Kuiu Axis v.s. Sitka Jetstream Jackets

Isaac_Skelton34

FNG
Classified Approved
Hey everybody, new to the site so I am excited to get everybody's feedback.

I am wrestling back and forth between the Kuiu Axis Hybrid Jacket and the Sitka Jetstream Jacket. I see pros and cons to each, I am looking for this to be my cold weather outer layer over base/mid and brooks down jacket. I also have a light weight rain jacket for heavy downpours as I know these arent 100% waterproof but do have good DWR's or waterproof panelings.

What is everybody's suggestions and why? Looking for people who have had and tried both. Would like to know mainly differences between water resistance/wind resistance/durability & warmth. Looking only for comparisons between these 2 jackets, I know the Guide jacket is very popular but I have had it before and I thought it lacked some features these two have. Thanks everybody!

I think it’s obvious the Axis will destroy the Jetstream in short rains as the part of the jacket that will see most of the water is rain shell material. I personally feel that alone makes it the better choice. I’ve had both. I still have the Axis. As far as a cold weather outer layer I feel soft shells don’t fit here. I think softshells are for mid temps during day hunt situations. If it’s below freezing most of the day I’ll have multiple layers with a down being my outer layer glassing. If it’s above freezing but cold I’ll add the rain shell for the outer layer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've had both and don't really like soft shells. Like Ryan said the Axis is better in the rain but the JS is better in the wind and feels warmer to me. I would still want a rain jacket either way.

You think the Jetstream is warmer and better wind protection? I do have a lightweight rain jacket if it was more than your average sprinkler or little snow fall.

If you’re wearing the jacket for the cold your not likely going to be rained on. I’d use the warmer option.

If you’re wearing the jacket for the cold your not likely going to be rained on. I’d use the warmer option.
I agree with this except the warmer option is not a soft-shell. LOL! If you are doing day hunts where weight and/or pack weight are not a concern a soft-shell does have a purpose. If you are packing in and weight is a concern ditch the soft-shell and stay with actual insulation layers.

The jetstream is my most used jacket over the last 5 or so years. Warm for it weight, breaths well and will shed light rain and snow.

I think we will have to agree to disagree on any softshell being warm for the weight. Warm for the weight is down or synthetic down. I rarely wear softshells while hunting anymore.

I would agree the jetstream is better in the wind but if wind is your main concern in a softshell I feel like the guide dcs may be better options more closely resembling the Sitka performance.

I've heard alot of people say the guide is not as warm or windproof as the jetstream

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The only time I am wearing a puffy while i am glassing, the only time I wearing hard shell in while its raining. Both dont do me any favors while i am trying to get in postion to let an arrow go. A soft shell works for that though, and with WS it will cut the wind and keep me warm enough to stay pinned down on a stalk.

I've heard alot of people say the guide is not as warm or windproof as the jetstream

I disagree with that and those are the two jackets I’ve owned the longest.

The only time I am wearing a puffy while i am glassing, the only time I wearing hard shell in while its raining. Both dont do me any favors while i am trying to get in postion to let an arrow go. A soft shell works for that though, and with WS it will cut the wind and keep me warm enough to stay pinned down on a stalk.

This is why it’s great that we have all the options we do. I don’t include softshells in my backcountry system ever.

Have both and wear both. They are 1a and 1b to me. Jetstream seems a touch warmer to me than the axis. Axis seems a bit more breathable and does better in wet conditions. Both are great jackets for late season and there really is no wrong answer here if you are down to these two jackets.

OP, know you asked about owning both which we have not but did look carefully at both before choosing Jetstream. We have pushed that jacket pretty hard in cold (upper teens) and wind (20 - 30knots+) without suffering too bad. We layered w Arcteryx zip-T wool and Sitka heavyweight hoodie. No hoody when moving, opened pit-zips intermittently. Glassing, good for 2 hours and then cold. Excellent wind blockage. AND we had puffy with us, considered but not needed. We chose the Sitka for a little better fit meaning wasn't as trim so layering was better, everybody fits different. In rain, we are big on no wet-out so beyond light or intermittent showers or drizzle we shift to rain jacket. Last, liked it enough to buy a second one in solid color. Interesting piece of gear.

I had a Jetstream for at least 2 maybe even 3 years and it does what it's intended to which is block the wind very well, however I felt it was heavy, bulky, and lacking in breath ability and water resistance particularly with wet heavy snow. This past season I bought the Axis and didn't sell the Jetstream until I could try them both. For me the Axis does what the Jetstream can and also does what the Jetstream could not. Basically I haven't noticed a difference in wind blocking but I don't doubt in super high wind the Jetstream would outperform the Axis. Neither are particularly warm alone, however, when moving with one or two layers in cold with wind is where they really start to work for me. Talking 30's and below with 10-15 mph winds, especially when you start to get into the low 20's or teens I have to use a wind layer or I can't stay warm enough when hiking even if I'm working hard on steep mountains. Axis breathes so much better, still blocks the wind, and holds up to wet snow in particular much better than the jetstream. The fit is different between them so that could be a factor for you as well. If you search my past threads I believe I started almost an identical thread awhile back without much feedback so I went ahead and bought the Axis to find out for myself. Both are better than not having either one, but once you have the Jetstream and realize it's limitations I think you will wish for the axis. I do primarily use these jackets on later season day hunts, however I have packed the Jetstream on backpack hunts 10-12 miles in and wore it the majority of the time in there. Would have been coming out early without it due to the wind and low 20 or teens temps. A rain jacket has a purpose for me but that's when it is raining or possibly a shell glassing, very little application when moving be it travelling or going after an animal. I do very little sit and glass for hours type hunting.

I had a Jetstream for at least 2 maybe even 3 years and it does what it's intended to which is block the wind very well, however I felt it was heavy, bulky, and lacking in breath ability and water resistance particularly with wet heavy snow. This past season I bought the Axis and didn't sell the Jetstream until I could try them both. For me the Axis does what the Jetstream can and also does what the Jetstream could not. Basically I haven't noticed a difference in wind blocking but I don't doubt in super high wind the Jetstream would outperform the Axis. Neither are particularly warm alone, however, when moving with one or two layers in cold with wind is where they really start to work for me. Talking 30's and below with 10-15 mph winds, especially when you start to get into the low 20's or teens I have to use a wind layer or I can't stay warm enough when hiking even if I'm working hard on steep mountains. Axis breathes so much better, still blocks the wind, and holds up to wet snow in particular much better than the jetstream. The fit is different between them so that could be a factor for you as well. If you search my past threads I believe I started almost an identical thread awhile back without much feedback so I went ahead and bought the Axis to find out for myself. Both are better than not having either one, but once you have the Jetstream and realize it's limitations I think you will wish for the axis. I do primarily use these jackets on later season day hunts, however I have packed the Jetstream on backpack hunts 10-12 miles in and wore it the majority of the time in there. Would have been coming out early without it due to the wind and low 20 or teens temps. A rain jacket has a purpose for me but that's when it is raining or possibly a shell glassing, very little application when moving be it travelling or going after an animal. I do very little sit and glass for hours type hunting.
That is super super helpful for me!

Back