Kodiak in early December

glass eye

FNG
Anyone ever hunt Kodiak in early December ? How do you compare it with earlier hunts ?

I've never been down there in early Dec. but did hunt it a few years ago in mid Dec. (about 10-15 days before Christmas), and I won't ever do a deer hunt down there that late in the season again. Days are very short (obviously), and the deer had all gone nocturnal. Saw tons of fresh tracks in the sand on the beaches every morning, but we actually saw very few deer and only took home one, in the week that we were there, with 4 people hunting. This was an area that I had hunted several times before and have since hunted, and it has always had a very good to decent deer population, even during the lean years right after a big winter kill. If you do decide to go in Dec., bring a lot of booze, because you will more than likely find yourself having a lot of downtime on your hands. Oh, and maybe a good book or two as well.

VernAK

WKR
If you have doubts about wind and weather in that area, check nullschool.com to see what goes on out there. December is too dark and weather too nasty for me.

OP
glass eye

glass eye

FNG
If you have doubts about wind and weather in that area, check nullschool.com to see what goes on out there. December is too dark and weather too nasty for me.
My computer blocked an attack by nullschool.....not cool.

OP
glass eye

glass eye

FNG
Was hoping to do a deer / duck combo and figured later was better for sea ducks. I've camped in Cold Bay and Adak in Dec & Jan so I know about the long nights and bad weather. But if the deer hunting isn't good in Dec I'll just focus on deer and hunt in early Nov. I believe they'll be rutting then.

BuzzH

WKR
I hunted Kodiak in late November and there were lots of deer, ducks, and fishing. My buddy and I each shot 2 good bucks each, saw maybe 20 bucks a day. Shot long tailed ducks, harlequins, buffleheads, and Goldeneye. Caught enough halibut for 60lbs of filets each, a couple big yelloweyes, and Pacific cod. Also filled a 55lb barrel with tanner and dungeness crab....

miloak

FNG
Was hoping to do a deer / duck combo and figured later was better for sea ducks. I've camped in Cold Bay and Adak in Dec & Jan so I know about the long nights and bad weather. But if the deer hunting isn't good in Dec I'll just focus on deer and hunt in early Nov. I believe they'll be rutting then.
There will be enough deer in December, especially if there's a lot of snow. Could be epic.
I'm sure I don't need to say it, but take a rifle and a shotgun regardless of when you go.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk