Kimber Talkeetna

hodgeman

Sorry ahead of time but I can't help myself ... Why not get a Tikka Superlight in 30.06, send it to J.E.S. to have him make a 338-06 or 35 Whelen, cut the barrel to whatever length you fancy and "have your cake and eat it too" - inside of 300 yards you wouldn't be giving up much delivered energy ...... ( I'd choose the AI in either, not because of performance but to make brass a bit easier to work with)

As good as the 338-06 and 35 Whelen are....they are certainly not in the same class as the .375. In most loads the .375 is going to carry 25% more energy and has more frontal area.

In N. America you're unlikely to need such a cannon- but after shooting several critters with both .338WM and the .375...the .375 is certainly a more dramatic killer.

GKPrice

Banned
As good as the 338-06 and 35 Whelen are....they are certainly not in the same class as the .375. In most loads the .375 is going to carry 25% more energy and has more frontal area.

In N. America you're unlikely to need such a cannon- but after shooting several critters with both .338WM and the .375...the .375 is certainly a more dramatic killer.

I know - it was the "lightweight" part that I couldn't leave alone ....

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

Let me address the last few posts point by point.

I am just using th term "light weight" loosely, I am well aware the Talkeetna isn't a mountain rifle. I think the kimber is a bit lighter than my weatherby but again I mostly want it just because it's nicer and stainless. I just moved to the Alaska peninsula so I want something weahrproof as possible.

As for my weatherby, I'm not selling it because it isn't worth enough to bother with I think it was 600 bucks new, it's very accurate and it's nice, I just want something nicer. As for the stock, it's in a standard vanguard plastic stock which I've always thought were nicer than most factor plastic stocks but they are heavy.

Bell and Carlson makes one specifically for this rifle but you can only get it through weatherby (no big deal) it's the same stock as on their "dangerous game" model which is the same gun as I have but with a better stock and a different rear sight.

As for building a 338-06 or a 35 Whalen, I'd probably just buy a 35 Whalen if I was going that route, I already have a montana 308, mountain ascent 270 and a legendary arms works professional in 300wm, this gun isn't meant to be light weight, sonid just buy a montana rifle co or a nosler outfitter if I was going 35 Whalen.

Also, big thing here, I'm not really trying to add a caliber right now because I'm actually in the bush. I'm not on the road system so I'm trying to keep it simple. I like the 375HH because it's worked great on moose for me in the past but I get a bit of confidence when it comes to bear protection too because the bears here are big and I usually hunt alone.

Sodbuster

Newmexican

Also, big thing here, I'm not really trying to add a caliber right now because I'm actually in the bush. I'm not on the road system so I'm trying to keep it simple. I like the 375HH because it's worked great on moose for me in the past but I get a bit of confidence when it comes to bear protection too because the bears here are big and I usually hunt alone.

Agreed.Where we Moose hunt,Black Bears are ever present and Griz tracks appear once in awhile.
If there is an attempted hostile takeover on a pile of Moose meat a 375 H&H is about perfect for an equalizer.

GKPrice

Banned
Here ya go...shows my 21" barrel Talkeetna with QD rings and a 8400 ti bolt handle for style points.

Ignore the machine in the back. It can't be the first time you've seen a 140 hp 2 up seat machine with dual gun boots ;)

Hey Luke - are those QD rings on the kicker ?

luke moffat

Administrator
Yeah Warne QD rings to keep it simple. Sorry been out snowmaching, working in a buddy's cabin, and caribou hunting this weekend with some friends. Just saw this and wasn't able to reply till now due fingers being too greasy from eating campfire roasted 'bou ribs.

Sodbuster

270 grain TSX will knock a Moose right over.

Marbles

Anyone have any new insights, thoughts, or experiences with the Talkeetna?

Conversely, anyone know of a stainless, CRF action alternative? Or a stainless, CRF offered in .416 Rigby? I wonder at what size the strength of CroMoly is needed.

forealboreal

I ended up getting one and had my smith do a few mods.

Chopped to 22” balanced it out
NECG larger front bead
Proper full bedding job.
Some cosmetics.

I’ve only shot 250gr TTSX hand loads out of it with iron sights using the OBT method and verifying timing nodes with the Labradar.

Magazine is set up for book length and has a fairly long throat so there is a bit of pressure loss. I could only fit so much RL17 in the case.

2667fps is what I got out of it at 104.4% case capacity.

forealboreal

I’ll say that those have better iron sights in comparison to the two.

If you run a scope expect dented case necks, magazine will dent shoulders and the ejection does not even compare to the true CRF M70.
I’ve had multiple 85s and got rid of both of my Kodiaks in favour of the Talkeetna. JMHO

Marbles

You might also take a look at the Sako "Bear" series....
I’ll say that those have better iron sights in comparison to the two.

If you run a scope expect dented case necks, magazine will dent shoulders and the ejection does not even compare to the true CRF M70.
I’ve had multiple 85s and got rid of both of my Kodiaks in favour of the Talkeetna. JMHO

The Sako Kodiaks have inspired lust as they are good looking guns and they are one of the few stainless medium bores. However, having owned a Sako 85 in 30-06 and replaced it with a Kimber Montana in 30-06 I'm not inclined to try another 85 any time soon.

Edit: changed "big bores" to "medium bores."

Last edited:
OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

I forgot about this thread, I did end up getting a talkeetna but sold it recently to pay for a Winchester 70 stainless classic I found. I preferred the m70 over the talkeetna and really, I only had a talkeetna because it was the closest thing I could find to a m70 stainless classic.

Marbles

I forgot about this thread, I did end up getting a talkeetna but sold it recently to pay for a Winchester 70 stainless classic I found. I preferred the m70 over the talkeetna and really, I only had a talkeetna because it was the closest thing I could find to a m70 stainless classic.

How does the stainless classic compare to the Talkeetna in weight, smoothness of the action, and balance?

Last edited:
OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

How does the stainless classic compare to the Tslkeetna in weight, smoothness of the action, and ballance?

The m70 is slightly front heavy but not bad really, the action is much smoother on the m70 and the weight is similar, I havn't weighed the m70 yet, I was looking for one for a few years and finally found a new unfired one.

AK Troutbum

My factory m70 SC 375H&H weighs 8 lbs 4 oz. The listed wt. of the Talkeetna is 7 lbs. 12 oz. All up with steel Warne QD’s, VX-3 2.5-8x36, and Butler Creek caps, I’m just under 9 lbs 8 oz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Wapiti1

Anyone have any new insights, thoughts, or experiences with the Talkeetna?

Conversely, anyone know of a stainless, CRF action alternative? Or a stainless, CRF offered in .416 Rigby? I wonder at what size the strength of CroMoly is needed.
I built a .505 Gibbs on a stainless action for a fellow that wanted a stopping rifle. It isn't the steel, it's the size of the action. A skilled gunsmith can fit the .416 Rigby in an M70 without a lot of fuss. Stainless or CrMo. The easiest is to get a stainless RUM M70 and convert to .404 Jeffery. Very little machine work has to be done for that. Almost a simple rebarrel job save making some follower and mag box mods.

The problem you run into is that there is no market for stainless big bores for the most part. .375's work wonderfully in Alaska, and the .416 Ruger in the stainless Hawkeye is close to perfect.

Jeremy

forealboreal

7.5lbs is what mine rings up on the scale with irons. I swapped the alu trigger guard for a stainless one. Also chopped to 22" to balance it out.

I concidered a M70 SC but the price of them used when the did come up it did not make sense for what I concider to be less of a gun. For the same cost I could get a carbon and kevlar stock. Was a no brainier at least for me.

AK Troutbum

I concidered a M70 SC but the price of them used when the did come up it did not make sense for what I concider to be less of a gun. For the same cost I could get a carbon and kevlar stock. Was a no brainier at least for me.
I bought mine for $652 at Kmart back in ‘03, when they were going out of business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

forealboreal

Not a common gun to find north of the 48 on the used market for both of them. Not to mention our dollar isn’t as strong 🤷🏻‍♂️
I like my Talkeetna, a m70 stainless classic would fit the bill 100% too