Kuiu gear

Dudlee76

FNG
Just purchased merino 145 base, peleton 200 zip tee mid layer, Kenai insulated jacket mid layer, Rubicon soft shell, and Chugach rain gear. Will this be sufficient for late season Western hunts ? New to the Western hunt thing.

Really depends on what you mean by late season and where exactly in the west. For really cold stuff, that Kenai is probably not the insulation you're looking for. I have their similar poor man's Teton, and love it for a lot of things but once it gets really cold -- remembering glassing in 17 degree weather with strong winds -- it doesn't exactly bundle me up. Shopping for down to either add on or replace depending on the situation.

I'd say it depends on the year. I used the Kenai on a Nov deer hunt this year and it was perfect. I'd probably want a down layer if there was 2' of snow the ground.

The Super Down Ultra would be a good option. Weighs next to nothing and in my opinion has a good warmth to weight ratio. I run it with a Sitka Dew Point hard shell over it when glassing.

Thats a little light for late season. I agree with the 30 degree level for that setup, not including the rain gear on cause it probably wont be most the time. And thats if you’re moving. You stop at 30* with a 10mph wind and i bet you will be cold. You could add a 200 base to your legs, but a down jacket/pants is where its at late season. Ive been warm while hunting in 0* calm weather after a snow storm in a similar setup as you, but wearing the full down layer too. If you cant afford the kuiu off the bat, theres plenty of alternatives. Ive been piecing mine together for years and used a 650 fill cheapo down jacket for a long time.

Get yourself a good puffy and that will take care of you. Wear it under the rain top for v ery cold or cold/windy conditions. Puffy pants too. I actually use the $8.00 mil surplus puffypants, but I won't skimp too much on a puffy jacket.

Back