How To Effectively Compare Binoculars?

NickyD

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking at upgrading to high end binoculars but I don’t really know how to differentiate among them as they’re all much better than my low end binos.

I understand the common advice of “buy the best glass you can afford” but I have an issue with accepting that advice blindly and would like to understand how to effectively compare different binoculars to ensure I’m making a justifiable decision.

With that being said, I have a few questions:
  1. When looking at top quality binoculars what are you looking for as good/bad qualities and how do you “test” for those?
  2. Is there a way to test different binos for extended periods of time besides purchasing and returning/reselling them? I’d like to have them for a few weeks so I can use them in different environments and light conditions.
  3. Are there any good shops within 4-5 hours of Denver that could help me in person? Big box store employees can be hit or miss. There’s tons of helpful people online but at the end of the day it’s hard to beat being helped in person
Thanks in advance!

Honestly the best way I’ve found is to test them side by side, on a tripod, looking at deer on the winter range. Ideally with low light comparison. I’ll usually buy used from the classifieds and resell at little to no net loss. It’s hard to compare in the store, other than some of the ergonomics. Even then it takes me a season of using something new to truly get a feel for it.

OP
N

NickyD

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly the best way I’ve found is to test them side by side, on a tripod, looking at deer on the winter range. Ideally with low light comparison. I’ll usually buy used from the classifieds and resell at little to no net loss. It’s hard to compare in the store, other than some of the ergonomics. Even then it takes me a season of using something new to truly get a feel for it.
That makes sense. Cant beat in field use. What attributes are you look for when your judging binoculars? I was looking at Razor UHD, EL, and NL pure and could not determine a big difference between them all. Hard to find a difference without understanding what I’m looking for. We took them outside about 30 minutes before sunset

Marshfly

WKR
That makes sense. Cant beat in field use. What attributes are you look for when your judging binoculars? I was looking at Razor UHD, EL, and NL pure and could not determine a big difference between them all. Hard to find a difference without understanding what I’m looking for. We took them outside about 30 minutes before sunset
Dusk and dawn are great but also look for details IN and UNDER trees and brush with a harsh midday sun. Look at stuff in the shadows. Especially if you are getting some mirage.
This is a scenario where great binoculars and spotters prove their worth IMHO.

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t forget to consider how they feel in your hands. I used to have an excellent pair of Nikon HG bins that Inever liked the feel of and I always ended up grabbing something else.

Once into the top tier optical comparison is less important to me. Yeah they have differences, but they are all good.

It’s bino shape, weight, bridge stiffness, eye cup function, locking diopter, focus wheel tension and gear ratio(?), ect…

It’s all the stuff they don’t really talk about in adds or most reviews. All that stuff that you don’t really grasp till you’ve used them for a few years, then changed to a different set and suddenly realize what you miss and what you can’t believe you put up with.

That makes sense. Cant beat in field use. What attributes are you look for when you’re judging binoculars? I was looking at Razor UHD, EL, and NL pure and could not determine a big difference between them all. Hard to find a difference without understanding what I’m looking for. We took them outside about 30 minutes before sunset
Yeah, all of those will look good handheld. It really helps to get them on a tripod. I can tell you the NLs have an amazing field of view compared to the competition. This comes into play mostly off a tripod. It’s probably the main reason these are the top tier bino available now

Back when I was getting ready to buy my first good bino, I bought 3 pairs from Cabela's and 2 Maven demos. You can stagger as needed for returns or credit card timing. If you've got access to a tripod set-up and a good spot to glass in low-light, you will be able to choose between some of them very quickly. I did my test in June so I had plenty of light after work to spend quality time with each bino.

I'm not sure Cabela's still has a great return policy. But I'm sure you can find a shop that still does.

OP
N

NickyD

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, all of those will look good handheld. It really helps to get them on a tripod. I can tell you the NLs have an amazing field of view compared to the competition. This comes into play mostly off a tripod. It’s probably the main reason these are the top tier bino available now
You say FOV comes into play with a tripod. Is this because you can’t effectively look edge to edge handheld?

You say FOV comes into play with a tripod. Is this because you can’t effectively look edge to edge handheld?
It’s harder for the brain to recognize the difference with movement. But, if you never use binos on a tripod (you should), then amazing FOV may not be worth the extra $$

OP
N

NickyD

Lil-Rokslider
It’s harder for the brain to recognize the difference with movement. But, if you never use binos on a tripod (you should), then amazing FOV may not be worth the extra $$
Oh no I’m pretty much exclusively using using a tripod when glassing, and if I’m on the move I use my shooting stick or trekking poles for support