Kitchen knives/set??

Thinking of a last minute idea for my wife and we could desperately use a set of kitchen knives. At this point we really don’t have any. lol. A couple of crap big boxes store knives that never get used and a couple of henckles we got for Christmas one year. A chef knives and cutting knife I think. The he files are nice. Not the top end of the brand but do well. They need to be honed often though. As far as steak knives, well, better not overdue the steak Bc we don’t own any of those at all.

Kinda curious what other people use/like and experiences. As of right now I’m looking at the henckle pros and wustof classic icons. I’ve come across another set of bob Kramer’s produced by ja henckle as well that come in high carbon steel or Damascus. I know some people rave about cutco but I’ve never been a big fan.l and hate their handles.

We do cook a lot and we do a lot of food prep when we cook so the ability to make precision cuts is important on meats and veggies.

Let’s hear it. Eager to see what people have to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awasome

Lil-Rokslider
My favorite knives are actually budget knives that are always tops on the America's Test Kitchen knives. Victorinox Knives. Victorinox knives are my work horses since my wife and I are avid cooks. They hold an edge well, easy to sharpen, handles are grippy even if your hands get wet, and they are durable. They aren't pretty or flashy but they get the job done.

I don't ever buy a set/block of knives as they come with knives that will see very little or no use.

My knife "set" consists of the following.
  1. 8in Chef knife
  2. 6in Boning knife
  3. 7in Santoku knife
  4. Pairing knife
  5. 10in bread/slicing knife
  6. Honing Steel

Victorinox Fibrox here as well. I really haven’t seen any reason to upgrade. They sharpen well, hold and edge, and have plenty of blade styles. If you want something a little fancier then you could get them with wood handles, but there’s really no reason to.

GrayGoose

Lil-Rokslider
I like the Victorinox as well. May be tough buying a set though. I ordered a butchering set last December and the ship date kept getting bumped. I ended up canceling the order when the expected ship date was January 2022.

kpk

WKR
I actually had the wife order me a couple for Xmas as I hate the knives we currently have. I also went Victorinox fibrox. 8" chefs, 6" boning, and a utility/paring something or other. I'll add a couple more as needed.

Victorinox here as well. Looked at getting a "set" of knives myself but realized buying the pieces you actually need was a better option. Most knife set come with knives that are redundant or just fillers.

I actually had the wife order me a couple for Xmas as I hate the knives we currently have. I also went Victorinox fibrox. 8" chefs, 6" boning, and a utility/paring something or other. I'll add a couple more as needed.
This is where I started. Add a bread knife and a slicer and you can do just about everything.

Edit: And add a F. Dick. Packinghouse Steel.

CCH

WKR
My limited experience with the Victorinox Fibrox has been good. Their bread knife is the bomb in that category. However, we've also added some of the LT Wright Chef collection to the stable, and they have been impressive. My wife is getting the small pouter (paring knife) for Christmas. Can get a lot done with a pretty small collection of knives. I've got stuff in my block of Henkel's early Internationals that I don't think I've ever used. That block is going away.

Jmort1754

WKR
Cutco is what we use.

The ability to get factory seconds mitigates price without seeing the defects

SWOHTR

WKR
Wusthof classic. Not the Ikons. We have the classics and they do a great job.

That said you don’t need many…

PNWGATOR

WKR
Ditto the America’s Test Kitchen recommendations!!!!! Their web site is subscription based, but you can dig around and find their exact recommendations online in short order without a subscription.

mdp22

FNG
We bought Cutco for our kitchen, not real expensive and are definitely an upgrade from the old Chicago Cutlery knives we had.

ODB

WKR
My favorite knives are actually budget knives that are always tops on the America's Test Kitchen knives. Victorinox Knives. Victorinox knives are my work horses since my wife and I are avid cooks. They hold an edge well, easy to sharpen, handles are grippy even if your hands get wet, and they are durable. They aren't pretty or flashy but they get the job done.

I don't ever buy a set/block of knives as they come with knives that will see very little or no use.

My knife "set" consists of the following.
  1. 8in Chef knife
  2. 6in Boning knife
  3. 7in Santoku knife
  4. Pairing knife
  5. 10in bread/slicing knife
  6. Honing Steel

This is a good recommendation. Victorinox knives are kick ass.

dtrkyman

WKR
Bought my wife a full set of Wusthof 15 plus years ago, no complaints, still look new. Probably wouldn't but the set again though, a couple of them get used very little.

Also have a Global Sushi knife, great blade for the money.