Kuiu DCS Guide Jacket

floatdogg

FNG
Hello all, after reading many forums about the sizing and fit of the guide jacket I went and ordered a XXL. After some regret I tried to exchange for an XL as this is my regular size however, the order was already mailed out.

I am 6’0 200. I fluctuate as low as 190 when very active after a few months.

did I make a mistake going with the XXL? Everything I read said to size up. I know this topic has been covered many times just looking for some reassurance.

I’m thinking you might want to grab an XL. I’m 5’ 9” 190 and I wear large in the guide and chugach. However, if you’re planning on a bunch of layers underneath the XXL might work for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These run small, I would have reccomended sizing up. I think you'll be happy.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Just wait and see and if wrong size then just return for the correct size. No harm no foul

Nomadx2

Lil-Rokslider
They definitely are at least one size smaller than advertised. Once you receive and want to return, they have a pretty simple return process and include a return shipping label. Make sure you keep all tags, etc. intact.

It will depend on your intended layers and shoulders/chest. Just wait and test it out with your layers.

Mine is a few years old so not sure if they changed sizing, but it runs small. I like my soft shells with some room to layer underneath though so it is partly preference.

exchanging sizes is one of my peeves with kuiu and part of the reason I don’t own much of their stuff. sizing was too inconsistent piece to piece and return shipping adds up.

OP
floatdogg

floatdogg

FNG
Thanks for the replies fellas. After seeing many of you say that it runs small I will try it on and if it isn't comfortable go ahead and swap it. I guess I just didn't want to go through the shipping back and forth but for an investment such as hunting gear I guess it is worth it to get it right. I would like something fitted enough to wear without layering but have room to layer. So maybe the XXL will work out.

OP
floatdogg

floatdogg

FNG
I’m thinking you might want to grab an XL. I’m 5’ 9” 190 and I wear large in the guide and chugach. However, if you’re planning on a bunch of layers underneath the XXL might work for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay this helped give me an idea of how they fit. We'll see how it goes. I wasn't planning on doing any crazy out of state hunts and needing to layer but I guess that is a benefit. I kind of wanted something that was the perfect size. we'll see.
I’m 6 foot, and fluctuate 195-215# (athletic build) and wear a Large. Fits me perfectly.

Oh man! This just threw me off LOL. Now I'm thinking I should've done XL. We'll see how it goes.

While I don’t have the guide jacket I do have several upper pieces from Kuiu. I typically wear a large shirt and the larges from Kuiu fit me well though I don’t have much room under for layering. I have a XL jet stream jacket I wear and it fits well enough by itself but with layers it is great too, so I would say the XL would fit me “perfect” in a Kuiu jacket.
don’t worry about what someone else says about fitment, every body is different and how things fit on you vs someone else don’t make much difference. If you had told me you wear a large normally and bought the XXL I would be more worried, but my guess is you will be ok with the XXL for layering and without.

I'm 5'10" and 200# and the Large always fits me, but my Yukon jacket is XL so I can layer underneath without feeling constricted. If your Guide jacket is going to be your outer shell, nothing wrong with it being a size up.

Honestly, unless you hunt in the desert you might consider returning the XXL DCS, then buy a Yukon jacket in XL. Yukon can do everything the DCS can do but not the other way around, and eliminates need to carry a separate rain jacket. If its hot you won't be wearing an outer shell anyway.

Last edited:

Rock-o

WKR
6' 1". When I bought my XXX I was 250 or just under. Was a little snug through chest and shoulders but 1) there isn't a bigger size and 2) I knew I was going to lose weight. Now I'm almost down to 230 and it fits great.

PredatorX

WKR
That XXL is probably going to be too big on you. I'm 6'3 and a Buck90 and an XL in an Axis is money and those 2 are sized the same. I can fit an FL wilkin, peloton 240, and a kenai under the Axis and have a fit that is not to snug.

If your base and mid layers are sized appropriately and not too baggy you should be fine with an XL.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

PredatorX

WKR
I'm 5'10" and 200# and the Large always fits me, but my Yukon jacket is XL so I can layer underneath without feeling constricted. If your Guide jacket is going to be your outer shell, nothing wrong with it being a size up.

Honestly, unless you hunt in the desert you might consider returning the XXL DCS, then buy a Yukon jacket in XL. Yukon can do everything the DCS can do but not the other way around, and eliminates need to carry a separate rain jacket. If its hot you won't be wearing an outer shell anyway.
Man this is really an interesting thought. I bought the Axis for some late season action but I wonder if the Yukon would have worked. I'd probably be giving up some breathability I suppose.

Man this is really an interesting thought. I bought the Axis for some late season action but I wonder if the Yukon would have worked. I'd probably be giving up some breathability I suppose.

I thought I would do that with the Yukon until KUIU did their world tour and I got to try one on. It’s so oversized that I had to size way down to get a reasonable fit that wouldn’t be excessively loud and had a weird shoulder cut that I decided against it. I typically wear XL base through soft shell with KUIU, large Chugach and needed a medium Yukon and that made the arms short

OP
floatdogg

floatdogg

FNG
Update: Not sure if I am just fat or have a different frame but the XXL actually felt quite comfortable beside the sleeves being half an inch too long. I feel like I can layer underneath and still have room.

You are just you. That’s the important lesson here for anyone else reading, everyone fits things differently so it can be a bit trial and error but in the end it doesn’t matter who wears what, as long as what you wear works for you that’s all that matters