Knife woes

ForkLift

FNG
Looking for a hunting knife. Seems a little overwhelming. My needs are something that can process a moose, hold an edge and wont break the bank. I have my eye on a KOA knife but the two I like are either 3” or 3.5”; are those big enough or would I need something in the 4” range? The benchmade saddle mountain skinner has my attention as well, but the price is pretty high. Any other brand recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you.

No need for a long blade in the field. I’ve put my Benchmade hidden canyon thru a bunch of elk and love it. Between that and a victorinox boning knife for butchering at home you’re set for life.

I feel like 3-4" length is about all you need. Fits my needs anyway.
The Benchmade Saddle Mountain Raghorn would be a good knife.
1711566097515.png
The Montana Knife Company Blackfoot 2.0 would also be outstanding.
1711566276014.png

rclouse79

WKR
Looking for a hunting knife. Seems a little overwhelming. My needs are something that can process a moose, hold an edge and wont break the bank. I have my eye on a KOA knife but the two I like are either 3” or 3.5”; are those big enough or would I need something in the 4” range? The benchmade saddle mountain skinner has my attention as well, but the price is pretty high. Any other brand recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you.
From a utilitarian perspective, a replaceable blade Havalon is hard to beat. They have worked great on elk for me, and I can't imagine why they wouldn't go through a moose like a hot knife through butter.

OP
F

ForkLift

FNG
From a utilitarian perspective, a replaceable blade Havalon is hard to beat. They have worked great on elk for me, and I can't imagine why they wouldn't go through a moose like a hot knife through butter.
I have a havalon, im looking for a knife that can do bigger tasks when it comes to processing

A bit more than you want to spend but Ruana Knives made in Bonner Montana are outstanding. They are tank tough and hold an edge. I have two of them and each of my son's has one. I prefer the Model 5AD and Steelhead out of all the ones they make. The 5AD has a 4" blade and the Steelhead has a 3.5" blade.
5AD
1711566575020.png
Steelhead
1711566614821.png
95AD 4 1/4" blade is sweet too!
1711566689731.png
Reliable model 3 1/2" blade is nice too. Oh so many choices.
1711566812326.png

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
I'm another fan of 3.5-4" blades for field use. There are so many good options I can understand your frustration.

I have a couple custom knives and a Bark River that are my usual go too choices. I also like the shape of a Buck 113 but would get a custom shop with s30v.

rclouse79

WKR
I have a havalon, im looking for a knife that can do bigger tasks when it comes to processing
Between my Havalon Piranta and Barracuda I have yet to encounter a task I thought was too big in the field or processing at home. Good luck with your search.

Pokerface

FNG
I really like the Buck Vanguard...Joe
11352_source_1686260941.png

Ucsdryder

WKR
I have 2 high quality steel fixed blade knives. The more I use them the more I realize the havalon is the best knife made for cutting animals in the field.

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
I tried the havalon and while gutting with it was fine that was it. I snapped blades caping, and try to disjoint.
They're probably better now, not as fragile. Now I mostly do gutless, and pack them out.
A havalon can't be used for much else. If you get in a jam, a good fixed blade can get a fire going.

CHWine

Lil-Rokslider
Random thoughts: the original Havalon smaller knife does seem to have blade durability issues. A buddy bought one and the blade would often come off. I bought an Outdoor Edge 3.5" replaceable knife last year. Good but not great. Blade changing was fine, but either didn't hold an edge long, or just weren't that sharp for long.
I also think a 3-4 inch blade is enough in the field for gutting and skinning. Hard to go against Benchmade as a company. Their products are top notch and provide free sharpening for life. I have various fixed and folders (one of my favs is a mid 70's two blade Case) and they just don't make steel like that anymore.
One more thing. I met a local guy who will sharpen any knife for $5. I had him do some kitchen and hunting knives and I'm glad I did. Now I can keep them pretty sharp with a diamond steel