Kuiu merino vs synthetic (peloton)

Looking at a pair of the Kuiu zip off bottoms, and undecided which route to go. I've been a big merino fan since I tried it a long time ago, but I was coming from UA cold gear base layers which were kinda a joke in my opinion.

Anyways, I've been looking at the merino 145s and the peloton 200s. I wear them as a base layer when treestand hunting for whitetail, so warmth is important, as well as western hunting. I'm mainly looking for them to be about the same warmth as my midweight (230g), and I'm worried the 145s won't be warm enough, and I'm worried I won't like the peloton as much as merino (feel, wicking, dry time, no stink).

Anyone help me out?

Clarence

WKR
I have the older 210???peloton bottoms I believe. They discontinued them I believe. Wear them for whitetail and glassing. Bit to heavy when mountain hunting, even in late season single digit temps. If you aren't intending on wearing them several days straight in the backcountry, personally would go synthetic. My .02

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
cornfedkiller
How does the warmth to weight ratio compare between the two? As I mentioned, I've been wearing 230g merinos (and 250g First Lite bottoms) and I feel like they provided the right amount of warmth for walking/glassing when it was 25-45 degrees.

Are the peloton 200s warmer than 230g merino? The above post makes me think they might be TOO warm?

I don’t know the answer to your question comparing to merino, but I would say the 200 is not “too warm” at all for what your doing. Relatively thin to be honest and comparable to merino for the same weight. I have not morn my merino 210 out of the house yet but it’s essentially the same loft as my peloton 200. I wore the peloton 200 under guide pants in a tree stand and still needed my superdown pants on a few mornings around 20-30 degrees with some wind. They did get a little warm under my guide pants hiking around in Wyoming when it was 30-40 degrees, but it wasn’t bad, and I’m assuming about the same as the same merino weight would be.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
What pants are you wearing? I usually go with a lighter pant therefore the 200 were perfect. You can take an attack pant with the p200 and be about as as warm maybe warmer than the kuiu guide pant by itself.

OP
cornfedkiller
What pants are you wearing? I usually go with a lighter pant therefore the 200 were perfect. You can take an attack pant with the p200 and be about as as warm maybe warmer than the kuiu guide pant by itself.

Sitka Ascent, Mountain, or Timberline. Or some or those Wrangler outdoor pants.

OP
cornfedkiller
I read the peloton 97s are warmer than the 118s..I'm guessing because its a different fabric, so I think I'm leaning toward the peloton 97 or the 200.

Can anyone compare the different Peloton weights to Sitka synthetic base layers? Is the 97 like a midweight core and the 200 is like a heavyweight core? Or is that not a good comparison?

I have a pair of down pants for if its too cold when I'm stationary, so I'm basically looking for a pair of base layers that get me from needing some base layers up to when I can take them off and be comfortable without any - I don't want anything that's more of a "mid" layer.

Benjblt

WKR
I read the peloton 97s are warmer than the 118s..I'm guessing because its a different fabric, so I think I'm leaning toward the peloton 97 or the 200.

Can anyone compare the different Peloton weights to Sitka synthetic base layers? Is the 97 like a midweight core and the 200 is like a heavyweight core? Or is that not a good comparison?

I have a pair of down pants for if its too cold when I'm stationary, so I'm basically looking for a pair of base layers that get me from needing some base layers up to when I can take them off and be comfortable without any - I don't want anything that's more of a "mid" layer.

Go with 200's. The 97's will be warmer then the 118's as the 97 is fleeced. I think the 97 would the best all around but if you are stationary the 200 will be much better for that.

Have you ever felt the Kuiu merino? It's not as soft as other merino wools. I think the First Lite's merino is MUCH more comfortable than Kuiu's. Everybody is different. Just wanted you to be aware that Kuiu merino may disappoint you.

wybry

FNG
I agree with Elkstabber, kuiu merino is pretty itchy on my skin. I bought an upper merino base layer and I couldn't go an hour in it around the house when I first got it. Ive heard that goes away a little after a few washes but not much. For this reason I bought peloton 145 bottoms and I think they are awesome.

OP
cornfedkiller
Thanks for the help. After more research, I ended up getting a pair of the peloton 97s and initial impressions is that I think they were just what I was looking for. The fit is about perfect - they fit a little more snug than the merino bases I'm used to, but they are so stretchy that it doesn't matter. The fabric feels great, the inner fleece is very soft, and should be just the right weight. They seem like they are about the same warmth as the midweight merinos I've been wearing.

IMO the ONLY thing the KUIU merino has over the rest is the zip off feature - I don't know if they patented it or what but if it's an open design that anyone can use ALL the other makers are missing a "big boat" by not making some - to be able to shuck your bottoms as the temps rise or you are more active is HUGE as far as I can figure

IMO the ONLY thing the KUIU merino has over the rest is the zip off feature - I don't know if they patented it or what but if it's an open design that anyone can use ALL the other makers are missing a "big boat" by not making some - to be able to shuck your bottoms as the temps rise or you are more active is HUGE as far as I can figure
I did some searching and was not able to find any other company that uses full length zippers. They are a huge game changer. I wear the Peloton 97s over the FL wick 3/4 merino bottoms. When the morning chill burns off and I start moving the 97s go into the pack in seconds and the FL wicks stay on all day. This system has worked great for me.

Apex_Hunt

FNG
after ordering the 210 I was very surprised by how thin the 210 was. I would definitely go an alternative route but definitely use merino as the base layer I believe that helps keep you dry more than anything out there.