Kowa binocular experience. How are they?

Macintosh

WKR
I’ve heard a lot of people speak very highly of the kowa spotting scopes, especially the ones with fluorite glass. However, I’ve heard very little about their binoculars. I recently ran across some online, and while I’m not really shopping, I was curious what their level of quality is. For folks who have used them and also have experience with other mid and high-end binoculars, how did these compare to other brands? I’m curious both about their lower end and higher end models, it looks like all of the ones I saw have HD glass, not fluorite.

TxxAgg

WKR
My Genesis 8x33 are my favs. I'm not a bino guy though to I don't have much to compare to.

Matt G.

WKR
The Kowa Genesis binoculars will be a solid side by side with a Swarovski SLC. They are excellent. I've had a few folks who picked up the Genesis 8x33 say it's right there with a Leica Ultravid or Swaro EL. Absolutely worth checking out.
Doug,

Do you know if Kowa would inspect, clean, and replace components of their glass like swaro would?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Doug,

Do you know if Kowa would inspect, clean, and replace components of their glass like swaro would?

Thanks

Kowa does handle any and all warranty requests. As a general rule Swarovski does not offer that service even though they are known to provide it on a case by case basis

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
Doug,

Thanks

I was hell bent on buying a Swaro simply because of their incredible customer service but with all the excellent reviews here of the Kowas I was curious how they would stand up to Swaro's CS. The folks at Kowa told me that they will take my 774 spotter in for cleaning, inspection and repair, this was last summer. I haven't had to send them in yet but will at the end of the year and we'll see what happens.

Take this FWIW, not a comprehensive comparison. That said, my buddy had his NL Pure 10x42s at the range this weekend. I put them side-by-side against my Kowa 10.5x44s looking at our bullet holes on a paper target at 100 yards. I could not tell a difference in clarity or ability to discern the 6.5 mm holes between the two. He stressed that this was in broad daylight, and the NL Pures would really be obviously better in lower light situations and shadows. Which is probably true. But they also cost over 4x what I paid for the Kowas. So probably a good example of diminishing returns similar to a lot of things in the hunting gear universe -- Idk if the Kowas are 80% as "good" as the NL Pures, or 90%, or what. But they're certainly good, so that additional 10 or 20% of performance will cost you 400% the price.

tony

WKR
I have 2 pair of the BD 2's. 6.5x30 and 10x42
I don't know anything about optics and Cameraland recommended the BD2 line. I started with the 42s. I liked them so much I bought the 30s. For what I need and do, they are clear, I noticed a slight distortion on the edge of the lens at certain times. I notice it more when I wear my glasses vs. contacts. So it could be the way I hold them when I wear glasses.
For the money I think they are a great buy.