Knight Extreme getting ready

Hi all,

New to posting on RokS, been viewing/reading forums, etc for quite some time. Some very good info on here and folks seem to be very helpfull and postiive unlike many other forums, so that's nice to see. Getting ready for a Colo Elk muzzy trip. My T/C was never able to group conicals very well so I sold it, and based on research and alot of what I read on here, I picked up a used Knight Extreme. Posts by Sabotloader have been especially helpfull, thank you sir.

Tried a number of conicals: (below w/ scope, using BH 209 and W209 primer):
-Maxiballs = 370gr grouped 2" at 100 yards, but even knurled they were very loose down barrell. Worried they could unseat while hunting.
-Great Plains & Horndady FBP = I think they were 385gr, did not group too well
-Thor= .503 fit best, getting 1 3/4" groups at 100 yards w 300gr Thors using 100gr vol BH209. They seat nicely, so this is my going to be my hunting load for Colo elk.

The day I was shooting the Thor's was slighthly windy at times. The 1 3/4" group was with 6 shots. 3 pairs where touching. I think if I really bear down, w/ 3 shot groups I could probably pull a 1" group. But regardless, they shot great so scope came off and peep's been on, practice continues.

So I'm confident with the Knight, 4 weeks to continue to get in shape. Being a NE flatlander, that's the biggest challenge when heading out to God's company!

I think you will really like the Extreme and what you and it can do together.... have great luck on your hunting trip... Post some pictures when you get a chance..

OP
S
Well, all I would have been able to post was my un-used tag, no luck last season. But info on here helped with selecting the Thor conical, shot pretty well out of the Knight, and Sabotloader info on peep sights was great, had my Knight set up with a peep for last years colo hunt, less than 2" group at 100yrds, so worked well, just could not find a bull to try it out on!

But the hunting gods were very kind to me, I pulled a NM Valle Caldera muzzleloader tag this year! I'm pumped. So peep sight is coming off, need to get a scope and bases for my Knight Extreme, thinking about trying out Barnes TMZ 290gr sabots. Never used sabots since I got the Knight for Colo hunts (conicals only). Planning to do some serious practicing this summer, with scope and sabots I want to be confident to at least 175, hopefully 200 yrds.

One thing I will warn you about your switch from T/C to Knight is knight's screw in safety on back of the bolt. Over the 7 or so years my dad used a Knight there were at least 3 occasions where the gun didn't fire on a 50 yard broadside shot due to that stupid thing. After hiking all day it would work it's way tight enough that it would prevent it from firing. I have never before seen a rifle with 2 safeties and it seems like a really stupid design decision. Other than that though, they make good rifles that actually shoot true conicals pretty well. Don't know if they're better now, but the one my dad had was extremely heavy. I have a T/C Triumph bone collector and I would agree that true conicals shoot like crap, however power belts shoot very well. I use PowerBelt 295 aero and have never had any problems with accuracy and since they are legal here in CO you may want to give them a shot.

Poser

WKR
Yep, I've had 3 encounters with that Knight screw in safety, too. It needs to be fully unscrewed, I not, you won't get enough force to fire the cap. It's also easy to forget about unscrewing, so check it constantly while hunting. I like Knight weapons but I see no need for 2 safeties.

Disclaimer: I make the following recommendation with the assumption that you know how to handle a firearm properly without shooting yourself, if you do so don't blame me.

I recommend actually removing the screw safety before hunting. I'm sure it was some lawyer fix for some way you could shoot it with the trigger safety enabled, but I don't see a need for it and with the first elk I miss because of it the gun will be up for sale. My dad's actually fell off out in the field after 5 years or so, which was probably for the better (his was an old Knight T-Bolt BTW).

The Secondary Safety on a Knight is really not that difficult to deal with. I use two options and have never had a real problem with it.

1. Screw the secondary safety all the way back and then tighten it back against the retaining screw TIGHT. In most cases it will remain tight.
2. Turn the secondary safety all the way in and them apply a very small amount of plummers liquid teflon to the threads - them back the Secondary Safety back out again. The Teflon will provide the friction necessary to hold it from turning forward on its own.
#3 and something that you would need to do very carefully - burr the threads on the post slightly. So the Secondary Safety does not or can not vibrate forward. A small sharp cold cheisel and gentle tap with a hammer will take care of the problem

I consistently use thought #1 and it works very well - for me.

Just sharing some thoughts...

The Secondary Safety on a Knight is really not that difficult to deal with. I use two options and have never had a real problem with it.

1. Screw the secondary safety all the way back and then tighten it back against the retaining screw TIGHT. In most cases it will remain tight.
2. Turn the secondary safety all the way in and them apply a very small amount of plummers liquid teflon to the threads - them back the Secondary Safety back out again. The Teflon will provide the friction necessary to hold it from turning forward on its own.
#3 and something that you would need to do very carefully - burr the threads on the post slightly. So the Secondary Safety does not or can not vibrate forward. A small sharp cold cheisel and gentle tap with a hammer will take care of the problem

I consistently use thought #1 and it works very well - for me.

Just sharing some thoughts...

Might work with the newer ones, but the older one was so loose on the threads much larger thread that it wouldn't stay back no matter what you did. While it may not be difficult to deal with, it's not something that you should have to deal with. While all of your solutions may solve the problem, the first time it doesn't you will be ready to throw your gun away. It's hard enough to get within shooting range of a bull, do you really want to risk it? Just take the stupid thing off (assuming it's still that simple in the newer ones).

Might work with the newer ones, but the older one was so loose on the threads much larger thread that it wouldn't stay back no matter what you did. While it may not be difficult to deal with, it's not something that you should have to deal with. While all of your solutions may solve the problem, the first time it doesn't you will be ready to throw your gun away. It's hard enough to get within shooting range of a bull, do you really want to risk it? Just take the stupid thing off (assuming it's still that simple in the newer ones).

It seems to me that your mind is already made up so not much I would suggest would change your thoughts, but there is a purpose for the secondary safety especially on the older Knight plunger guns. The personal safety aspect of the secondary safety can be very large in key situations. and I would be the first to admit that I really only use the secondary safety to dis-assemble the bolt.

Even with the older ones which I have a few of - I have never had the problem you are discussing. It is just a simple fix and the seconday safety has it advantageous for some and a real purpose for many others.

I should also add there are other people that feel the same way you do, but i am hoping the majority of us are on the other side of the fence.

dotman

WKR
The secondary safety is minor to me, just be aware of it. Like most good quality things in life, you have to know their quirks to fully get your experience and knight is no different.