can pack it while the bag holds your stuff in place a bit.

I noticed the woodsman and the reckoning both have and exposed zipper unlike the EMR with the extra material along the sides to keep moisture out. Anyone think that could be a problem? It doesn't look to be a waterproof zipper.

I always line my packs with a garbage bag or put stuff in dry bags if I don't want it to get wet. So, for me it's not even a thought let alone a problem.

I initially was confused by the zipper as well but I like it now because I whitetail hunt and never push the pack to capacity but I like how the zipper is I don't have to unzip all the way if I know where something is in my pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back