Knocking off the dust…

Hondo64d

Lil-Rokslider
So, due to a hunting opportunity this fall, I’m taking up bow hunting again. Climbed up in the attic yesterday and dug out the Mathews Q2XL and went down to the local archery shop to have them inspect it and correct any deficiencies. I haven’t shot archery since 2005, and the last bow I shot was this Q2XL. At a minimum, I expected to have to put new cables on it and retune it. The owner/tech looked it over and said it looked good to go to him. He put a couple of arrows through paper and they produced a perfect tear, so We stepped into the range. My first arrow in 18 years was in the white and arrow flight was perfect. I settled down a bit after a couple of groups and shot this group, breaking two knocks in the process. This reminded me all over again just what a nice shooting, forgiving bow the Q2XL was…. And is…

I’ve been pouring over all the forums the last couple of days and before shooting my bow again, was pretty convinced I would need to replace my bow due to it being so outdated. While I was at the shop, the owner let me shoot his Hoyt. His bow is one of this year’s bows. Which model it is escapes me. It was very nice to shoot, but not remarkably different than mine. Things of note were it did not feel like I was drawing any more weight than mine, even though his was 70 lbs and mine was 60. I’ve always felt like my Q2XL had very little hand shock, but the new Hoyt had none. Absolutely dead in the hand. I felt like his bow was as quiet as mine, be he assured me his was louder. His ears are a lot younger than mine, so maybe so…. I really expected his bow to be blazing fast, with a noticeable difference in TOF. His was faster, but not to the extent I expected. He shoots a 470gr arrow from 70 pounds whereas mine are only 420 from 60 lbs, which does account for some of the difference, but again, the difference was not as dramatic as I expected. The Hoyt is heavier than mine, but that is likely due to the front and rear stabilizers he has on his. My Q2XL has none.

So, for this season anyway, I think I’m going to stick with the old Q2XL. Maybe after this season I’ll upgrade. A little more speed probably wouldn’t hurt, especially if I don’t loose any forgiveness/shootability. When I do upgrade, I probably won’t get the latest and greatest, but rather a model a couple of years old at a hefty discount. For now though, I’m really looking forward to getting getting out again during archery season with my old friend.

John

IMG-1175.jpg

rclouse79

WKR
If it ain’t broke don’t fix it! Once I get my bow shooting good I don’t like to change anything on it until I have to.

Nothing wrong with your old Mathews. It will still kill just as effectively as it did when new. If I were you I might go ahead and order a new string/cable set to have on hand in case those 18 year old threads give out at an inopportune time.

sambo3006

FNG
Looks good to me! I agree with Mighty Mouse on the extra string and cable.
Since the bow checked out good and you're shooting well with it, hunt it!
Remember, every bow was once the latest and greatest. 😁

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
If you are comfortable with your equipment, use it. Any doubt will just mess with you. Imo these new bows are all hype and any good broadhead out of a tuned bow will kill anything you aim at, especially with how accurate you are with yours

cprince09

FNG
I’m just getting back into it myself after an almost 10 year break and my Mathew’s Switchback XT is still shooting just as good as I can shoot!

Point Man

Lil-Rokslider
Same here. I was out of it a while too and went out and bought a new bow but I did blow the dust off of my Mathews Switchback XT and had new strings put on it and it still shoots just fine.

OP
H

Hondo64d

Lil-Rokslider
So, due to a hunting opportunity this fall, I’m taking up bow hunting again. Climbed up in the attic yesterday and dug out the Mathews Q2XL and went down to the local archery shop to have them inspect it and correct any deficiencies. I haven’t shot archery since 2005, and the last bow I shot was this Q2XL. At a minimum, I expected to have to put new cables on it and retune it. The owner/tech looked it over and said it looked good to go to him. He put a couple of arrows through paper and they produced a perfect tear, so We stepped into the range. My first arrow in 18 years was in the white and arrow flight was perfect. I settled down a bit after a couple of groups and shot this group, breaking two knocks in the process. This reminded me all over again just what a nice shooting, forgiving bow the Q2XL was…. And is…

I’ve been pouring over all the forums the last couple of days and before shooting my bow again, was pretty convinced I would need to replace my bow due to it being so outdated. While I was at the shop, the owner let me shoot his Hoyt. His bow is one of this year’s bows. Which model it is escapes me. It was very nice to shoot, but not remarkably different than mine. Things of note were it did not feel like I was drawing any more weight than mine, even though his was 70 lbs and mine was 60. I’ve always felt like my Q2XL had very little hand shock, but the new Hoyt had none. Absolutely dead in the hand. I felt like his bow was as quiet as mine, be he assured me his was louder. His ears are a lot younger than mine, so maybe so…. I really expected his bow to be blazing fast, with a noticeable difference in TOF. His was faster, but not to the extent I expected. He shoots a 470gr arrow from 70 pounds whereas mine are only 420 from 60 lbs, which does account for some of the difference, but again, the difference was not as dramatic as I expected. The Hoyt is heavier than mine, but that is likely due to the front and rear stabilizers he has on his. My Q2XL has none.

So, for this season anyway, I think I’m going to stick with the old Q2XL. Maybe after this season I’ll upgrade. A little more speed probably wouldn’t hurt, especially if I don’t loose any forgiveness/shootability. When I do upgrade, I probably won’t get the latest and greatest, but rather a model a couple of years old at a hefty discount. For now though, I’m really looking forward to getting getting out again during archery season with my old friend.

John

IMG-1175.jpg
Should have known this was too good to be true…

John

IMG-1180.jpg

Point Man

Lil-Rokslider
Was it stored in a hot place? Hot rooms like attics are not good for bows or ski boots. Ask me how I know.

Jethro

WKR
I can honestly say I’d be more concerned about shooting 18 year stings than I would be about that splinter. Snip it, sand it, super glue it.

Point Man

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, brand new bow time. Try a bunch out and get exactly what you want or you will always have the buyer's remorse and end up spending more money in the long run.

Scoot

WKR
May as well go new if you're sticking with archery. No telling what the previous owner did to a bow.
Why? I've bought dozens of used bows. No problem if you have a clue and use common sense. PM me if you want to helpful info on buying used.

Luck of the draw I guess. I am 0 for 2, and the second one almost killed me when the axle busted out of the limb on my drawboard. Never again for me.
1104202121a.jpg
1104202122.jpg

Point Man

Lil-Rokslider
Why? I've bought dozens of used bows. No problem if you have a clue and use common sense. PM me if you want to helpful info on buying used.
That is why one should go and try out as many new bows as he can and pick the one he likes the most. It will keep him from buying and wasting money on a dozen used bows, to find the one he wants.

Scoot

WKR
Haha I've cycled through as many new bow on the same period of time! Because you buy new doesn't guarantee that you won't be turning your bow over. That being said I get your point and I agree with it. But many people don't want to drop over a $1000 .For a bare boat brand new. I'm lucky in that I get to shoot most used bows before I purchase one similar to the ones that I buy. Pros and cons to buying used versus new bows, but there's no doubt they lose a lot of value in a hurry once purchased.