Kifarwho 41 Mag - A Stretched 357 Mag

Just another DIY Kifarwho project, as coined by @WoodBow .

I'll keep this writeup as short as I can. I found myself in need of a new pack with my move back west this year, a much welcome change after spending too much time away from home working on the east coast. I had made a copy of the Kifaru Stryker and Duplex frame (I think I posted it here somewhere), but found it was really too small for the gear I found myself using a lot this year. The weight moves away from your back quickly when you fill up the Stryker cargo sling, and strapping down a bunch of stuff gets old quickly.

So, I decided I really wanted something like the Kifaru 357 Mag so I didn't have to mess with a separate frame and bag, and could enjoy better pack organization. Since I have a pile of industrial sewing machines, I wanted to make something myself, but free time is short, and I didn't have the time I would like to spend prototyping out a pack based on pictures. Admittedly, that large lid pocket confounded me a lot too (it's really an ingenious design and seems to soak up stacked tolerances nicely). With all that said, I did what any crazy person in my situation would do--buy a pack to tear apart, learn from it, and create my own customized pack....

There are two things you can take away from this post based on my experience:
  1. Kifaru packs are probably 100% worth the money spent for the overwhelming majority of people who want to own one, and the folks designing gear there have some great minds for 3D design. Most seams are triple stitched (so many seams to rip) and the gear is clearly built to last.
  2. If you're DIY inclined, you should rip up your expensive backpack to learn from it.
Initially I wanted to make a 26" frame, but backed out and made a 24" framed bag after it seemed like all the other similar packs were 24". Maybe the designers at Kifaru knew something I didn't and it wasn't going to work well. Of course, afterwards I discovered the Kutthroat had a 26" frame, so I dove back in, and whipped up a pair of 26" bags. One as a gift for a friend, and one for myself.

Here's the one for myself. Still using the Kifaru belt and straps because I haven't had the time to make another set, and I still need to bend the aluminum stays seen here. This pack is mostly constructed with webbing from JonTay and surplus stuff on eBay, eBay 500D Cordura, and this dayglow blaze orange 400D packcloth from Rocky Woods. Losing items in a dark pack sucks.

Edit: Oh, yeah, the stretchy front pocket is made from some light beige Tweave I found on eBay a while back and dyed with some Sandstone Rit dye for synthetics.

I hope you all enjoy this and some other folks find it in themselves to tackle a project that thing is crazy at first.

357-1.png

257-2.png

357-3.png

357-4.png

357_5.png

357_6.png

357_7.png

I'll keep this writeup as short as I can. I found myself in need of a new pack with my move back west this year, a much welcome change after spending too much time away from home working on the east coast. I had made a copy of the Kifaru Stryker and Duplex frame (I think I posted it here somewhere), but found it was really too small for the gear I found myself using a lot this year. The weight moves away from your back quickly when you fill up the Stryker cargo sling, and strapping down a bunch of stuff gets old quickly.

So, I decided I really wanted something like the Kifaru 357 Mag so I didn't have to mess with a separate frame and bag, and could enjoy better pack organization. Since I have a pile of industrial sewing machines, I wanted to make something myself, but free time is short, and I didn't have the time I would like to spend prototyping out a pack based on pictures. Admittedly, that large lid pocket confounded me a lot too (it's really an ingenious design and seems to soak up stacked tolerances nicely). With all that said, I did what any crazy person in my situation would do--buy a pack to tear apart, learn from it, and create my own customized pack....

1. Kifaru packs are probably 100% worth the money spent for the overwhelming majority of people who want to own one, and the folks designing gear there have some great minds for 3D design. Most seams are triple stitched (so many seams to rip) and the gear is clearly built to last.
  2. If you're DIY inclined, you should rip up your expensive backpack to learn from it.
Initially I wanted to make a 26" frame, but backed out and made a 24" framed bag after it seemed like all the other similar packs were 24". Maybe the designers at Kifaru knew something I didn't and it wasn't going to work well. Of course, afterwards I discovered the Kutthroat had a 26" frame, so I dove back in, and whipped up a pair of 26" bags. One as a gift for a friend, and one for myself.

Here's the one for myself. Still using the Kifaru belt and straps because I haven't had the time to make another set, and I still need to bend the aluminum stays seen here. This pack is mostly constructed with webbing from JonTay and surplus stuff on eBay, eBay 500D Cordura, and this dayglow blaze orange 400D packcloth from Rocky Woods. Losing items in a dark pack sucks.

Edit: Oh, yeah, the stretchy front pocket is made from some light beige Tweave I found on eBay a while back and dyed with some Sandstone Rit dye for synthetics.

I hope you all enjoy this and some other folks find it in themselves to tackle a project that thing is crazy at first.

View attachment 503517

View attachment 503518

View attachment 503519

View attachment 503520

View attachment 503521

View attachment 503522

View attachment 503523
Nice work

t_carlson

WKR
Can Ford sue for adding a lift kit, new rims and Tires, and new paint job? He bought the pack and altered it, he’s not manufacturing them.

I read it as, he bought a Kifaru bag, reverse-engineered it, and then made one for himself and one for his buddy.

Maybe I misunderstood.
Maybe the designers at Kifaru knew something I didn't and it wasn't going to work well. Of course, afterwards I discovered the Kutthroat had a 26" frame, so I dove back in, and whipped up a pair of 26" bags. One as a gift for a friend, and one for myself.

wnelson14

WKR
I read it as, he bought a Kifaru bag, reverse-engineered it, and then made one for himself and one for his buddy.

Maybe I misunderstood.
Yes you’re correct, but he’s not selling them he made a bag he wanted based off a 357. I highly doubt Kifaru has a patent on each bag design, and they aren’t coming after him for anything, plus every manufacture rips off something from others. Do you think stone glacier is going after EXO for making a spotting scope pocket on their bags or vice versa.
Now if the OP started a company making Kifarwho bags that would be a different story,
Lol

t_carlson

WKR
Yes you’re correct, but he’s not selling them he made a bag he wanted based off a 357. I highly doubt Kifaru has a patent on each bag design, and they aren’t coming after him for anything, plus every manufacture rips off something from others. Do you think stone glacier is going after EXO for making a spotting scope pocket on their bags or vice versa.
Now if the OP started a company making Kifarwho bags that would be a different story,
Lol

Ok. So go back and read my original post. I asked him, the guy who made the bag, if he is worried about getting sued.

No where in there did I ask for your opinion on any of the stuff you just spewed up in that post.

Thank you.

wnelson14

WKR
Ok. So go back and read my original post. I asked him, the guy who made the bag, if he is worried about getting sued.

No where in there did I ask for your opinion on any of the stuff you just spewed up in that post.

Thank you.
You’re on an open form, where thousands can read and respond to each other, send him a PM if you want a private conversation.

t_carlson

WKR
You’re on an open form, where thousands can read and respond to each other, send him a PM if you want a private conversation.
I would have sent him a pm if I had wanted a private conversation. That wasn’t my intent.

He made a thread, on an open forum, where thousands can read and respond to each other, about the pack(s) he made.

I asked a simple question because it came to my mind. Now, honestly, if I had some sewing equipment, I’d probably start messing around and make some packs for my friends too. I don’t fault him for that really.

However, I wouldn’t be quite so bold as to post it on the internet, because I, personally, would be worried about getting sued. So, I was genuinely curious when I read the thread if that is something he is worried about.

OP
I would have sent him a pm if I had wanted a private conversation. That wasn’t my intent.

He made a thread, on an open forum, where thousands can read and respond to each other, about the pack(s) he made.

I asked a simple question because it came to my mind. Now, honestly, if I had some sewing equipment, I’d probably start messing around and make some packs for my friends too. I don’t fault him for that really.

However, I wouldn’t be quite so bold as to post it on the internet, because I, personally, would be worried about getting sued. So, I was genuinely curious when I read the thread if that is something he is worried about.
No worries, I appreciate the curiosity. I also chose not to share a bunch of work in progress pictures since I didn't want to give the impression that I was open-sourcing a proprietary design that I had copied directly from the source.

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider

View attachment 503517

View attachment 503518

View attachment 503519

View attachment 503520

View attachment 503521

View attachment 503522

View attachment 503523
That is some clean work! You have skill!

I don't blame you for not having the time to prototype a backpack. I recently started and just finished my second prototype. Not only does it take a lot of time first on paper, but also throughout sewing it together. Because it may look great on paper but then there's the real world!

Not to mention backpacks take a lot more material, it seems that no one distributor has all the materials you need so your buying stuff from 5 different places and they charge a lot for shipping. That all adds up.

But it sure is a lot of fun when your hard work pays off. I hope you do get to prototype a pack soon as you got talent!

OP
That is some clean work! You have skill!

I don't blame you for not having the time to prototype a backpack. I recently started and just finished my second prototype. Not only does it take a lot of time first on paper, but also throughout sewing it together. Because it may look great on paper but then there's the real world!

Not to mention backpacks take a lot more material, it seems that no one distributor has all the materials you need so your buying stuff from 5 different places and they charge a lot for shipping. That all adds up.

But it sure is a lot of fun when your hard work pays off. I hope you do get to prototype a pack soon as you got talent!
Thank you! I learned quite a bit about good bag construction from this undertaking.

I think the key to prototyping with any level of efficiency is using CAD, but it seems like the cheap or free software isn't intuitive or that great to use, and the good stuff is easier to use but really expensive. I tried CLO 3D for a bit, but it wasn't clicking for me. Seemed like a cool program with great potential though.

You're absolutely right about sourcing materials. I try to order whatever I can afford to in bulk quantities so that if something is unavailable or discontinued, I have it available, and to help make all those shipping costs seem smaller :ROFLMAO: I also watch for big sales where I can pick up fabric dirt cheap for random projects or prototyping (that Federal Brown 400D pack cloth seen on the chamber pocket was $2/yard).

WoodBow

WKR
Phenomenal job my friend. Still can't believe you bought a new bag to tear apart and pattern off of! But you nailed it.

OP
Phenomenal job my friend. Still can't believe you bought a new bag to tear apart and pattern off of! But you nailed it.
Much appreciated. I would have never thought it in the realm of possible had I not encountered your posts a few years back, so I've you to thank for the sickness! Seriously, thanks for all the projects you've shared here.

Idk but im pretty sure they shut down Jimmy tarps.
Aron mentioned something on the podcast about going after someone copying shelters. And bam within a month no more Jimmy

OP
Idk but im pretty sure they shut down Jimmy tarps.
Aron mentioned something on the podcast about going after someone copying shelters. And bam within a month no more Jimmy
These would be way too much work to reproduce (see my comments about build quality). With all of the pieces one needs to cut out, a person would need a webbing cutter and fabric cutting machine (badass tools) and build in bulk to make it worthwhile.

Considering the required effort and efficiencies of production, plus all American sourcing, I'd imagine, and I could be completely wrong, that Kifaru makes their best profit margins on tarps + tents and all of those accessory pockets and accessory bags.