Kimber Ascent Fluting

Thinking of picking up an Ascent. I’m wondering if the fluting on the lightweight Mountain Ascent is functional or is it merely cosmetic? I really like the looks of it just wondering about function. Seems that in a barrel profile that lite the flutes would be minimally effective. I know it’s personal opinion but I think they look good.

Kicking myself for trading out of the Montana I picked up here a couple years ago in the classifieds. Wanting to get another Kimber to replace that one.

pbroski

FNG
The bolt and bolt handle on the Ascent are also fluted. I'm sure all the fluting cuts down on some weight, so that's an advantage.

I fully agree that the Ascent looks good. I have 1 Hunter, 2 Montana's, 2 Adirondacks and 1 Ascent. Out of all of them, I think the Ascent is the best looking, followed by the Adirondacks.

Last edited:
OP
Bezamaelee
Thanks, PB. That’s helpful because I have no way to compare. Is that Ascent a camo pattern stock with stainless barrelled action? Or, is it the newer model with the (I’m assuming Kimpro) dark nitride type finish?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Is the fluting functional? The mountain ascents are made to be as light as they can be so any material removed would have the function of reducing weight right?