Kowa Spotter Lens Caps

I have used the Kowa 77mm objective spotter for a couple years now, and while I absolutely love 95% of it, I am wondering if there are better lens caps out there. I have looked around to see if there is a third party option, but haven't been coming up with much. The objective lens cap falls off pretty easily, so I am pretty much required to run a stay-on case almost exclusively to keep the lens caps from falling off in my pack, and this kind of defeats the purpose of going with this lighter weight spotter as compared to something like a Swaro, Leica or Zeiss. Well...that, and cost.

Has anyone with a Kowa spotter come up with a solution or also struggle with this lens cap?

Marshfly

WKR
I drilled a hole in the objective cover and enlarged the hole in the occular cover and ran a length of 220 paracord between. Then I used electrical tape the attach the paracord to the spotter. It came out exceptionally clean and works great.
Doesn't solve the issue of coming off but does solve the issue of them getting away from the spotter. I use the case if I am packing it. I'm not putting a 2k spotter loose in my pack for it to break if when I drop my pack in haste.

IMG_4895.jpeg

duchntr

WKR
I put a vortex defender scope cap on the eyepiece of a 773 and it actually works really well. No solution for the objective though.

Matt G.

WKR
I do not have an issue with the objective cap but depending on you eyepiece, kowa changed the design for that cap and stays on much better. More in line to the cap on the 55. It is pretty secure.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

mntnguide

WKR
You can find generic caps on amazon...just need to order the right size. I bought a 3 pack, and they are much stronger than the kowa one and have a middle pinch that doesnt come off. . also you can get a full lens protector to screw in if you want as well. I ordered an 82mm for mine. I also buy cheap stick on cap attachment bungies, that just go around the barrel of the scope and stick onto the cap, so you dont ever set it down and forget it...which is what i did originally when i lost my first cap.

magnum

FNG
Polar Pro Defender lens cover are what you need. Get a 77mm - 82mm for the objective and a 55mm - 62mm for the eyepiece. I can’t recommend them enough especially for Kowa spotters.

I’m new to Kowa spotting scopes. I purchased a “filter” from Camera Land and threaded it on the objective. With the neoprene “stay-on” case, I don’t plan on taking the objective lens cap in to the field. The filters are expensive, but I figure they provide an extra level of protection for the fluorite objective. If you ever need the extra light, you can simply unscrew by hand.

Those Polar Pro caps do look nice too.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
I use a tract neoprene cover on mine. Works great.

Last edited:

jb_358

FNG
I’m new to Kowa spotting scopes. I purchased a “filter” from Camera Land and threaded it on the objective. With the neoprene “stay-on” case, I don’t plan on taking the objective lens cap in to the field. The filters are expensive, but I figure they provide an extra level of protection for the fluorite objective. If you ever need the extra light, you can simply unscrew by hand.

Those Polar Pro caps do look nice too.
What size objective did you put the filter on? I was under the impression that there are filters for the 66 and 88 prominar series, but not for the 77.

What size objective did you put the filter on? I was under the impression that there are filters for the 66 and 88 prominar series, but not for the 77.
I have the 99 mm objective, which uses the 105 mm filter. The 77 mm objective should use an 82 mm filter as I linked. Call camera land and confirm. They are a Kowa dealer and can verify.