Kuiu kenai jacket vs super down ultra jacket?

Really torn between these 2 jackets, is there anyone who has owned both who can tell me just how cold it can be while these jackets stay warm? Any other pros and cons between the two? Is the down ultra way warmer or similar ?

I mostly hunt in a very rainy climate but i go on one two week hunting trip per year where cold dry temperatures will be encountered, will either jacket stay warm in -15 Celsius? Any information to sway me in either direction would be much appreciated.

DTC

FNG
I have the Kenai and non-Kuiu down jackets at a similar level, mainly Arc’teryx. In a wet climate the Kenai with a good merino base layer and a fleece 1/4 zip is good for me to stay warm at 0 F (my barometer for -15 C). It’s worth noting that wet climates at that temp usually feel much “colder” than dry climates at the same temp, crazy!

In a dry climate I would chose down every time. It’s warmer due to the loft it delivers and it is almost always lighter than a synthetic (like the Kenai). At 0 F I’m in down (jacket and pants) and in my underwear every time.

To answer your question, because you are mainly in a rainy climate I would go with the Kenai, and then add wool layers when you are in the 2-week cold/dry hunt…Hope this helps!

Are you wanting to be warm at -15C when moving or stationary?

The ULTRA down will not keep you warm at that temperature if stationary. You'd be better served with the PRO down or comparable product from another manufacturer.

While I have the Kenai, I've not used it in the field so I cannot comment on it.

mcseal2

WKR
I have the Kuiu Pro down jacket and the Kenai. The Pro is much warmer than the Kenai. The Kenai is not at all wind resistant either, it’s meant to be worn while moving in cold temps. I have layered the Pro over it when sitting and heard others doing the same.

Best synthetic puffy for stationary in my opinion is the Kifaru pull over. I sold mine for a full zip and regret it. The pull over was warmer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Southernhunters

Lil-Rokslider
I have both and find the Super Down Ultra to be a better mid layer vs an outer layer....and the Kenai the exact opposite. I also find the down too noisy as an outer layer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only have the Kenai, but I find it ideal for hints where you’re alternating between moving and sitting. I could hike in it for shorter periods of moderate exertion in 40 degree temps without getting overheated.

It works well when sitting when the sun starts setting and temps drop below the 60’s.

I’ve worn it sitting in a deer stand at 45 degrees and got cold after an hour and a half or so over a very light merino shirt, I agree it has to do with not being windproof. A shell over this jacket probably adds 15 degrees.

OP
B
Thanks everyone for the replys. I went with the kenai because most of my hunting where i live is done in the rain and will get more use than a down jacket. Extra layers for my mule deer hunt this november

Reactions: DTC

pawlyb

FNG
Hey blacktail,

I knew you were from Vancouver island before clicking your profile based on the questions you were asking. I intend to do the exact same kind of hunting - one mule or moose trip a year to the interior.

How did the kenai fare? Did you layer it under a rain jacket or softshell on VI? What kind of temps could you handle in the interior with it, and what other layers did you need?

OP
B
Hey blacktail,

I knew you were from Vancouver island before clicking your profile based on the questions you were asking. I intend to do the exact same kind of hunting - one mule or moose trip a year to the interior.

How did the kenai fare? Did you layer it under a rain jacket or softshell on VI? What kind of temps could you handle in the interior with it, and what other layers did you need?
Hey, i experienced temps down to -20 with windchill in the interior mid november. I wasn't super toasty but it was definantly manageable to sit for a few hours. I had a couple merino shirts one base layer one heavier weight, a peleton 200 hoodie, the kenai and then chugach rain jacket.

Where it shined was on the island. Merino shirt , kenai and chugach perfect for late season on the island. If i hiked to hard i found myself getting hot. I'm definantly happy with it, for moose hunting in oct it will be money too.

pawlyb

FNG
Hey, i experienced temps down to -20 with windchill in the interior mid november. I wasn't super toasty but it was definantly manageable to sit for a few hours. I had a couple merino shirts one base layer one heavier weight, a peleton 200 hoodie, the kenai and then chugach rain jacket.

Where it shined was on the island. Merino shirt , kenai and chugach perfect for late season on the island. If i hiked to hard i found myself getting hot. I'm definantly happy with it, for moose hunting in oct it will be money too.
That’s great, thanks for the good info

Ctitus25

Lil-Rokslider
Used the Kenai in Western WA. Would have a Sitka Mountain Vest under it to cut the wind and a raincoat to throw over if need be... that being said, I don't remember getting rained out often in it. I dries really fast.

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone make a puff jacket that’s durable enough to wear as an outer layer in the brush? I’ve torn up a couple trying to push through thorns and I’d like to have one that has a durable outer fabric.