Kodiak Trophy Potential

Alder_

Lil-Rokslider
I’m interested in pursuing a mountain goat hunt on Kodiak in the next couple years, but I’m not really interested in shooting a small billy.

For those that have hunted and know Kodiak, what is your experience with mature Billy’s and their horn size?

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted Kodiak. Great place for an "easier," long-haired billy if you hunt October or later, but I would not recommend Kodiak if you have dreams of a B&C-class goat. Expect billies from 8" into the 9" range. A few 10"+ have been taken, but not many.

OP
Alder_

Alder_

Lil-Rokslider
Rats. Would really like a chance at a big billy on Kodiak. Maybe I’ll look into BC.

If you’re looking for a big goat you should consider calling Ed Toribio at Primo Expeditions. He consistently gets some really big billies.

Brent

Lil-Rokslider
We found several nice billies when we were there last September. There were a couple that we just couldn't get to, but I ended up shooting an 8 year old 9.5" billy with fantastic hair. I'd put all of the mature billies we saw in the 9" range.

20230917_150422.jpg

Last edited:

TXCO

WKR
You can try to draw a tag on the North end of the island. Thats probably the better bet for big billies. Most people (myself included) who I know that have hunted there shot nannies or younger billies.

The best billies seem to come out of BC or SE mainland Alaska consistently.