Kuiu pant summary and fit

Hi all,

i have a decent amount of Kuiu tops which in the past I have worn with 5.11 pants or a few other brands of insulated pants I already have, but I wanted to pick up a new pair.

can anyone give a basic breakdown of the major differences between the pants. I already understand the Tiburion is the lightweight heat pant and the Attack is the all around pant but wondering about the differences between the others and the Attack.

I will be hunting in Quemado in mid October if that helps.

Im also assuming I should go one size up from my daily wear size if I may end up needing a base layer or two under from time to time?

thanks

AF

Venom One

WKR
On the Kuiu site you can use their Compare tool. It gives great side-by-side comparisons of each product you select.

LongCut

FNG
I agree. Use their chart to compare. I initially got my normal size, but it left no room for layers, or tucking shirts in. I went a size up, and they fit great. The attacks are great. Super comfortable with really good/functional pockets. The side zips are a huge plus. Not sure I can go back to pants without them.

I bought the guide pants. They were super comfortable but seemed more like pajama pants than hunting pants. Plus I didn't like the idea of being stuck in super warm pants. with no way to shed if needed.

I sent them back and got the Talus pants. They seem to be tougher than the attacks, plus I love the idea of the water-resistant seat and lower legs. No a lot of miles on them yet, bt I feel like I will love these as well.

Tiburon: Nice for hot weather but somewhat overrated. Material picks and piles easily. Anything with a point (ex: mosquito or cactus) goes right through. Note: This is for Gen 1 and don’t know if any shortcomings were addressed in Gen 2.

Kutana: Works well in hot weather down to cool temperatures. Does not pick or pile easily. Mosquitos do not get through. Pretty much retired my Tiburons and run these even in temperatures over 110. These are my favorite hunting pants as they’ve proven themselves in a variety of terrain, weather, and temperatures.

Attacks: Most overrated pants of all time. Very comfortable but has terrible durability. Picks and piles too easily. Good for cool and colder temperatures.

Pros: These are what the Attacks should have been. Comfortable to wear and material is more durable. Good for cool to colder temperatures.

Talus: No field time in them due to weather conditions on hunts not requiring them. May be going with me to Kodiak in October.

OP
A
Somehow I missed the compare tool and was trying to open each individually to compare which made it a lot to try to sort out. This is helpful… though I had attacks in my cart now I’m on the fence about them again

I bought a pair of their casual Basecamp pants in size 40, fit like size 40 Bought a pair of 5-Pocket Pants in size 40, they fit like size 40. Bought a pair of Kutana's the other week in size 38 (lost 50lbs this year so far) and they fit like 38's. I have a 34L, and everything so far has seemed to fit good with the length as well. That is always the hit/miss with things. Overall, everything has seemed to fit 'true to size' for myself.

Tiburon: Nice for hot weather but somewhat overrated. Material picks and piles easily. Anything with a point (ex: mosquito or cactus) goes right through. Note: This is for Gen 1 and don’t know if any shortcomings were addressed in Gen 2.

Kutana: Works well in hot weather down to cool temperatures. Does not pick or pile easily. Mosquitos do not get through. Pretty much retired my Tiburons and run these even in temperatures over 110. These are my favorite hunting pants as they’ve proven themselves in a variety of terrain, weather, and temperatures.

Attacks: Most overrated pants of all time. Very comfortable but has terrible durability. Picks and piles too easily. Good for cool and colder temperatures.

Pros: These are what the Attacks should have been. Comfortable to wear and material is more durable. Good for cool to colder temperatures.

Talus: No field time in them due to weather conditions on hunts not requiring them. May be going with me to Kodiak in October.
Kutana x 2. VERY impressed with these pants. Was on the fence with these pants versus the SG DeHaviland Lite. In the end, I chose the Kutana because of the mesh behind the zipper. Actually thinking about another pair in a more neutral color, other than grey.

OP
A
Yeah I’m thinking I’m gonna get a neutral color for now. I feel there is minimal advantage to them being camo but can wear them to work like I do with my 5.11 ridgelines the rest of the year

Kutana x 2. VERY impressed with these pants. Was on the fence with these pants versus the SG DeHaviland Lite. In the end, I chose the Kutana because of the mesh behind the zipper. Actually thinking about another pair in a more neutral color, other than grey.
I have a pair in grey and ash. Figure that’ll cover a lot of terrain types as well as allow me to wear them when not hunting.

My grey pair has at least 45 days of use with the last 14 days being in the roughest terrain I’ve ever been in. They still look really good and are in a lot better shape than my Attacks did after one day of a desert bighorn sheep hunt (pretty gentle landscape and terrain).

Spot on review right there.

Tiburons are excellent for hot weather and hot hiking, they breathe excellent and the slightest breeze goes right thru. They are fairly durable for lighter/medium duty use. They stretch real well and fit slightly looser.

For more durability, Kutanas rule. Busting heavy brush is no problem. Still very breathable in hot weather. They stretch slightly less than Tiburons and the fit is slightly slimmer especially from the knee down. If you're gonna pick just one, go Kutana. You can wear Kutanas year round perhaps with a base layer for moderate winter conditions.

Last edited:
OP
A
Picked the kutana. If I can get 2 inches off my waist or so in the next 2 month I will have a lot of extra room in kutanas for layering end be able to also get back in a nice pair of heavy waterproof insulated pants I already have. Have lost about 22 lbs in past 2 months and training is peaking so I think I’ll be good to go. Should have some extra room in the kutanas regardless but we will see in a few days when I try them on .

I have a pair in grey and ash. Figure that’ll cover a lot of terrain types as well as allow me to wear them when not hunting.

My grey pair has at least 45 days of use with the last 14 days being in the roughest terrain I’ve ever been in. They still look really good and are in a lot better shape than my Attacks did after one day of a desert bighorn sheep hunt (pretty gentle landscape and terrain).
What color spectrum does the ash align with? Everyone is different with the FL Ash being Grey, but the Ash in the Kutana aligns closer with the SG DeHaviland Lite. Just want to know if it is a ‘brown/grey’ color. The pair that I have is in the Gunmetal, and love that color.

What color spectrum does the ash align with? Everyone is different with the FL Ash being Grey, but the Ash in the Kutana aligns closer with the SG DeHaviland Lite. Just want to know if it is a ‘brown/grey’ color. The pair that I have is in the Gunmetal, and love that color.
Brown-ish with a green tint to my eyes. Both the Gunmetal and Ash look darker to me than what the photos show.

Photo taken in kitchen.
8DBDCD0A-97CE-448F-8F71-B6087902D66D.jpeg

Photo taken outside.473068AE-3EF4-4305-8666-D9EB8F4EB069.jpeg

TheTone

WKR
Thanks all for the insight. I’ve been debating between kutana and attacks and reading this makes me lean more towards kutanas

I wish I would have read this thread earlier, I just ordered two pairs of the attack pants. I’ll have to ordered a pair of katanas to try out. The compare function is helpful but it’s also nice to hear from folks have have field experience in the different models and how they hold up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cargyle13

FNG
I think this help me decide to go with a Kutana over the attacks. Just curious if anyone has comparison between the ash and the new bourbon color