Kill marks on a rifle?

Loper

WKR
Anyone put any talley or kill marks on their rifles? If so where on the stock have you put them? Would love to see some examples.

Bcleck90

WKR
Michael Waddell is the only person I’ve seen (on tv) number kills on a gun but I’m sure others have. I don’t get the point but to each their own..what rifle you shooting?

OP
L

Loper

WKR
I don’t have any plans to add any notches for two reasons. One, it devalues a gun if you ever want to resell it, and B, I haven’t put down enough game for it to resemble kill marks. Someone would probably just mistake it for a few scratch’s, haha.

I was just curious if anyone did this on their hunting rifles, as I’ve heard of people getting old military surplus rifles and they have notches on the sticks.

I do not, nor do I plan to, but it would certainly not be permanent if I did. Paint or regular marker on polymer or something. Plans change, things never intended to be sold end up going down the road.

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Get a sharpie, save your brass after shooting an animal. Then write the species, year, unit and whatever other info you want and keep them somewhere. That way you have your “tally” if you want and some memories without marking up your nice rifle. Just a suggestion and my two cents.

ChrisAU

WKR
I do wish I had kept better records. Not by marking the stock, but just a record of date, yardage, equipment. My Cooper 280AI I got in the summer of 2018 has an elk, Antelope, coyote, hog, and here’s where it gets squirrelly - maybe 3 dozen whitetails? The count gets lost fast.

Wrench

WKR
You'll have more guys throw their rifle on the ground and shoot it than put a tally mark on it.

My tally markes are on a magnet on the freezer until the meat is consumed.

If you give your weapon kill marks, make sure you don't ever use it for self defense in a blue state. The "Progressive" District Attorneys would try to misconstrue a grand jury.
Think it’s safe to put them in the barrel channel?

MeatMissile, the best solution is to not be an idiot like me, since I not only live in California, but I'm in the liberal stronghold of the San Francisco Bay Area. Pretty sure you can mark your weapon anywhere you want as long as you live in a red state

I live an hour south of Seattle, so.......

FLATHEAD

WKR
I have a few on an old Savage pump shotgun from waaay back.
Deer on the pistol grip, Turkeys on the pump fore end. I think.