KS WIHA - scrub properties

MIbowhunter4954

Lil-Rokslider
Yup, shame on me for being a nonres wanting to hunt in KS. And yep, its public, we all get to use it.

Now that we've gotten past that -- has anyone had luck on the less desirable properties (small, one finger of timber or cover running though, nothing but low brush, etc?

Yet to go a full day without someone walking by me. I've gotten to the point that I'd be okay not seeing deer so long as I don't see another hunter walking by each day.

Maybe asking this question about success is pointless. Guess I'm trying to justify spending more time away from my toddler.

Thess87

WKR
I don’t think the question your asking has 1 answer. I live in eastern Kansas and every now and then I’ll go out to western Kansas to chase mule deer. You can find success on some timber patches and some patches without a tree on the whole property, honestly out there I can’t say that I prefer one over the other. Eastern Kansas is kind of a different world around my parts you’d be hard pressed to find wiha without trees so there’s not really any choice.

LFC911

WKR
Just to clarify, KS WIHA is private property with public access and not our public state, BLM and Federal land. Now that's we've gotten past that, KS WIHA is just as bad, if not worse in some cases, as CO OTC. I think you will be very hard pressed to find WIHA w/o another hunter on it sometime during the day. If you want to end the frustration, knock on some doors. You might be surprised what you find and get some good access. Cheers and good luck!

kda082

WKR
walk in is worse during the rut. I stopped hunting it years ago. Go early if you want to avoid the pressure.

I tend to drive the boundaries of a WIHA tract before I hunt it, to make sure no one else is in there. Honestly if you're already there it's kinda a dbag move for someone to see your truck and decide to hunt anyway. Large properties being the exception.

If you're treestand hunting whiltetails it doesn't take very much acreage. I would not be deterred by some of the smallest properties, especially if there is only one access point.

greenomics

Lil-Rokslider
There are many WIHAs that are simple pasture ground with fringe timber. Usually not high likelihood of success.

On top of that. A lot of WIHAs that would normally be productive CRP ground but have been emergency grazed last two years.