Kuiu axis pants

I'm trying to justify buying kuiu axis pants for a upcoming idaho deer hunt. I have a pair of guide pants already. For those of you that have experience with both pairs is it really worth spending the money on the axis pants if I already have the guides? Any input would be appreciated thanks.

AKDoc

WKR
For me, yes...worth every penny. I live and hunt in a cold and wet environment, so the waterproof panels in the seat and lower legs are very functionally useful, and the high-stretch/fleece lined material is very comfortable. I've worn them day after day in the field for two-week remote hunts, living out of a tent. I bought my Axis pants (and jacket) when they first came out two/three years ago, and I've not worn my Guide pants (or Guide jacket) ever since. The Axis are my go to's.

That said, not all hunting environments are the same.

OP
T
For me, yes...worth every penny. I live and hunt in a cold and wet environment, so the waterproof panels in the seat and lower legs are very functionally useful, and the high-stretch/fleece lined material is very comfortable. I've worn them day after day in the field for two-week remote hunts, living out of a tent. I bought my Axis pants (and jacket) when they first came out two/three years ago, and I've not worn my Guide pants (or Guide jacket) ever since. The Axis are my go to's.

Thanks for the response. Would you say thier as warm as the guides if wind and moisture isn't a concern?

AKDoc

WKR
For me...I've not noticed a difference. Honestly, since getting the Axis pants, I've never missed nor wished I was wearing my guide pants.

Don’t own guide pants but am a big fan of my axis. If you are going to a place with the right conditions, they are a hell of an option.

Seeknelk

WKR

Do you still use gaiter over the waterproof lower legs?

IMO the Axis pants are the best on the planet!
Have been my go to for years, and I have other choices.
I feel so strongly for these pants, I picked a second pair of the same.

AKDoc

WKR
Yes and no…I typically have my gaiters with me, but don’t often put them on…just depends on the terrain, brush, and wx. I more often go without or put on rain pants.

Do you still use gaiter over the waterproof lower legs?
IMO you can get away with no gaiters.

I took mine on a 6-day hunt in Colorado last year. ~2 of snow. Temps as low as 5*. I wore Sitka timberlines, a heavy base layer and gaiters the first two days.

I swapped into the axis pants and wore the gaiters half the first day. I took them off and didn’t have any issues with snow, even with some significant post holing and no issues with water.

I wouldn’t say they are 100% as effective as gaiters but enough that you could save the weight and hassle. Besides, gaiters and the waterproof lowers would not breathe well.

TFrank

WKR
I also rarely wear my attack/guide pants anymore. Either choose axis for mid-late active hunts or kutanas for spring.

Last edited:

Seeknelk

WKR
IMO you can get away with no gaiters.

I took mine on a 6-day hunt in Colorado last year. ~2 of snow. Temps as low as 5*. I wore Sitka timberlines, a heavy base layer and gaiters the first two days.

I swapped into the axis pants and wore the gaiters half the first day. I took them off and didn’t have any issues with snow, even with some significant post holing and no issues with water.

I wouldn’t say they are 100% as effective as gaiters but enough that you could save the weight and hassle. Besides, gaiters and the waterproof lowers would not breathe well.
Thanks. Just something I wondered about. Seems redundant to layer gaiters over waterproof lower legs if it worked well without in the usual 6"- 18" of snow in our Novembers in Montana. Might have to go with them next. The waterproof seat seems handy, always get some snow that rolls onto my glassing pad and makes me wet where I don't like to be wet.

I bought the Axis pants, gave my Guide pants to my oldest son, and never looked back.
I wear my old Attack or Talus pants until it gets real cold, then I wear the Axis.

I just bought the axis gloves when they had their sale last week and am regretting not buying the pants and jacket. Hiked 13 miles yesterday with full pack and the way they kept my hands warm but were also breathable enough to keep me from sweating once it got above 40 blew me away

JRS3

FNG
I have Tiburons, Kutanas, Attacks, Guides, and Axis……the tiburons have their niche but I could be happy with Kutanas and Axis exclusively. I wear the Attacks occasionally now hunting and more so casually or around the property but the Kutanas are perfect for early and mid season. When the temps drop, I grab the Axis more often than not, especially when there is a chance of moisture.

TFrank

WKR
I have Tiburons, Kutanas, Attacks, Guides, and Axis……the tiburons have their niche but I could be happy with Kutanas and Axis exclusively. I wear the Attacks occasionally now hunting and more so casually or around the property but the Kutanas are perfect for early and mid season. When the temps drop, I grab the Axis more often than not, especially when there is a chance of moisture.
I couldn’t agree more