Kuiu Customer Service

Capra74

FNG
I've had a lot of good customer service experiences with Kuiu over the years. The people I'd talked to in the past really knew their products and were very friendly and helpful.

It was just my birthday and I got a 20% off coupon. I was going to try a pair of the Scarpa R-Evolutions. The older reviews had said that the sizing was really off, so thought I'd call to see if that was still the case. The first guy I talked to had the communication skills of a potato and about as much personality. After some prodding I figured out that the sizing still runs small. I got the info I needed, so no big deal.

Then, I logged in to actually buy them. The site wouldn't accept the discount code, and on top of that they were charging sales tax. I know online retailers have to charge sales tax, but clothing and footwear aren't taxed in my state. Their sales tax application should know that. So I call back to place the order over the phone. I talked to a woman and explained what was going on. She said that they charge sales tax on all orders. Great, I understand that. But clothing and footwear isn't taxed in my state. "Well, we still have to collect it," was her reply. So I asked her who they pay the tax to. She said the state where the person lives. Great, so you're going to tax me and pay taxes to my state for things that aren't taxable. Makes a lot of sense...,.I think I can get a pair of Scarpa's somewhere else.

High shipping costs, bogus taxes, and disinterested customer service reps. Not a great recipe for continued success.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wonder what the details are with your local tax laws? Could kuiu stuff be classified as a taxable sporting good?

Gonewest

WKR
I’ve had tax added when ordering over the phone. I would bet it’s a law in California.

I’ve had really good luck with Kuiu customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had mixed experiences and have mixed feelings I don’t own a lot of kuiu. Some base layers, a guide jacket, a snap shirt and a couple pair of attack pants.

Had a bad experience with a set of alpine pants being advertised as having a dwr but not having one a few years back, froze my ass off, ruined a day of hunting and went round and round with them about it. Jason finally sent me a note overruling his CS rep and I got a refund.

A year later I ordered the guide jacket and exchanging sizes was a shit show. So I hadn’t ordered anything since then.

I decided to try their new Pro pants and put an order in early Friday. As of late today I hadn’t seen any shipping notice or tracking so I emailed them and it seems the pants are now in the mail. Hope they work better than the last pair. It feels sort of stupid to pay $180 for a pair of pants the manufacturer says is water resistant and know that after the last shit show, I am going to test those things in my shower before I take the tag as off.

I know they are direct to consumer but it Seems like they moved prices up to the same level as you pay for Sitka at retail. If I didn’t like their attack pants and the zip off base layer bottoms so much I am not sure I would still be shopping there.

Poser

WKR
I’d expect that whatever 3rd party e-commerce software they use automatically withholds the appropriate taxes based on the state.

musta got the same person few months back. i believe there was a court ruling on collecting tax that changed things recently. i went to make a purchase and got charged tax.my home state doesnt charge for sales tax on clothing and so i sent them an email. They have since fixed the glitch. i would send them an email to have it fixed. makes you wonder though who holds the money and how long. i would think theyd have to cut a check to the states involved every quarter but not sure and would wonder if it even makes it there. i believe they also charge extra fees for packs to have them assembled. in my opinion they should just include it in the price rather then have it pop up in the cart.

sr80

WKR
I also had a couple negative experiences lately. Took almost 2 months to get a warranty top exchanged, and another issue with a return where they only refunded me the cost of the item, and not the taxes/ shipping i paid for the item. Left a bad taste in my mouth

OP
Capra74

Capra74

FNG
So I emailed their general address n brief note explaining what had happened, and also including documentation from the MN Department of Revenue stating that boots are not taxable.

Within a day, I received a call back. Finally connected today. The guy apologized for the CSR's attitude on the phone and then said that they had realized that they had their boots coded incorrectly as accessories, which is why were showing as taxable. Offered the boots to me at 20% off with free shipping. I consider that making good on the initial problem.

Besides the tax issue, what you may have found out is that discount codes don’t apply to their third party products. At least that’s my experience! I had that issue when I bought a pair of their Scapra’s at a trade show. I thought I was getting 15% off but was charged full price.

Now, what I would say about the boots, they do run a little small yes, 1/2 size up. AND, they’ve held up better than any boot has over a single season. I really have liked mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
I had a series of horrible CS experiences with Kuiu. The very last promted me to cancell a 3200 order and never purchase another kuiu product. That was in the spring of 2016 and I havent missed them at all.

Murph1

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered a guide jacket from them and was sent a rain jacket in a guide jacket wrapper. I called to explain the mix up and they wanted photo proof sent. I explained that I already have a guide jacket and this was not one. I was told I needed to send the jacket back before they would ship the correct one. I needed the jacket for a hunt before that could happen and that I was a platinum member and they should just send it first. No dice. I guess they have more than enough business to worry about keeping any of their loyal members

4ester

WKR
Lots of negative reviews here.......not been my experience.

I had a pair of their Gators fall apart. I contacted customer service, and I paid to send them back. 3 weeks later a brand new set of gators showed up at my step.

One of my hunting partners has had one of their backpacks for many years and it has been used pretty dang hard. The bag had a few seams tearing out, buckles breaking, shoulder straps stitching failing. They covered it and sent him a brand new pack, pro suspension and all.

I will say they arent the fastest, but they did the right thing.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Generally, Tax and shipping are part of an E-comm plugin. Maybe they had the wrong tax info for your area or your area could have weird tax laws.