(kind of serious) wolf hunting question

rafiki

FNG
tl;dr do crying babies attract wolves?

story:
was talking with a buddy about our wives being "not thrilled" (to put it nicely) about multiple trips being planned for this fall. we both have kids and jokingly said we could bring the toddlers on a deer or elk hunt...
now, outside of 1,000 obvious reasons why that's a preposterous idea, imagining the inevitable crying/temper tantrums blowing out any game in the vicinity was among them.
HOWEVER, it did get me thinking about distress calls and how well an injured rabit etc works for varmint calling...does anyone have experience with kids in wolf territory? i would think a bunch of loud noises would scare everything away but could also see piquing a wolf's interest if they thought a tiny human was around.
to be absolutely clear...i'm not suggesting using a crying kid as a wolf call so let's flip the question around. in terms of safety, are you at more risk with predators (wolves) around if you're camping with little ones?

I think you have posed a very valid question. The answer to your question is a maybe. A wolf could come to the sound of a crying baby, but would most likely be turned off by the human scent present. It may depend on how hungry the wolf is. Wolves have no problem attacking dogs so anything is possible, but IMO, highly unlikely it would get past the human scent to make contact.

OP
rafiki

rafiki

FNG
I think you have posed a very valid question. The answer to your question is a maybe. A wolf could come to the sound of a crying baby, but would most likely be turned off by the human scent present. It may depend on how hungry the wolf is. Wolves have no problem attacking dogs so anything is possible, but IMO, highly unlikely it would get past the human scent to make contact.
that makes sense and i hadn't really considered the "why/how" (i.e. scent) of wolves avoiding humans. i appreciate the response. thank you!